Sorry, PCs! Consoles are the better deal

2»

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    So I can upgrade my socket A + agp card machine which will run all non-game related tasks (that you claim i need) for less than the price of a console?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I have a laptop that does everything I want for my standard computing tasks. Its integrated graphics will NEVER run a reasonable game. I should what - invest in a desktop replacement for $1k, or a gaming computer and monitor for $1-1.2k?

People have different kinds of (and some people even have no) computers, Cliff. This is what's getting you in trouble with your analysis.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Same could be said about TVs which is vital to your console argument.
    edited August 2009
    Correct - but the numbers say more people have TVs than have computers.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I have a laptop that does everything I want for my standard computing tasks. Its integrated graphics will NEVER run a reasonable game.

boners.JPG

WHAT NOW.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I don't care about the cost.

I have a PC, I am into PC's.. not Consoles. Used to have Nintendo 64 that is as far as I went.

If I want to game it will be on my PC.

What he said.

It's entirely possible consoles may be better value. I really think it depends how well you plan your PC upgrades.

I'm an enthusiast, and my dollars are not always perfectly logically spent. However, I enjoy doing it. It's my way of life. If we define "value" as "enjoyment gained per dollar spent", I am quite certain my PC-spent dollars have more value for me than any dollars I could spend on a console.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Wait did we discuss how the PC is a dying medium for games, yet?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Nights,

People have been declaring the death of PC gaming ever since the Dreamcast got online. PC is the worlds most accepted and widely available format for gaming. Games for windows are not going anywhere soon.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    MMORPGs for Windows, I think you mean.
    edited August 2009
    It was long though that a good RTS would never come out on console. Then big ol' EA comes along with their recently purchased Westwood Studios and bam two decent RTS on console followed by Bungie's Halo Wars. My point being that MMORPGs will not last forever on PC.

I'm telling you guys 5-10 years from now we will no longer see exclusive titles. And it will come down to preference only. Controller vs. Keyboard/Mouse.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Fine by me. I know which one wins. ;)
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Fine by me. I know which one wins. ;)

Joysticks obviously!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    It was long though that a good RTS would never come out on console. Then big ol' EA comes along with their recently purchased Westwood Studios and bam two decent RTS on console followed by Bungie's Halo Wars. My point being that MMORPGs will not last forever on PC.

I'm telling you guys 5-10 years from now we will no longer see exclusive titles. And it will come down to preference only. Controller vs. Keyboard/Mouse.

MMORPG's are already launching on consoles. Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star Online and the new Champions MMO are all on consoles.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If they released WoW or EQ2 for the PS3 along with a keyboard/mouse perif i would definetly buy it. The one thing that the console has on the pc is portability.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm at work, so this thread is tl;dr.

But I will say this. As a guy who has no money to buy a gaming PC or a console...

SCREW YOU ALL.

(Alternatively, shouldn't I be writing a "Portable gaming is teh winz" now? GAMEBOY FOREVAR)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    This has very good portability and plays all the latest games I want to play when I'm traveling/ away from home.
    Runs Crysis fluently on highest settings in turbo mode.
    Does well with multi-threaded apps too.
    Not to mention I use it for video calls, faxing, online banking & accounting.
    I bought it for business, but also chose the specifics for gaming, watching DVD's, streaming movies over the net, etc.
    We have not had a console since our Atari with 100+ games we got at a yard sale for $40 many moons ago.
    So I can't join you on which is better.
    Just that we prefer PC's for the multiple uses that we get out of them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27432&stc=1&d=1250171350
    MSI GT725
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4G
    17" WSXGA+ screen
    4GB DDR2
    320GB Sata HD
    DVD Super Multi
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 / 512MB DDR3 VRAM
    Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    wait why are we even talking about how cheap either item can be? I thought IC was a little more about go big or go home, where is :life: if we are just trying to be cheap
    edited August 2009
    _k_,

I may be the riffraff responsible. I will say, I don't want to dissuade anyone from gaming no multiple platforms if they are fortunate enough to have the means. For some of us, we have to make some tough decisions based on the budget, and the fear of not being able to feed our kid next week. Trust me, I walk by PS3's all the time thinking "that would be so livin the icrontic life sitting next to my HDTV". Unfortunately I am left making some hard decisions and for me, PC offers a great value in comparison to a console.
    edited August 2009
    I'm :life: by going big for as little as possible.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Koreish gets what I really meant. That kind of thinking is whole reason ICHQ is HD now.
    edited August 2009
    mas0n, I said a reasonable game. ;D

Hawk, the laptop's nice, but it needs a price to join in this argument - and the lowest price I can find online is around $1600.

That's not helping the PC's argument, but it IS a nice piece of hardware.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sorry Snark,
    It was $1,350 at Newegg with Windows Vista Home Premium OS with the Win 7 upgrade option.
    It also included a laptop carrying case.
    A bunch of Software...
    MS office among other stuff.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Wow. I go away for two days and .... THIS...

<3
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited August 2009
    lol the amount of RAAAGE in this thread makes me laugh.
    But _k_ (I can't believe I'm saying this) having this fight over monetary value is asinine. Preference for the most part has nothing to do with how much money we spend on our insane hobbies.
    I love PC because I love mouse and keyboard. That's that. It's not an argument. Its a fact. I was born on PC and I'll die on PC. Everything else is just splitting hairs.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    My previous laptop cost me $1600 new, and I used it for FOUR years. I downsized my desktop rig twice in that timeframe and three years into ownership of the laptop, I moved back to using it as my primary and only PC. It had a Mobility Radeon 9600 in it. I ran every game up to Oblivion, HL2, and TF2 just fine, once I got over the idea of playing "full settings ZOMG". I came to realize that a laptop was all I needed.

My current laptop cost me $499. It has integrated graphics, a GeForce 8200M. By all benchmarks these integrated graphics outperform the old laptop's graphics card. Sure, maybe I miss the screen real estate of my last desktop's 23" LCD, but the fact that I have one PC that goes anywhere with me (and I've spent two weeks at home in the last two months) and does everything I ask it to do including play the occasional game of TF2 and even L4D really outweighs the need to spend money upgrading all the time.

I also own a 360. I bought it on a winter clearance deal from Dell at 20% off, I got the first Jasper arcade edition so I can avoid RRODs. I spent $40 on a refurb 20GB HDD and second controller kit from Circuit City, and another $40 on a 12+1 month Gold Xbox Live sub. All told I'm into the Xbox hardware and subscription for about $240. I only use it to play social games... I don't think my mind could even encompass using anything but a keyboard and mouse to play an FPS.

With everything, I've spent about $740 in hardware between the laptop and the 360, and I can game for the next year. Another $40 and I get a second year. Add the cost of the games I've purchased in the past year and we're maybe hitting $900.

How does that $900 stack up against the dollar charts you guys came up with in your articles?

It doesn't matter.

Every user's situation is going to be different. I am willing to play a game at less than full graphics settings, so I can get away with a lot cheaper than most people can, and I can go without PC upgrades for a while.

Ryder has been saying this same thing: there's no winner in this debate. Both sides have their merits.

I'd go one step further and say that right now, both platforms are such good options, and can be bought at such a great hardware value, that the real winners are the users.
    edited August 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'd go one step further and say that right now, both platforms are such good options, and can be bought at such a great hardware value, that the real winners are the users.

Shhhhhhhh....... Where is the fun in that?
  • edited August 2009
    This is a thought to give you guys on what else is possible in the future.

esearchers work on using the brain(whatever waves it sents) is used to control plane's by thoughts currently used in simulators, this will trigger or has already triggered idea's for gaming aswell.
    for example i believe it's said that each individual has his/hers own brainwaves patterns like a signiture of fingerprint, and with some type of implant or regular brainwave particles that could transmit a signal to a main server by receptors on the console, from your home, or whereever you are, and play on it on your big HDTV.

So basically a console with storage capacity for a game, with receptors to receive brainwave particles which sends it to the server so whatever you think is set in motion.
    But the hardest thing is, it's like learning to walk.

^_^
    edited August 2009
    That would certainly be interesting. OCZ actually already has a neural control system out, the NIA.

Tech's not quite there yet, but we're getting there. It'll be neat.
  • edited August 2009
    I had no idea that such portable controlling system existed for consumers yet.
    All i knew it was tested in simulators of moving objects and stuff.
    I'm sure the technology will get there.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Until the day I am placed directly into a game, Matrix style. I'm sticking with a mouse and keyboard.