Strange ping issue

ChipChip Dallas Member
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech
First off, here's my network setup:

Linksys WRV54G wireless router 192.168.1.1
Frankenshark (my compy) static IP 192.168.1.2
Wife's compy 192.168.1.3
Kid's compys on DHCP in 192.168.1.100-112 range

I developed a strange ping issue on my main rig, Frankenshark. I don't know when the issues started, because it seems to be isolated to incoming connections. I can browse the network, ping other computers, use a networked printer, cruise the 'net.. you name it.

I first noticed there was an issue, when my daughter said she didn't have music anymore. Her computer plays music from my computer. What happened was sharing was now broken. I couldn't get her computer to reshare. I couldn't browse my Frankenshark computer. I couldn't even ping it!

Of course I can ping the router FROM Frankenshark, but my router cannot ping my Frankenshark back.

I went through my NIC's settings and I don't see anything squirrelly. I went through all the firewall settings in Windows and they all seem to match my correctly working computers, even ICMP.

Right now I'm checking out the NIC (D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit) to see if the NIC card's settings are correct.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I am going to move this to networking and security so it gets the attention it needs.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    NICs can definitely go bad and do weird things like this, so consider the possibility that the NIC is shot; It could also be a bad patch cord.

more likely though, it's a software problem. Do you have any antivirus/security/whatnot on Frankenbox?
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited April 2009
    NICs can definitely go bad and do weird things like this, so consider the possibility that the NIC is shot; It could also be a bad patch cord.

more likely though, it's a software problem. Do you have any antivirus/security/whatnot on Frankenbox?
    How could the patch cables be bad, I made them :) ::sarcasm::
    I'm getting a good, consistent 1Gig connection. Onboard diagnostics and my cheapo LAN tester show good wiring.

I'm with you.. some goofy software thing. I'm running AVG free version 8.5 and Windows firewall. I disabled them both... still no dice. I've got 3 NICs in this thing. The onboard NICS (NVidia and Marvell) quit giving me Gig speeds so I popped in the D-Link Gig NIC. I might reconnect to one of the other NICs for kicks.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    The onboard NICS (NVidia and Marvell) quit giving me Gig speeds so I popped in the D-Link Gig NIC. I might reconnect to one of the other NICs for kicks

Sounds like the next logical step.