Getting the 'A network cable is unplugged' message

Aragorn26Aragorn26 Athens Greece
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech
Here's the situation.....

A few days ago, for some reason, my internet cut off.

Additionally, on all 4 computers of my home network (all of them on a Vigor 2700G ADS L+2 Modem-Router), every 5-10 seconds an error pops up reading, "A network cable is unplugged,"It does all the process, like I have switched off the modem and then connects again.

Sometimes I get hours of uninterrupted browsing, but other times, especially when I open many trackers for my torrents the warning comes up, I loose connection to the internet, and then keeps doing that for a while.

And to put the icing on the cake, sometimes my internet speed is drastically slower than usual, probably something to do with the "A network cable is unplugged" error popping up every few seconds. I wonder if I'm constantly losing/regaining connection some how?

I checked from the modem control panel, and I am not loosing the connection to my ADS L provider. The modem is connected ok.From the modem to the PCs somewhere lies the problemo.... network issue...

Anyways, I've made sure that every cable is plugged in and secure, yet I'm still getting these errors. I also downloaded and updated the drivers-firmware and rebooted the modem back to the factory settings. still nada.... Virus check as well.
Everytime I open many sites on Mozilla and start downloading the problem re-appears.

I have BitDefender, but I do not think this is part of the problem since I had it before this happened.It is extremely annoying...

I have an Intel(R)Pro/1000 CT Network card. Set to 100Mbps/Full Duplex

Any suggestions? Please?

I also did an ipconfig/all and here are the results

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : thebeast
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-E9-CA-8C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.5.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.5.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.5.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.5.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 April 2009 21:26:52
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 April 2009 21:26:52

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    It sounds like your router is shitting the bed. If you have a router/modem combo box, my theory still applies. I bet your issues would go away if you swap the modem.

I will also note that the modem part of your device is separate from the router part. They have separate chips. The router part is crapping out.
  • Aragorn26Aragorn26 Athens Greece
    edited April 2009
    I was afraid I was going to get bad news :-).... I hope it is still under warranty...I will give it a try to sort it out, but I was also worried about that... How can I test that it is the router??without still buying a new one?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    If it does turn out to be a bad router, you won't have to spend a fortune on a new one. Check out your local Craigslist's computer section. If your CL is like ours, there are routers for cheap on sale routinely. Also, you could put an add in our trading post, here.
    edited April 2009
    New symptom it takes 187 minutes to transfer from one PC to another an episode of House :-) Maybe I should blame the doctor..... Downloading works great...So I think the router as you all say is dying a slow and painful death...
    edited April 2009
    If I missed it above, sorry, but have you tried resetting the router - pulling the power for a couple minutes and reconnecting?

I have to do that a couple times a year on our IPTV/ADSL system: shut down all computers, TV off, ADSL modem off, signal distribution box off, and router off; then power everything back on one device at a time.
    edited April 2009
    Did that.... no change at all... the chaos starts when I start to open many tabs on Mozilla and start opening trackers for downloading. Not only then but then is consistent and does not recover. I have to shut down Mozilla. Also Bitdefender has stopped reporting network activity as well... hmmmmm the PC loses communication with the network card... connecting-disconnecting. the router-modem is online several days now. so the problem lies somewhere between modem-router-windows-network card... prety clear eh?
    edited April 2009
    Time for a new network card, perhaps.
    edited April 2009
    I thought of that, but the same thing happens to all the PCs on my network...
    edited April 2009
    Reflash the firmware on the router. If problems persist, itit may be time for a new router. They are usually dirt cheap on Craigslist, with Linksys G models popping up frequently.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2009
    Sounds like your typical router mode modem.

If you only have one or 2 computers just throw it in bridged mode (This causes your modem to bridge your internets pvc to the lan) Allowing you to just do pppoe on your clients effectively eliminating the router from the equation and using the router just as a switch.

Heres instructions on creating a pppoe connection on xp.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070

Just a heads up if you probably can't use more then 3 sessions at once (3 pc's) as most isp's have a limit of 3 or 5 so you don't exhaust there ip pool.

If you want to just replace it with a good dedicated modem and a deticated router, For modem's I recommend the SpeedTouch 516 (Model ST516) v6 or higher since they have the newer broadcom chipset. And for the router I reccomend either a Linksys Wrt54GL flashed with dd-wrt or Asus WL500G Premium (Stock firmware isn't too bad but you can flash dd-wrt if you want as its much better).

Just a heads up when buying a adsl modem, The only 2 brands that seem to know what there doing and make quality modems still around are 2wire and Thompson (They use the speedtouch brand)

If your hearts set on a router/modem combo 2wires are probably the best you will get.
    edited April 2009
    Happy Easter to everyone...

amazingly enough, before going online and buying a new router-modem, although I will do that, since I saw some pretty interesting things the days that I was doing my research, I decided to uninstall Bitdefender 2009 Total Security and give it a try... and YES the problem disappeared!!!!!

So the culprit was in fact Bitdefender.... and now what do I do?? since I have paid them for a year's license... and why all of a sudden and not from the beginning???

I have sent them an e-mail and waiting for an answer.... we will see..

adios amigos..
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys, do not let me die alone.... still have the problem. Any ideas? Has anyone before had the same problem? Still no answer from Bitdefender team. I am sensing a dark force around me...