Prime, GQ, QCH, Poofie, Ghoos, Lordbean, Shorty, Fatcat

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Fitness
So, how goes your fitness adventure? ;)

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    I smell boredom...

But fine. Considering buying a set each of 20 and 30 pound dumbells. I need something between 15 and 25, and 30 wouldn't hurt for the big muscle groups like back and legs that can handle more load than the smaller ones.

I ate like a pig tonight. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Boredom? Not at all. I'm just holding people to their word. :) Good to see you are making progress.
    edited August 2009
    I posted a picture of myself in the thread I started. Gonna use it as a reference frame, I'll be aiming to take a self portrait once a month to track development.

I don't think I look half bad though. Or, at least, I look a lot better than I used to.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    i failed
    edited August 2009
    So unfail. Stop sitting at your PC right this very instant and walk out the door. Five miles. See you when you get back.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    nope, completely fucking exhausted from canoe trip. going to bed. I've had a headache since last night, I think I have a touch of sunstroke. I've been dizzy since yesterday.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm working on cutting the rest of my belly fat and building muscle in chest and arms. I have a "6-pack" from doing 1000's of situps in the army, I just need to get rid of the fat around them. So, any tips on that would be great Thrax.

My back and shoulders I am pretty happy with. I want "bigger" arms, and my pec's need serious work.

That's where I'm at.
    edited August 2009
    nope, completely fucking exhausted from canoe trip. going to bed. I've had a headache since last night, I think I have a touch of sunstroke. I've been dizzy since yesterday.

Well I hope you feel better, sir. There's always tomorrow. ;)
    edited August 2009
    After my terribly-high sodium caesar salad on wednesday, I was afraid my workout routine would be completely derailed for this week. Fortunately, I managed well enough to be back on track today.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    One of the hardest tests of self-control (that I've failed many times) is missing a day that you've said "I'm going to do X", and then not missing the next few days. I think that it's a real test of your will, and your ability not to say "oh, I missed one day, now I might as well slack off for a few more".
    edited August 2009
    ^ So true. That was one of the biggest obstacles I've had to overcome, and sometimes I still struggle with that. When that happens, I tackle the next week with renewed vigor.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    ^ minus the next week. More like next month.
    edited August 2009
    At that point you need to address the underlying cause of failure. People like to explain away their lack of motivation with a variety of excuses: I'm tired, I don't feel well, I'm too busy, I can't do this, it's not working (you're doing it wrong) etc. The thing about excuses is that they rarely ever excuse.

If we repeatedly try and fail, we must look deeper into ourselves to discover what's <i>really</i> going on. Why are we sabotaging our own efforts? What is the <i>actual</i> cause of our failures?

Be honest with yourself, even when it hurts, and do something good with what you find. Don't let it bring you down any more. Realize that moving beyond whatever is holding you back will not only eliminate what's holding you back, but help to reverse all the damage that has been done. Each day is an opportunity for improvement.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    It usually involves me doing something stupid at Gymnastics and hurting myself pretty badly. Back still hurts from the Gainer+twist I tried two weeks ago and failed. Poor excuse though it may be.
    edited August 2009
    I feel I can excuse myself from a single day of working out due to extenuating circumstances such as accidentally consuming a level of sodium that renders me unable to eat for the rest of the day, but as a general rule if my body feels well enough to work and my stomach is not giving any convincing reason why I can't put food in it, I work out.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2009

Drink more water!!!!!!!!!!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I've been drinking so much water I'm starting to think I got the diabetes.
    edited August 2009
    I see Ryder is reading this thread. YOU TOO, ERIC. REPORT.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Not going so well for me at the moment. Been traveling 6 weeks of the last two months, eating out way too often, and I'm sick as a dog at the moment. Now I luckily have two months at home to buckle down and go back to a proper diet and get back in the gym, as soon as this infection goes away.
    edited August 2009
    I like my home gym setup, as basic as it may be. I don't have to go anywhere to crank me some iron.
    edited August 2009
    still waiting on Thrax's advice....
    edited August 2009
    I thinking about what the best approach for you will be. The main conundrum is that you still have fat to lose BUT you want to build muscle as well. It's hard to do both.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I had a week blip from my trapped nerve but that's resolved and I am back on track with almost no hitch.

I am 15 months in. I have 7.1% body fat, getting a little heavier weight each month with muscle growth but no change in fat ratio. Changing lifting routine every 3-4 months to keep it fresh. Done the three phases:

Hypertrophy, power and then strength.

When I started, my bench press wasn't even the barbell (20kgs). It was a 7kg EZ bar. My bench is now 65kg (5x5). That is a massive progression.

How do I do it around my busy job (I work away, I commute 100+miles a day) and my commitment to 2 bands who gig regularly and each require a practice a week...?

Sacrifice and dedication

When I get home from work, I am either rehearsing, gigging or gym. That is my life, that is what I do. I get some time occasionly to game or just relax but that is far & few between. Drumming is pure CV. I hit hard, I break a murderous sweat. I burn the calories. Even when I am away working, I stay in a hotel with a gym. I have my gym gear with me in the car, I have my workout sheets. I go there and adapt if the kit isn't the same.

Some days I don't want to workout, I don't want to gym, I don't want to practise or gig. But I remind myself that "I don't want to" doesn't exist in my vocabulary. There is no excuses, no reasons and no circumstances allowed.

I do have a benefit of a girlfriend who is on a special diet for Krohns disease. Our house is full of only low fat, highly nutritous food. She cooks great, she has taught me to eat well. My diet is lean and utterly healthy. She has her goals and I have mine.

I am actually going to post a picture on this thread later on tonight so you can see my progress :)

For those who aren't still in it. Get back to it. Life is too short. You don't do it now, you will regret dying young and not living the life. My mother just died at 53 years old after 20 years of being sick. Would you want to get to 30 and realise you are going to die because you didn't take care of yourself? Watch your own life slip away?

Whats my goal?

Living the Icrontic life. You should to.
    edited August 2009
    Shorty wrote:
    For those who aren't still in it. Get back to it. Life is too short. You don't do it now, you will regret dying young and not living the life. My mother just died at 53 years old after 20 years of being sick. Would you want to get to 30 and realise you are going to die because you didn't take care of yourself? Watch your own life slip away?

Whats my goal?

Living the Icrontic life. You should to.

QFT.

Hey Shorty, what'd you think of the pic I posted of myself? Am I on the right track?
    edited August 2009
    For me, the biggest struggle is losing the last 8-10 pounds. I've been on calorie restriction since March 1, and it is wearing on me. I've gone from 200 to 176 pounds in that time, but weight loss has slowed to a crawl like it does for any body approaching low BF%.

I've switched to carb cycling recently, and I've been on it fully for about a week. I will say it has to lead to greatly improved sanity; I'm no longer constantly thinking about the next meal, so my overall "mental" approach to lifting has improved.

It is now about 12 weeks until Oktoberfest, and I desperately hope I can get the rest of this fat off in time, not only to fulfill my renewed promises to myself, but to make good on a costume idea I have kicking around in my head.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Well... I was down to around 228 before I left for a week in Canada's Quetico Boundary Waters area to canoe for 5 days. So for about 10 days my eating was not the best. The day before, on way up to Ely, MN the 5 day trip and then the day coming home... I ate was available and usually too much.

The good news, I canoed almost 30 miles, 1/3 of which was in 3 foot waves (yes, waves taller than the canoe hull) and 20-30 mile an hour gusts. I portaged 12 times measuring almost 10 miles none of which was straight. Portaging with a 65+ pound pack AND a 45 pound canoe.

Today I am at 227.5 and back on track with better eating. With my next paycheck, I will renew my membership at my employer's gym. Sept and Oct will see some good improvements... :D
    edited August 2009
    meh, after a shitty past 7 days, I'm now 2 weeks behind on my 12 week build muscle plan. and, I'll be camping this weekend.

Guess next Monday, I hit it hard again.
    edited August 2009
    That's the way to be! Fall down, pick yourself up and go. :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I lost 6 pounds, I'm happy :)
    edited August 2009
    I keep settings PRs with my triceps. 3 weeks in a row they've shown improvement.

Guess they're growing fast.