Windows 7 upgrades 50% off at Amazon

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
ยซ1

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Also NewEgg, Fry's and a number of other e-tailers.

Complete list here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Dear god awesome...
  • edited June 2009
    There should be only one version, Professional, at a price of $100 (full). This is just pre-ripoff price. I am not holding my breath for Windows 7 at all.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Upgrade - for Vista and XP? I've read that's only for Vista, but I've also read it works for both.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Upgrade - for Vista and XP? I've read that's only for Vista, but I've also read it works for both.

The reason for that is kinda simple. It will allow an upgrade from Win Xp, but will wipe hard drive so it becomes a clean install, but it will upgrade from Vista in what we think of as a traditional upgrade keeping all files and folders and settings.

So you have to back up using file transfer wizard if you are running XP, install Windows 7, and then transfer your data back in. Vista you can upgrade over it.

Does this make any sense?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    An existing Windows XP installation cannot be upgraded to 7; you'll still need a clean installation. However, when Windows 7 upgrade editions ask you for a prior version of Windows, Windows XP is a valid SKU.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    This is great. I'm in for the Win (7).
    edited June 2009
    This is the first Microsoft operating system I have ever bought. Every prior OS I have legitimately received for free.
    edited June 2009
    Missileman, Thrax, thank you for the clear replies. Sounds like a winner to me.
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    This is the first Microsoft operating system I have ever bought. Every prior OS I have legitimately received for free.

Same here Thrax. It makes me feel kinda dirty.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited June 2009
    Looks like I got until July 11 to decide if I want 50% off. Going to be a tough decision whether to leave XP behind or not.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    You might not want to wait that long. As I said earlier in another thread Microsoft has put strict limits on how many low cost upgrades each retailer can sell. The deal clearly states until July 11 or while supplies last. They appear to be going fast as NewEgg has already cut the 3 per customer limit to 1 per customer.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Just pre ordered my copy
    edited June 2009
    Going to be a tough decision whether to leave XP behind or not.
    Liam, if it weren't for the positive reviews of Win7 by knowledgeable, tech-experienced people here, I'd be inclined to hang with XP/SP3 as long as possible.

It's time to move forward. I think Windows 7 is worthy of purchase. The Amazon pre-order discount was the final indicator for me.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Hmmmm, will the upgrade copy work with my current Windows 7 RC 7100 set up?

Otherwise I might wait to see what happens when they release some multi seat OEM licenses a little later on. Building systems on the side, I could always use a few more.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Home premium or professional........ hmmm
    Is remote desktop worth the $50?
  • edited June 2009
    I use VNC to access my Windows XP server's desktop behind my firewall over SSH tunnel. You just need ssh and vncviewer on the remote computer which are available on every OS. UltraVNC server is compatible with Windows 7 and I am pretty confident Freesshd would work too. When you are running sshd, you get a secure remote console (text) and sftp server as well.
    edited June 2009
    Professional also has a built in Windows XP emulator... to allow you to run any programs that won't work under 7 as if they were running in Windows XP. Not sure how well that works or if it would make Pro worth it for you but it was a factor in me ordering Pro instead of Home.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    now if only I had $89 right now.
    oh, I work for a retail supplier :P 10% discount.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2009
    Is Professional what most of the Icrontic crowd is going to upgrade to? Is there a huge benefit to Ultimate over Professional? The idea of potentially missing features bugs me but I didn't see anything on the list for Ultimate other than drive encryption that really interested me. I think I can do without drive encryption as well.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Ultimate is a lot less useful than it might have been in Vista. All you're missing is Bitlocker encryption and better language support.

Pro will be suitable for me, and I opted for Ultimate previously with Vista.
    edited June 2009
    Ultimate is practically worthless. Home users should never consider Ultimate, and only the most security-minded businesses should give it a second look.
    edited June 2009
    Doesn't the Business edition contain BitLocker support, though? So why would they need Ultimate?

I think Ultimate is actually just for e-peen at the moment. There aren't even Ultimate Extras out anymore. I think it might just be there for a clear upgrade path for Vista Ultimate users.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the good answers. Professional it is!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I went with the Pro version XP mode and Remote Desktop FTW.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    I just don't know what I want to do yet. I use Remote Desktop but I'm perfectly willing to switch to VNC or switch back to LogMeIn if it comes to that. VNC is a bit better for my mixed Mac & PC laptop/desktop combo too. XP Mode seems useful but I've only found one program that doesn't run in 7 for me yet and I have VMWare so I can always just go that route if I need to. Thoughts?
    edited July 2009
    I don't know why techies wouldn't get Pro, but that's just me. I like having bells and whistles.
  • edited July 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I just don't know what I want to do yet. I use Remote Desktop but I'm perfectly willing to switch to VNC or switch back to LogMeIn if it comes to that. VNC is a bit better for my mixed Mac & PC laptop/desktop combo too. XP Mode seems useful but I've only found one program that doesn't run in 7 for me yet and I have VMWare so I can always just go that route if I need to. Thoughts?

VNC w/SSH-tunnel works fine for me. I also agree that XP mode will not be that useful. My only problem has been the ugly blue theme of Office 2003 which I could handle without XP mode.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    I do most of my Office stuff on my Mac these days with iWork, Office 2008 isn't nearly as good as 2007 but I like the interface, well, when I've switched it from blue to black anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I do most of my Office stuff on my Mac these days with iWork, Office 2008 isn't nearly as good as 2007 but I like the interface, well, when I've switched it from blue to black anyway.

Office 2003 interface has no theme options and is not aware of Vista Aero theme - naturally. I disable theme support in the compatibility options of executable in File explorer. I need Office since we exchange too many documents with others for collaborative editing tasks. People cant get very impatient with incompatibility issues.