Whooee, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited July 2009 in Fitness
So after (finally) putting my bench together on the weekend, I did my first real pectoral workout. 5 sets @ max weight of flat dumbell presses, 5 sets @ max weight of flat dumbell flys. My pecs are now having a hard time keeping my arms in an elevated position... I got some soreness inbound tomorrow.

Comments

• ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Why 5 sets? What are you trying to accomplish?
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Deep tears. I'm modelling my routine on advice from a personal trainer, who suggested that instead of more reps with less sets, I should be aiming the weight for less reps with more sets.

Edit - for reference, with the weight I was using I was only doing 3-4 reps per set.
    edited July 2009
    That's strength training. You won't create deep tears, or build mass that way.
    edited July 2009
    Based on obervations of my own body, the style of more weight with less reps was more effective in building mass than less weight with more reps. After only two workouts using the more weight, less reps theory, I could see a much more visible difference in my biceps than after any two workouts using the less weight, more reps theory.

I'm still interested in hearing how you view it, though... at the end of the day, I like to form my own opinions of what works for me, but I can't do that without outside input to test.
    edited July 2009
    All you've done is created a pump. You haven't done any substantial tissue damage. You should be targeting 6-8 reps for mass. This is the science of biomechanics, not something that differs from person to person.
    edited July 2009
    Two questions for clarification...

6-8 reps times how many sets?
    subquestion, does the number of optimal sets differ per muscle group?

Secondly, if I start a set using a certain weight and can't make 6 reps with it, does switching to a slightly smaller weight mid-set still work, or should the weight be consistent through a set?
    edited July 2009
    6-8 reps for 3 sets.

However you should use 10 reps on DB bicep work, 10 reps on any lateral dumbell raise (posterior deltoid), and 10 reps (5 alternative) on any forearm work.

If you can't make 8 reps for a set, you do what you can do, and you come back every week and do the same thing until it's 8/8/8, then you increase another 5-10 pounds and start over until you can get back to 8/8/8. Repeat ad infinitum.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    That's strength training. You won't create deep tears, or build mass that way.

Depends on how he eats. Strength training can be extremely 'damaging' to muscles. Hypertrophy is best suited between 6-10 reps, but a larger volume of low reps at high intensity can produce similar results.

For example:
    3x8 at 70% 1RM could be just as effective at 5x5 at 85% 1RM. One does 24 reps, the other 25 reps total. Does hypertrophy come from sustained repetitive effort, or short interval of intensity stacked on one another? It's hard to say.

I would argue, if someone doesn't have a solid base of fitness or has been out of training for some time, strength may be a more effective beginning. It allows the trainee to be able to use a worthwhile weight if they transfer to a more 'body building' style routine

Reps:
    1รขโ‚ฌโ€œ3 is strength based
    4รขโ‚ฌโ€œ6 is a good mix
    6รขโ‚ฌโ€œ10 is more hypertrophy

The ultimate decider is what you eat though. People respond to training in very different ways
    edited July 2009
    Excessively high protein, when I work out. I'd estimate my daily intake in and around workout days as about 150g / day (my body weight is 130 pounds atm).
    edited July 2009
    More.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Sore yet?
    edited July 2009
    Surprisingly, no. Just weak. I thought since I hadn't worked my pecs in a good 9 months they'd explode in soreness, kinda like how my biceps did, but it was apparently not to be the case. I'm getting almost no push power out of them, but they're not bothering me with any pain.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't know much about working out, but deep tears and tissue damage sound like some things to avoid.:confused2
    edited July 2009
    That's actually how muscle is grown... you damage your muscles (via heavy resistance exercises) so that the body grows new muscle in to fix it.
    edited July 2009
    Oh jeez, there it is. Better late than never, I guess - Lifting my arms is now sparking quite a sore reaction.