primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    JRPG > all.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2009
    I can't complain about JRPG's -- Some are very good and yes, they are all pretty much the same.. But still enjoyable :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I like a JRPG as much as the next guy, but it's not like EVERY American game is filled with massive macho dudes (Portal, Half Life, COD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect...)

I need to pick up some JRPGs when I get some spare time. Haven't had a good immersive game in a while.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    I enjoy JRPG's but I also find that they are pretty much all the same. Specially the recent run on them. They have become less about playing a role and more about clicking a few buttons between the CGI.

Plus while it's true that many North American RPG's are the same. I'm am kind of growing tired of the JRPG formula of androgynous looking boy child grows up to save the planet from the evil overlord with his gaggle of friends.

I just don't find I can get imeresed in a story line that plays out the same regardless of what I do. I can watch the CGI Eye Candy or (if I'm lucky) I can skip it. But the meat of the game is walk forward kill everything in sight. They seldom have branching quests or real decisions to make. North American RPG's usually at least give you a greater sense of freedom of exploration and a variety of side quests to do along the way. I find they are better at making me feel immersed in the story.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    I'm a diehard anime fan. I eat Moe and cute things for breakfast.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I like JRPGs. I also like WRPGs. The older I get I find myself enjoying WRPGs moreso than JRPGs, mostly because the JRPG formula has become old to me as well.

But it is interesting to note the cultural differences in the game types. Japan is hardly excluded from the over-sexed women look however. Their representation is just different then America's approach to the matter. With their cultural views being more open to sexuality, I'd suggest they push those boundaries more aggresively then we do.

America has the 'space marines shoot up aliens' genre and Japan has the 'little boy grows up saves world' genre. And korea has 'play this MMO until I pass out'. It's all dependant on cultural views.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    As long as we're all coming out of the closet here I'll also admit that I watch anime and play JRPGs. I'm playing Ar Tonelico 2 now and mean to start Star Ocean 4 soon.

-drasnor :fold:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I've yet to meet a "grown man" on Icrontic

exception: mondi.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Drasnor - I played and really enjoyed Star Ocean the Second Story but missed out on Till The End of Time. Did you play it? Recommend?
    edited March 2009
    Till the End of Time was ok to Second Story's excellence. Unfortunately, Till the End of Time breaks the series (there won't be any more that happen AFTER it) so I'm not terribly fond of it for plot reasons. Having to train your party AI's was annoying as well (the AI controlling the rest of your party emulates your behavior last time you controlled each character. Characters you never play tend to act stupid.) The Star Ocean 1 remake for the PSP (using the Star Ocean 2 engine) is pretty enjoyable though.

• edited March 2009
    Since I have been on campus so much lately due to 2ish hr breaks in between classes, I have been playing my DS again and getting random JRPGs...I surprisingly enjoy more than I initially had assumed I would. Unfortunately, the only console I have is my 360, I have very few options there.
    edited March 2009
    I liked Star Ocean 3 more than Star Ocean 2. I only loved Star Ocean 2 for the incredibly bad dub, it was so bad, it was good. Too bad the redo of SO2 on the PSP has a new dub. I'm gonna miss such famous lines as, "Claude has advanced forward!" "Mother!!!!"

I still prefer JRPGs to WRPGs. I play both and enjoy both but I always connect with JRPGs better, even if WRPGs tend to have better gameplay mechanics. The best JRPGs are still my faves, and there are precious few of them, since a lot depend on the same old game mechanics.

But last gen we had real gems like Persona 3/4 and Dragon Quarter; so far this gen there really hasn't been anything that stacks up to games like those.
    edited March 2009
    cambrose wrote:
    Since I have been on campus so much lately due to 2ish hr breaks in between classes, I have been playing my DS again and getting random JRPGs...I surprisingly enjoy more than I initially had assumed I would. Unfortunately, the only console I have is my 360, I have very few options there.
    The OP recommends Eternal Sonata (now $20 on 360). Lost Odyssey is also alright, and I'm getting ready to start Star Ocean 4.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Blue Dragon
    Enchanted Arms
    Lost Odyssey
    Eternal Sonata
    Last Remnant
    Star Ocean 4

and so on. The jrpg list on the 360 is growing.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Ugh...I HATED Enchanted Arms. I couldn't even sit through watching Eli play 20 minutes of it.
    edited March 2009
    Enchant Arms, Blue Dragon, these games were way too oldschool JRPG. It's hilarious how RPGs on the PS2 like Persona 3 and Dragon Quarter were more "nextgen" than these next gen RPGs.
    edited March 2009
    Mochan wrote:
    Enchant Arms, Blue Dragon, these games were way too oldschool JRPG. It's hilarious how RPGs on the PS2 like Persona 3 and Dragon Quarter were more "nextgen" than these next gen RPGs.
    What does this mean?

• edited March 2009
    I'll look into those on the 360 when I get a chance, I have fifty or so games downloaded on the DS to still play.
    edited March 2009
    Just saying that the gameplay concepts of PS2 games like Persona 3/4 and Dragon Quarter were more advanced/nextgen than those you found in games like Blue Dragon or Enchant Arms, which were really throwback RPGs to the age of Final Fantasy IV.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Runes of magic started off as being a JRPG. It's definitely pretty cool, and free too
    edited April 2009
    Is that an MMO?

I just finished watching Tower of Druaga, Sword of Uruk. Druaga is the only big name JRPG MMO that I know of, but I'm not really into MMOs. I really only found out about it thanks to my anime obsession rather than my gaming obsession.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't bother with these games, despite them looking awesome, because of the turn-based-multiple-character gameplay. I'd like a game like Sonata that had one character and it was real time combat.
    edited October 2011
    Hinderence: Did you ever try the Tales series? They're also somewhat real-time.
    Still loving it.