OCZ Behemoth mouse review

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Excellent writeup, Snarky. I think I'm just about sold on one of these.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I think I'd appreciate a larger mouse. My G5 doesn't fit my hand very well. Nice writeup, Lord of the Peripheral!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Wow, for $25 its appears to be a practical no brainer. Good review.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited April 2009
    I love people who share my gadget fetish. You have no idea how much I've spent on Mice over the years (I've bought THREE MX Revolutions...)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I currently have four Razer, two Logitech, and now one OCZ mouse, along with a Razer keyboard, two Logi keyboards, a simple generic one, and a specialty gaming keypad.

I can't help it, something just draws me to them. I think I'm going to grab the Logi G19 when it comes out, and likely the Razer Mamba. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... :D

The Behemoth is an incredible steal and a fantastic mouse. I don't think I can say enough about it. Highly, highly, highly recommended.
    edited April 2009
    Ha, my current setup is my Revolution for my laptop and general work mouse, my G7 for gaming, keyboard is the diNova Edge—which I love and paid way too much for—plus I have a wireless numpad, a Contour Shuttle Pro and a Space Navigator. I love the Revolution mice but they're just too slow for gaming (particularly the click speed of all things) and I'm reasonably happy with the G7. Actually, shockingly, my favorite gaming mouse is actually the HP terrible mice included with their workstations, so light and fast. I should hate them but I don't
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited April 2009
    I've always hated Logitech mice. They never handle properly, I begin to suck at FPS deathmatches whenever I use Logitech mice. The OCZ Behemoth looks too big for me; I like smaller, light mice that really let me aim properly.

I have a bit of a peripheral fetish too, I have 4 mice on me right now, 2 Logitech and 2 A4 Tech (a largely unknown brand that IMO has better mice than Logitech). I always fall for Logitech though because their packaging is so sweet. Even if functionally they are not my thing.

I also have 4 keyboards one normal one, 2 Logitechs, 1 A4 Tech Gaming Keyboard and 1 Belkin N52 TE -- which I should also review. I couldn't really get into theBelkin, though, cool and geeky as it was. It just didn't have enough buttons; as someone who's been playing FPS for more than a decade certain controls had been hard-wired into my muscle memory and using 1,2,3 and 4 keys for switching weapons was one of them; this was the Achilles heel of the Nostromo N52.

I see Chris you have a Dinovo; I didn't get the Edge, but I got the Mini, because I needed a small keyboard for home theatre use. I must say, it's rpetty shoddy and way overpriced, but it's pretty cool. It's not totally usable though; it powers out way too much and it takes too long for bluetooth to reconnect from sleep mode. Overall I guess I'm not happy with Logitech; they are an overhyped brand for all their peripherals except their speakers, IMO.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Mochan wrote:
    I also have 4 keyboards one normal one, 2 Logitechs, 1 A4 Tech Gaming Keyboard and 1 Belkin N52 TE -- which I should also review. I couldn't really get into theBelkin, though, cool and geeky as it was. It just didn't have enough buttons; as someone who's been playing FPS for more than a decade certain controls had been hard-wired into my muscle memory and using 1,2,3 and 4 keys for switching weapons was one of them; this was the Achilles heel of the Nostromo N52.

I don't buy that. There are 20 buttons on the face of it with the ability to scroll through 3 key settings. That's 60 buttons.

I set up the d-pad to do my weapon switching - try that.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited April 2009
    I tried the d-pad but it wasn't responsive enough to really fit the bill, but I suppose that's just me. I wasn't able to really adapt to it. I tried, for two weeks, but I suppose it just wasn't for me. Just an extra 4 buttons on top of the WASD would have made it perfect.
    edited April 2009
    Mochan wrote:
    The OCZ Behemoth looks too big for me; I like smaller, light mice that really let me aim properly.

You can take the weights out of the it and get quite a light mouse. Moreover, with greater surface area contact with the mouse, you actually have more control over how it moves. My movements feel much more secure with the Behemoth than they do with a standard two-button where my fingers fall off the side.

I've wanted to try the Belkin, the Logi coming-soon-equivalent (G13), or similar pads for a while, but they always seem a little too expensive for what they are, and just another thing to clutter my desk. I do all right with my keyboard for now, though.
  • PatrickMoorheadPatrickMoorhead Austin, TX
    edited April 2009
    I got a lot of geek gadgets for Christmas, but ironically, I got most excited about a Logitech illuminated keyboard. I was almost, almost embarrassed to get into a keyboard that much.

But, then again, you are using it almost 100% of the time, so I guess keyboards are "exciting." :) See, men can rationalize so much!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    That makes total sense.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Can you overclock it?

Next!
    edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Can you overclock it?

Yes.

If by overclock you mean "raise DPI sensitivity." For a mouse, that's pretty much what overclocking relates to! ;D
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, never had any trouble with the Logitech keyboard, it's always connected and I love the feel of it. That said, it's way overpriced like you mentioned. I think Logitech realized it too since they now have that other keyboard that looks extremely similar at a much lower price.

I think Logitech is overrated, I've loved their mice but sometimes they suck, their drivers really suck and that ****ing batter issue with the Revolution just kills me. I've had three Revolutions die on me, the last one I was smart enough to keep the receipt and return it for one that actually seems perfect.

The SpacePilot Pro is my current wet dream gadget. $10 says the drivers still blow on it though. $20 says I buy the damn thing at SIGGRAPH.

20090422-d443exh77fbcaxwutd7s1i1pfi.jpg

I'd kill for it to work in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or any similar game and I'd love to try it in an FPS, so precise.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Day 2 using my Behemoth, Day 1, took some getting used to, I just thought it felt wrong, but now that I have a few hours on it, its starting to feel very natural. I wish the side forward/back button was a little better made, but otherwise its very nice.