2»

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Nice!
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited April 2009
    Thanks!

Anyway seems 1.43v did the job its over 1.5hours stable now.... Temps all round are at the comfortable limit (I dare not run linpack if prime is hitting 70c!) - I think this may be my winter setup to keep the house warm! - but 3.4Ghz is a very easy clock all round with my rig, its a lazy sweetspot!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2009
    Good job! Time and patience are the keys.
    edited April 2009
    Yes its often a battle of wanting to use it straight away and getting it running perfectly which takes a lot of time testing!
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    edited July 2009
    Hey.. Nice work, i'm reading your thread with lots of interest.

First question... Having used and OC'ed both duo and quad, which overall would you say is better? I know i'm gonna have a flood of people say quad but i wanna hear it from someone who has used both. I have a E8600 and have had it stable at 3.85GHz, but really don't need that much speed, and don't wanna shorten the life of my very expensive CPU..

Secondly... Your SuperPi time seems quite high for an OC'd Quad, my first one was 13.840 (i think) when everything was stock, and i got it down to 12.047 while at 3.85GHz (proof on this site), is there anything you can do to get the time down like close all programs etc. etc..

Thirdly.. Well done on building a nice rig!!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It depends on your goals. With duo you will get higher FSB which is better for some things.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    For gaming (and after having used both for a decent while) I have to say I prefer duo's. The potential max speed you can hit on them is usually higher than a quad, and there are quite a few games out there that actually have compatibility problems with CPUs that have more than 2 cores. I'm currently running a core 2 quad Q9450 @ 3.6GHz and it's nice, but I don't think it honestly warranted the extra money it took to upgrade over my old core 2 duo.

Incidentally, I use a thermaltake big typhoon CPU cooler with arctic silver thermal paste. With room ambient 24c (hot because it's fairly enclosed) and running prime95 small FFTs my CPU maxes out at 65,65,65,65. Arctic silver's amazing at balancing heat.
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    edited July 2009
    Yeah i heard that a lot of stuff is being developed to use 2 cores, not 4, therefore rendering the extra 2 pointless!!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If anybody's moving into parallel computations and isn't optimizing it to scale across as many cores are available, they're doing it wrong.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    lordbean what vcore you at underload with that clock
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    @ Snarkasm: Agreed. However, an irritating number of apps seem to have more trouble on a quad-core CPU.

@ _k_: 1.280vcore at full load. At idle as well, actually. The vdroop control on this board is amazingly good.
    edited September 2009
    djmonsta wrote:
    Hey.. Nice work, i'm reading your thread with lots of interest.

First question... Having used and OC'ed both duo and quad, which overall would you say is better? I know i'm gonna have a flood of people say quad but i wanna hear it from someone who has used both. I have a E8600 and have had it stable at 3.85GHz, but really don't need that much speed, and don't wanna shorten the life of my very expensive CPU..

Secondly... Your SuperPi time seems quite high for an OC'd Quad, my first one was 13.840 (i think) when everything was stock, and i got it down to 12.047 while at 3.85GHz (proof on this site), is there anything you can do to get the time down like close all programs etc. etc..

Thirdly.. Well done on building a nice rig!!

Very sorry for the delay in some sort of response - been busy with other things
    My 6300 was never the best chip to be honest it was fine to 2.9Ghz and then would not budge over that it was a very early Core 2 Duo.
    I love my quad I utilise the cores a lot with encoding and its WAY faster I'll never be going back to dual core - next upgrade will be at 32nm and 12 threads or even AMD's 12 core processor.

My SuperPi I'm not too concerned with - its memory sensitive and I've 8Gb so its stressful for the board if you wind it tight.

Thanks for the feedback on the rig!