Plug usb network adapter into printer?

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited May 2009 in Science & Tech
I am extremely embarrassed to be asking this question because it seems like the answer should be really obvious...

I'm buying a usb printer. I want to connect it directly to my network and use a dedicated computer as the print server (have the print server point directly to the ip of the printer and have other computers point to the print server's shared printer(s) ). As far as i can figure out, I don't need a dedicated print server device (you know... the little box) to connect to the printer because I already have a computer that I want to spool jobs... all I need is something to give the printer an IP and to transfer the print job to the printer. RIGHT?

So, can i just buy a usb network adapter, plug it straight in the back of the printer and plug the rj45 straight into the network switch and be good to go??

thanks in advance for not making me feel dumb.

phu

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Why do you need an IP? Plug the printer into the USB port on the Print server.

Share the printer on the print server PC.. Job done.

That is the point of the print server.. On the other PC's you just "install" the shared printer that is on the Print server PC.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited May 2009
    hmmm... for clarification i will name two different items... first i will say a "print server device" is one of those $40 - $200 boxes that plug into the back of the printer then into the network... i don't have one of those. And the "print server computer" is the computer I use to do a number of things including the hosting (and sharing) of printers. Also, the "print server computer" is in the basement... printer will be on the main floor.

So, can i plug a usb network adapter into the back of the printer and then run the rj45 cable into the switch that is connected to the network that the "print server computer" is connected to?

or do i need a "print server device"

I've had bad experience the a "print server device" which is the reason for my desire to avoid
    edited May 2009
    Ok.. now we have a different scenario... You did not say "the PC (Print server) and the printer will be too far apart to connect over USB"

I have not used a USB to Ethernet adapter, but a quick google says most of them are plug and play. Found 2-3 users who plugged their Tivo straight into the network.

My answer is that is should work.
    edited May 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ok.. now we have a different scenario... You did not say "the PC (Print server) and the printer will be too far apart to connect over USB"

I have not used a USB to Ethernet adapter, but a quick google says most of them are plug and play. Found 2-3 users who plugged their Tivo straight into the network.

My answer is that is should work.

Yep... i'm actually one of those tivo guys... i've got two of em straight into the network with those little linksys usb adapters.
    edited May 2009
    It just struck me... Printers almost ALWAYS have a "usb b" female port in the back of em... and... almost ALWAYS usb ethernet adapters are "usb a" male. I have thought and searched for any "usb a" female to "usb b" male converters and have found nothing. When you couple that with unconventional, might not work, and might be close to the same cost as a "print server device"... it just doesn't seem reasonable.

So now I'm looking for a good print server device.

Thanks for yer help
    edited May 2009
    How hard to get a USB cable down to the machine.. is it totally on the other end of the structure from the printer?

Any problems connecting the printer to the machine that is close to it and sharing it? Same function.. all machines on the network would have access.
    edited May 2009
    yeah.. i mean the one that is close would be okay.. as long as it's on.. i hate connecting shit peer to peer -ish like that but maybe i will. and the usb to the server would be like a 40ft run = pain in the d*ck
    edited May 2009
    i hate connecting shit peer to peer -ish like that but maybe i will.
    What you were talking about doing before was the same also. The more I think about it.. what you were talking about would not work. That adapter does not allow you to set an IP, unless it has some form of HTML based GUI in it once you connect it to the network. If it is truly plug and play.. there would be no IP to set for the printer anyway.
    edited May 2009
    dhcp on the adapter from the server which assigns dhcp.

the server is always on... so it's good for being a print server

the nearby computer is a desktop... prone to restarts, etc.
    edited May 2009
    Right.. so if you powered off the printer, possible new IP and lost printer on network.

You would have to setup a reservation so it got the same IP all the time. But water under the bridge I guess, like you said.. B type on the printer.
    edited May 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Right.. so if you powered off the printer, possible new IP and lost printer on network.

You would have to setup a reservation so it got the same IP all the time. But water under the bridge I guess, like you said.. B type on the printer.

it is water under the bridge... but still you are right about setting up a reservation.

I just went to the store and bought the printer, canon pixma ip4600 and print server, linksys psus4 (4 port switch and ps). i'm hoping the print server doesn't suck
  • SoundySoundy Pitt Meadows, BC
    edited May 2009
    Silly question, but if you were buying a new printer anyway, why not just get one with network support in the first place? Some even have WiFi.
    edited May 2009
    Soundy wrote:
    Silly question, but if you were buying a new printer anyway, why not just get one with network support in the first place? Some even have WiFi.

long answer:
    this is why

Notice the filters... inkjet printers - photo printer - network port

only 8 results and the cheapest is $649

short answer: cost
    edited May 2009
    Is there something I'm missing in the specs there? Inkjet... Photo... Ethernet...

$136: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3387798&CatId=3481

$229(SRP): http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=184&modelid=11994

Maybe you're shopping at the wrong store, doesn't look like they have much of anything.
    edited May 2009
    No... you got it, and i probably should have tried to find that first hp you show. Like all good sons, this is what I did yesterday... realized it was three days til mother's day, called my sister for an idea for a gift, she said photo printer, I know nothing about photo printers and VERY little about digital cameras, i hastily "review searched" on google. Results seemed limited and difficult (seemed difficult to zero in on a specific type of printer and therefore difficult to compare). So... I went to good old trusty (or at least usually) newegg, which is a great source of reviews by people who actually use the products.

AND of course, the final HUGE requirement is that whichever printer I was convinced to buy i would have to be able to find at a brick and mortar. So, I bought the printer with the best reviews on newegg that I could find at a brick and mortar.

Next time I'll try not to be such a moron. I'd like to give a shout out to my mom.
    edited May 2009
    Probably more of an issue with the way newegg categorizes/searches things... they do actually have that HP (the one listed at the TigerDirect link) and it's on sale for $70. It's just not categorized under the "for photo use", it appears.

Oh well, no need to beat yourself up... next time, just ask here first :)
    edited May 2009
    Soundy wrote:
    Probably more of an issue with the way newegg categorizes/searches things... they do actually have that HP (the one listed at the TigerDirect link) and it's on sale for $70. It's just not categorized under the "for photo use", it appears.

Oh well, no need to beat yourself up... next time, just ask here first :)

yeah and then i risk getting pointed to this click

(of course I kid :D )

Thanks for your help... happy mom's day!!

p.s. just checked reviews on that printer at newegg (which they do apparently have) and it didn't get stellar reviews which is of general concern being that my mom (knows very little about technology but) is picky ESPECIALLY about her pics.
    edited May 2009
    yeah and then i risk getting pointed to this click

(of course I kid :D )

I was always partial to this one, actually... but I'll bookmark yours too, that's a good one :)

;D
    edited May 2009
    Soundy wrote:
    I was always partial to this one, actually... but I'll bookmark yours too, that's a good one :)

;D

:thumbup nice