Forget Microsoft; Google and Apple are the real rivals

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    I'm reminded of the age-old addage... "640k should be enough for anyone." If microsoft can't get past attitudes like that, they're eventually going to fall way behind the forward-thinking companies.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Right, because Microsoft never got past that attitude.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I was just looking at the Wiki for Jobs, Schmidt and Ballmer, Apparently 54 year old men are who run things around tech.

As far as cloud computing initiatives go, I think it will have a place with corporations and maybe even small companies, but I hope it does not find its way into the home experience. Personally, I want a disk operating system to store my data locally, and I think most users feel the same way about their home experience. For corporations shared applications and recourses on a cloud from a separate provider may make allot of sense, but for home, I don't see how its going to replace our home OS, at least for the foreseeable future.

Long term its going to be an interesting dog fight.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    The very nature of broadband and latency means that the OS will remain central to the desktop for years and years to come. Broadband tech doesn't come or get deployed fast enough to make cloud OS a reality, but like it or not, our time-insensitive data will increasingly reach the cloud.

It's just going to happen, because software makers will steer us in that direction.

Only nerds care about where the data is stored. Normal people just want it to work, and work within their particular level of patience.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Rob, do you think this could leave to primary mobile developers moving into the cloud etc? I'm looking mostly at RIM and similar ilk.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I think so, yeah. Mobile data is so small and 4G is so fast that storing things in the cloud would be cheap, quick to access, and easy to copy to a new device.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I was just looking at the Wiki for Jobs, Schmidt and Ballmer, Apparently 54 year old men are who run things around tech.

As far as cloud computing initiatives go, I think it will have a place with corporations and maybe even small companies, but I hope it does not find its way into the home experience. Personally, I want a disk operating system to store my data locally, and I think most users feel the same way about their home experience. For corporations shared applications and recourses on a cloud from a separate provider may make allot of sense, but for home, I don't see how its going to replace our home OS, at least for the foreseeable future.

Long term its going to be an interesting dog fight.

It's going to happen eventually. I believe it will start with the Mobile Phone and soon transition to PC Desktop. When 4g/WiMax starts replacing 3g, well then there you go, the infrastructure might be enough to handle the cloud and then we transition to cloud in 2-3 years and stick with it for another 8-11 years.

Then some companies will start trending back towards localized applications and then we switch off the cload back to local appz.