Avira will not download updates

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech
Le sigh.

This week has been a hellhole of computer problems. On the upshot, I now have a laptop that works, running Windows 7, on a hard drive that is 3 times as big as my old one.

The current problem? I installed Avira on the reccomendation of some #icrontic peoples, and now it won't download updates.

*sigh*

As someone who hasn't used Avira before, is this a known issue or something? Has anyone heard anything about this? If not, I might just uninstall Avira and grab AVG or something.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Please post screenshot of failed update process.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sorry for the snarkyness and not explaining fully. I knew i should've posted screenshots, but i was getting really angry at my computer. I took a break, calmed down, ate a sandvich, etc. Now i'm back at full health and 0 rage, ready to deal with this problem!

Attached is the image of Avira (not) doing it's thing. It had only been running for 2 minutes or so in that instance, but earlier I let it run for over 25 minutes with no change.

After I clicked Abort, the status message changes to "An error occurred during file download." and the Report button becomes active. Clicking on that gives me the following:
    Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Updater

Creation time: Tue Aug 11 13:03:59 2009

Operating system:
    Windows Vista () [6.1.7100]

Product information:
    Product version: 9.0.0.407
    Updater: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\update.exe 9.0.0.52
    Plugin: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\updext.dll 9.0.0.6

Temp Directory: C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\
    Backup folder: C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\BACKUP\
    Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\
    Updater folder: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\
    AppData folder: C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\

[UPD] [INFO] Checking whether newer files are available.
    [UPD] [INFO] Select update server 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::22]/update'.
    [UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::22]/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
    [UPD] [WARNING] The update was terminated by the user.
    [UPDLIB] [ERROR] Download manager: An error occurred inside the WinINet library.
    [UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::22]/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
    [UPDLIB] [ERROR] Update aborted by the user.
    [UPD] [ERROR] Generation of update structure failed. UpdateLib delivers error 522.

Summary:
    0 Files downloaded
    0 Files installed

13:04:21 The update failed!
    Note that I am actually running Windows 7 despite it's claims of Vista And the [UPD] and [UPDLIB] sections get longer and longer the longer I let it run.
    edited August 2009
    Aaaaaand now I just found a manual download for the definition files, but I can't paste them into the Avira directory, because when I attempt to do so it gives me the message you'll see down in the attachments here...and then I click continue and nothing happens. I mean, the box for "copying files" shows up, but the bar goes nowhere, and UAC doesn't pop up...does UAC work differently in Windows 7 or something?

Should I be typing sudo somewhere? :D
    edited August 2009
    Right, well, after a stupid amount of time, and a stupid amount of disgruntlement, and my own stupidity... I found a temporary workaround in the Avira forums. And apparently my problem is being caused by them having released a big update a few days ago, causing their update servers to die.

So yeah.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Problem solved! Sorta. :P
    [Deleted User]