NZXT Panzerbox

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Looks like a pretty slick case. A shame about the heatsink issue, though. Poor foresight on NZXT's part.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Too bad the PSU blocks the cards, but while the cards are the things I change most frequently in the case, that's still not very often. A modular PSU would make removing it temporarily fairly painless, too.

I dig the mounts for the radiator. Too bad the case fans aren't adjustable, but what else would I use the other 5.25 bays for but a rheostat?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    The heatsink fouling was a real disappointment for me. If I were to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees, it wouldn't be a problem, but there are some HSFs out there that don't give users the option. Luckily, the Noctua is a breeze to install.

They show the NZXT fan controller in some of their PR shots. I think it really livens up the front of the case while fitting in with the overall design.

In testing, I installed both my HD 3870 with the TRad2 and with the stock cooler. Getting to the cards was easy - I just unscrewed the four thumb screws holding the PSU in, rotated it out of the case, and dropped in the video cards. It's that simple to install and remove the PSU.

Alternatively, had I used a smaller heatsink, I could have just pulled the mobo tray. heh.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    How many internal HD mounts are there? It really only looks like there are 2 of the removable ones, and the first HD would get all the airflow.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited May 2009
    Good review and interesting case. Gives me some Ideas. Glad to see NZXT is keeping it fresh.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I think it's a bit of a stretch, figuratively speaking, to consider that case a mid-tower. In my consideration, it's in the compact category. It appears to me to be very well suited for a near-OEM configuration: ATX or M-ATX motherboard, one hard drive, one optical drive, OEM CPU heatsink, standard size video card, and not much more. It looks perfect for build for someone who wants a custom computer look without the desire for high performance tweaking and frequent modifications
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited May 2009
    I just have the fear that if I put my beer on top of the computer case, moisture will get in. :x
    edited May 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    How many internal HD mounts are there? It really only looks like there are 2 of the removable ones, and the first HD would get all the airflow.

There are two mounts under the 3 5.25" bays, and two in the removable tray inside the case. If you are worried about HDD airflow, mount your drives in the standard location, right behind the big front fan and remove the inside tray.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I think it's a bit of a stretch, figuratively speaking, to consider that case a mid-tower. In my consideration, it's in the compact category.

I don't know what physical size you're going off of, but the Panzerbox is 9.6" x 17.9" x 17.9". Compared to an Antec Nine Hundred at 8.1" x 18.4" x 19.4", you'll find they're very close. The Panzerbox is just a bit shorter and wider, with much better clearance around the socket at the expense of less clearance around the cards.

I disagree regarding your proposed use. It would be overkill for an OEM system and the fans are too loud for people uninterested in performance air cooling. It's much better suited for water cooling and people using big heatsinks with heights approaching or greater than 160mm.

I'd love to set up the Panzerbox with a dual 120mm radiator on top, mount the pump where the removable HDD tray goes, and put a reservoir under the optical drive for a water cooling setup for the CPU. Then I'd Crossfire the biggest/meanest cards I could find, and let the big 190mm front fan take care of airflow across the board.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    The PSU blocking the expansion slots, no top mounted exhaust fan and the vent on the left side of the case completely useless with the PSU blocking it turned me off.

Get an Antec 300/900/1200 or NZXT Rogue

Now for the watercooling people, where is the side window to show off you 1337 watercooling setup?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    It has a 190MM top fan.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    It has a 190MM top fan.

I totally missed that. Just saw the front and rear fans.

muh bad.
    edited May 2009
    Also, if you have a PSU with a top/bottom mounted fan, it'll draw air directly through the vent in the side panel. The side panel vent is well placed in that regard. It's not useless at all.