How to backup MySQL Database

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Internet & Media
I am managing several web sites as a hobby. All of them use Wordpress as CMS, which relies on a MySQL database. All of the sites but one are hosted on web space I am renting from 1&1, and I can login through their site into php myadmin if I want to backup the Wordpress database. However, one site (the site of my local fish club) is hosted on the server of an avid club supporter in Mexico. I have the login details for the MySQL database, but what kind of software do I need to use, or how do I get into php myadmin on that server to backup the Wordpress database of that site???

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    They need to tell you where (if) phpmyadmin is installed. If not, then you will need shell (SSH) access and connect to the server using PuTTY and back it up manually. You'll be doing a "dump": http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

So this fella in Mexico either needs to install phpmyadmin for you or give you a shell account.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Thanks! I'll ask him if phpmyadmin is installed on his server. The man is usually right on top of things computer wise, so chances are that should be the case. I just prefer to embarrass myself here with stupid questions, since I don't have much of a reputation to loose here, and I don't want to scare that dude by making him realize just how ignorant a guy he has hacking around his server

me --> :crazy:       :wtf: <-- Mexican dude
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Also, a beyond awesome GUI SQL client, "Navicat", will perform the backup locally. I think a trial is full functional for 30 days and otherwise inexpensive.

Oh, and its been a while and I haven't really used it much, "MySQL Administrator 1.2" is free and might offer a client backup as well.
    edited June 2009
    'client backup' meaning I would need no software on the server, but could do a backup of the database using only the login details for the database and the software you recommended installed on my machine?

Many thanks

Frank
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    If not I'm pretty sure there is a backup wordpress plugin that will help you with that if you don't have phpmyadmin access/setup.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Yes, exactly. I'll be more specific in my use of 'client backup'. Use any of those 'client' progams installed on your computer and use them to connect web server. They will let you create and download a backup from the web server to your pc. However, additional setup maybe required with mysql to connect via a client, like security access with your IP.

But Jared is right, I would assume if you are an admin you would be able to backup the DB somewhere in the admin/systems/config area. --not too familiar wordpress so its just an assumption.
    edited June 2009
    I contacted the dude who provides the hosting for us. His site is huge and he didn't seem keen to give me access to php myadmin for the whole thing, when the site I am looking after is only a little adjunct. His suggestion was that he'd backup our database on a regular basis and put the file in a directory to which I have ftp access. This sounds like an excellent solution to me.

I might look into the client backup option just for my own education. Jared's Wordpress plugin option sounds interesting too - there is hardly anything one could imagine for which no Wordpress plugin exists, so why not for this...

Many thanks

Frank
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I take it this hosting plan doesn't let you schedule your own CRON jobs or anything?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I take it this hosting plan doesn't let you schedule your own CRON jobs or anything?
    If he can't get phpmyadmin access I highly doubt they'll give him the access necessary for crons, and it's a giant can of worms I don't think would be worth it for Frank.

For what it's worth, Frank, the host CAN set up phpmyadmin to only give you access to the Wordpress database and none of the others. However, if he wants to take responsibility for the dirty work, so much the better.
    edited June 2009
    The 'hosting plan' for this particular site is free - the guy is simply an enthusiastic supporter of the club for which I maintain the site. If anybody is interested, the site is www.ohiocichlid.com, and it's hosted as part of www.cichlidae.com, which has a largish forum section (2000 members).

Not only is the hosting for my club site free, but the guy also provides first rate service - also for free. If there is a problem - which rarely happens - he typically responds to emails within five minutes - no kidding! In short the whole package is kind of hard to beat, and if he now also agrees to regularly backup the database, all the better. He is also a very reliable guy, so if he says he'll back it up, I am confident it will actually happen.