Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink review

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2009
    Good review and nice HSF. I'd imagine it would be important to have good air flow in the case. It would be hard to direct air flow to it so you would want the ambient case temps low as could be.

Sure is flashy though. Hrmmm.. I like flashy.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Komete. This thing really pushes the air around across the board. I think if you had a case with the standard one front and one rear fan + PSU fan, you'd be better off with something like this than with a tower-style HSF that only pushes air one direction.

Stick it in an Antec Nine Hundred or NZXT Tempest, and it should really shine.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    This thing just looks very bad-ass. I'd buy one, if I had a cool see-through case to show it off.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited April 2009
    That thing looks awesome. I'd get one, but I already have a monstrous Coolermaster Hyper Z600. And I'm pretty happy with it, the pain it was to install!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Probably an ugly idea, but in a closed case, might be a worthwhile experiment.

What if you build a direct vent around the mouth of that monster, directly to the rear fan port on your case?

I am betting this is a mod project that would pull your mobo temp down at least a couple degrees centigrade.

This type of design really demands a case that rejects heat well at the rear. If you have that natively with a big fan, that's one thing, but with a fan and a duct, not practical mind you for a pretty case install, but for a closed case where temps are the only concern you might gain some performance guiding that side rejected heat through a duct right out the rear exhaust.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Will ducting work when the fan pushes air radially outward from the fins, not side to side like other tower coolers? I'm not sure ducting to the mouth will do anything significant; the added airflow might help the fins cool faster, but that dispersed air will go into the case rather than through the duct, I think.

Nice looks on the thing, I'll give it that.
    edited April 2009
    I don't think ducting would work with this fan because it takes in air from both ends of the fin cylinder. I suppose you could try ducting air into both mouths but it'd be hell on case space.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2009
    Great review, Pete :)
    edited April 2009
    Thank you sir!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    You know you've reached ubiquity when the first thing on an enthusiast's mind is: "Does it beat a TRUE?"

in b4 concave bases
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I see, so the majority of the airflow is pushing between those fins and not ejecting past the mouth of the cooler?

Interesting. I have seen designs like this, but have never used one if I am being honest. Now that you guys say it, I see it a little better, its more like a cage fan than an axial in there.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    That's why they call 'er the squirrel cage. :D
  • edited April 2009
    Thermaltake has been around for a while now, and I have used their products in many custom installations for my customers. Their performance has yet to truely disappoint me, in fact they haven't yet. The most important thing that any system builder will ever tell you if they know what they are doing, is that the lower the ambiant temperature of the case, the better. So, this means that we need plenty of convective air flow in the case so that the CPU cooler can perform as it should. Then if we use a well made, good quality CPU cooler, we will get better performance from our processor.

Why? Good Question.

Because the cooler the etchings inside the CPU are, the faster the electrons can move through the chip. This is because the molecules are closer together therefore better and faster electron flow. This means faster throughput from your processor, and more room for overclocking if that is what you want to do.

Great review guys...!!!
  • edited April 2010
    I just bought this product and I am EXTREAMLY happy with it. It cools like NONE other.