Slipstreaming Windows XP

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    One thing you might try is to find a newer driver for your card and slipstream that onto the disc. Also go out of your way to be sure that you've not removed any networking components. Though if you followed the guide exactly as indicated, it should be okay. I still use a very similar setup for my discs, and I'm able to use a wired network connection w/ DHCP without issue.

TL;DR -- I suspect an SP3/old-ass driver conflict.
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks, I'll be sure to check into that. If there is indeed a conflict with Sp3 and the onboard lan there has to be a driver upgrade out there (well, maybe :D). I did follow the guide pretty much to the letter, adding firefox, avg and some unattended setup stuff. That exact install worked on another machine of mine, so I'm leaning towards that lan drive issue as well.

Thanks again for the great original post as well as the prompt responses on the thread!

-V
  • edited February 2009
    After following the instructions, the resultant CD gets to "Setup is inspecting your hardware", then screen goes blank and nothing happens. I slipped the INTEL folder into windows. Left everything else defaulted. Burned to a CDRW.

However, I installed Windows 2k successfully, then "upgraded" to XP also successfully.

I would much prefer a clean XP sp3 install.

Hardware = DELL precision t5400 with 2xQuad processor.

Any advice?
    edited February 2009
    Are you familiar with what chipset that SMP quad rig is using? The AHCI controller may be slightly different than the reference version supplied in our package. Go to this post and download the drivers at the end. Slipstream the drivers from the flppy32 folder for 32-bit OSes, or the flppy64 folder for 64-bit OSes. That should get you going. :)
  • edited March 2009
    I just found this website after needing to install XP on a PC with no floppy drive. The drivers on the Microsoft CD would not boot, so I used your software to add them to the installation CD. Worked a treat once I got all the correct drivers! Thanks for a great tool.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Glad we could help you, Jonathan. We have a ton of cool articles and tips. ;)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Just FYI, I've used this guide 3 times in the last year. Works every time.
  • edited April 2009
    I have one question How do I include .net 2.0 framework in my install
    Thanks in advance
    Kevin
    edited April 2009
    Unfortunately nobody seems to have made an nLite addon for the .Net 2.0 framework. :(
  • edited April 2009
    My Windows XP has only SP1 on it, (SP2 crashed the computer very badly when I tried to install it when it came out years ago, so ended up rolling back to SP1). I'm about to do a refomat to sort this and get up to date. However it would appear that I can't use the slipstreaming method as nLite needs net2.0 framework, and that appears to need SP2. Is this correct?

Thanks

Mel
    edited April 2009
    Microsoft .NET 2.0 will install on Windows XP SP1, it's just not a supported configuration. :) Microsoft isn't very clear about that.
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks, that was quick!

By the way, great website, great information, very clearly written and very thorough.

Mel
    edited April 2009
    You're very welcome, Mel. Hopefully you'll stop by again in the future. I'm glad we could help. :)
  • edited April 2009
    I am new to slipstreaming and trying to get my Dell Studio 1737 to dual boot Vista and XP Pro. I am stuck on which SATA drivers to use for my Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset. Is what I need in the 8.3.1.1009 folder? Stuck with nLite on adding the correct driver. thanks in advance...
    edited April 2009
    Yes.
  • edited April 2009
    rob, thanks for your help and the guide. try the install tomorrow.
    edited April 2009
    Absolutely. :) Let me know if you run into any stumbles.
  • edited May 2009
    hi,
    i get this to work no problem when inserting a single driver, but as soon as i nominate a folder, i get the blue screen saying windows has shutdown, hard drive corruption etc.
    i have an intel x38 chipset and select the iaStor sata .inf.
    1.can i take the iaahci ones out of the drivers folder?
    2.how many files do i need when trying to integrate a particular driver? just the .inf file?
    any help appreciated.
    btw i am installing onto a raid 0/1 volume and as i say it works no problem if i just select single driver/iaStor, but im hoping to slipstream my graphics, chipset driver, LAN driver and some other addons.
    cheers
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    The RAID driver won't be dependent on the chipset (Intel northbridge and southbridge set in this instance) drivers, rather the particular RAID chip that is installed on your motherboard. Have you looked at the manufacturer's site for their drivers list for your specific motherboard model?

What brand and model motherboard are you using.
  • edited May 2009
    its a gigabyte X38-DQ6.
  • edited August 2009
    Great guide, I've made a slipstream disc to incorporate my RAID drivers into an XP Pro install...problem is, my product code is no longer being accepted? I've made the disc label the same as the original disc but I'm thinking it's got something to do with me adding SP3 to the slipstreamed disc.
  • edited October 2009
    Complicated; NEED HELP. I have tried slipstreaming before with my friends gateway laptop with Nlite and could not get it to work. I then found out a site that told me what to download to a floppy, bought a usb floppy and got xp to install. New laptop now, for work.

Acer aspire 5535
    AMD Turion X2
    320 seagate sata HDD
    Had vista on it

Already did the research the chipset is "amd 770g"
    I have done a million things to get this to work and still no success. I am using a windows xp pro student edition if that matters. I followed the slipstreaming process on this site to a "T" and I get a blue window during the initial loading where on the bottom of the screen in light grey you see what is loading. Right after I load just about everything
    I get an error stating "The file ahcix64.sys cannot be found Press any key to continue" and when I do it restarts.

In your driver pack for amd you do not have that driver, so I don't know what to do. I did the next best thing. So i manually put the "ahcix86.sys" file from your Driver/amd/sb700/x86 folder, onto the new install disk via the explore tab in NLite at the end after you create an .iso file. I manually coppied the file into the "I386" folder and both the folders I386/nldvr/001 - I386/nldvr/002. Now so you know I did find a file called ahcix86.sy_ which it labels as a SY_ file and not a system file like the computer said it was missing.

Now the computer hangs up at the same point and displays the same error.

I have downloaded the chipset driver from acer for xp and it is kinda complicated. If you reply to this i will send you pics.

I know that my problem is with the driver for the chipset section, I really need some more precise help. I understand computers well, just not programming. Thank you for the help.
  • edited October 2009
    Hey I fixed the issue. And of course it was my mistake. You see, when I first inserted drivers I added both yours and the new ones that I downloaded from acer. Unfortunatly I did not understand the x64 and the x86. Now I do. For some reason when you download the acer chipset driver, they give you both and you only want one. My particular version of xp is 32 bit and for soem reason that correspondes to the X86 where as the 64 bit version corresponds to the X64 which actually makes sense.

My other issue was that I had to start from scratch with NLite. If i loaded previous settings it only added them to the disk even though after a load I deleted the ones on there previously. Hard to understand that one but hey so far so good. I have at least made it to the formatting screen so we will see how it continues to go. Once again thank you for this amazingly well put instruction set on NLite. You are a life saver.
    edited October 2009
    Glad you got everything sorted out! :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    So i am jumping into this guide in hopes to get XP installed on my new system. I think the SATA drivers were the issue. But I have my first disc spitting out & will report what happens when i try it out :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I ran into a snag where I jacked something up and when i re did everything somehow Service pack 3 copied over 2 times making the Windows CD folder to big to put on 1 disc. I re did the entire process and now have the size down to just over 400MB. Disc install & test to come.
  • edited October 2009
    Robert,

I want to thank you and this forum, it saved me big time. About 4 weeks ago my PC died. The MOBO and the power supply died. I RMA'd them both but had a spare POwersupply, I needed to get the my gaming rig up and running again. I purchased a new MOBO.

I was running Raid on my old ASUS P5N32-sli. The new board I purchased, (could not wait for RMA). The new one was a P5Q Turbo, I received it started the installation and wanted to load the Raid drivers. Guess what no Floppy drive connector. I called ASUS their response was try slipstreaming since XP will only accept drivers from floppys. I did some researchand downloaded nLite and make a disk, it got me further, them I had a "jraid.sys is corrupt" and installation would quit. I thought maybe I messed up the slipstream disk, so I made another, no joy. I was chocked, I phoned ASUS again, they said an external Floppy should do the trick, so I bought one. Got it home and make the RAID disk, was pumped, only to find it would not work either. I Then phoned Windows a few time spoke to a person that spent lots of time listining to the problems. But after about 1 hour on the phone, was informed only way I could get it working was but the full version of Windows 7. That made me mad enough I googled some more and got a hit on this web site. I followed your instructions made a slipstream disk, and XP installed first try. I am sorry for the long response, I was at my wits end and your forum helped me. I will be on here a lot more looking for info.

Thanks Again
    edited October 2009
    I'm so glad that Icrontic could help you. :) Thank you for taking the time to let us know!
  • edited November 2009
    Thrax,

This link is dead: http://icrontic.com/downloads/slipstream_windows_xp_drivers

What is the new link for your driver repository
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Ryan, you should be able to grab it from:
    http://tech.icrontic.com/downloads/slipstream_windows_xp_drivers

cheers :jared: