Breads - Is there a difference?

jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Fitness
Oh boy did I catch hell for this one. At ICHQ I made the remark that wheat bread and white bread were pretty much the same as far as health and nutrition. This was not taken well by the group.

But this comment didn't come out of my butt. Sometimes I actually have a good point...sometimes :-)

I have been compiling a spread sheet of 30 differnt breads that "Aunt Millies" produces (www.auntmillies.com).

I logged the nutritional label of each bread. What I found is that 23 out of 30 breads have virtually identical nutrition. Wheat, white, 100% wheat, multi-grain. All were static across the board. At least 12 grain had 5 time more fiber, but only 6g.

The major argument (Valid) was that the nutritional label means nothing and it how your body processes the food. I say the nutritional label is a reflection of the ingredients.

Another valid argument was the wheat bread has more of the grain parts than white. That would mean that fiber would be higher. Well it is higher in most, but only by .5g to 1g in most cases. Pretty much nothing.

The Healthy Goodness bread however, i will say, is much better from a nutritional point of view. Less sugar and more fiber.

I would say don't stress out about the type of bread you eat. The real choice is to eat the bread or don't. But between breads its almost all the same.

Attached is my spreadsheet. See for yourself.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    tl;dr: You're wrong.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    :rolleyes:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Fiber is awesome (for poopin).
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    tl;dr: You're wrong.

How long?

longcatg.gif
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    There is a huge difference in ingredients. You are wrong, flat out.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    if (Nutrition == a result of ingredients)
    {
    Nutritional Label = reflection of ingredients.
    }

therefore the you can get a good idea of the ingredients from the nutritional label. The data speaks for it's self. There are breads that are healthier than others (shown by the healthy goodness breads data) but it's not white vs. wheat. it's brand vs brand.

This is hard data folks. You may wish it wasn't true, but it is.
    edited August 2009
    It is white vs. wheat. Just because you choose to ignore 30 years of metabolic research because you walked into a grocery store with a clipboard doesn't mean you're right.

To anyone else: It's not worth wasting your time on this thread. Just move along.
    edited August 2009
    Thrax, Dude. I'd have to say you are very knowledgeable when it comes to metabolic processes and what is healthy. You've done a great job shedding the pounds and bulking up. So I'm not going to argue that different nutrients and ingredients process differently. I'm saying that what is available in the stores are all very similar. There could be exceptions were the bread is all natural, but the label would reflect that.

I don't know why you ignore hard data. Give me a link or something to show that nutritional labels do not matter.
    edited August 2009
    Ingredients of common white bread:
    Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

Ingredients of common wheat bread:
    Whole wheat flour

A calorie is not a calorie, it is not reflective of what creates that calorie.
    edited August 2009
    Nomad, you left a lot of ingredients out for wheat bread. Go to http://www.auntmillies.com/#goto_productsBreadHearth. Under the organic, compare the ingredents of 100% whole wheat and country white. Or the Homestyle, Country butter Milk to 100% whole wheat. Fiber only deviates by 1gram. All the Vitamin contents resulted in being the same. Looks like whole wheat or bleach wheat loose a heck of a lot of nutritional content during the processing stage. So much so they end up being the almost the same in the end product.

Oh a calorie IS a calorie. That's like saying an inch is not an inch.

I get your point that the total calorie count is made up of sugars, proteins and fats and the total calorie count is shifted in one of 3 direction depending on the food. And sugars you will retain more weight from calories from sugars than proteins.

To that point, look at the spreadsheet and compare the sugars and proteins. Very little difference. 1gram in most cases.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm kind of glad I missed this argument because I was curling my hair.
    edited August 2009
    I'm kind of glad I missed this argument because I was curling my hair.

GQ Wins! :p
    edited August 2009
    You are God-awful retarded.
    Nomad, you left a lot of ingredients out for wheat bread. Go to http://www.auntmillies.com/#goto_productsBreadHearth. Under the organic, compare the ingredents of 100% whole wheat and country white. Or the Homestyle, Country butter Milk to 100% whole wheat.

No, I didn't. Each brand has different ingredients. I make bread at home. I use water and wheat flour. You can buy lots of brands like that. We are talking about wheat bread, not Aunt Millie's shit they are allowed to market because the FDA has bad labeling practice.

I'm not pretending all wheat bread is the same anyhow. But wheat, unless infused with cancer, is always better than non-wheat products.
    Fiber only deviates by 1gram. All the Vitamin contents resulted in being the same. Looks like whole wheat or bleach wheat loose a heck of a lot of nutritional content during the processing stage. So much so they end up being the almost the same in the end product.

Simply because something has the same grams and vitamins does not mean it does the same thing in your body. Since you cannot understand this, I will write it all big and lol

Simply because something has the same grams and vitamins does not mean it does the same thing in your body.\
    Oh a calorie IS a calorie. That's like saying an inch is not an inch.

No. You are wrong. WRONG. wrong. -5 points for a dumb analogy. Since when is length and energy even in the same bio-mechanical ballpark?

If a calorie was just a calorie, I would sit on my ass and eat zebra cakes all day instead of chicken. Do you think a calorie is just a calorie to someone with peanut allergies?

"lol it says it's got 14g of fat, just like this hamburger, I guess the ingredients don't matte--OH SHI' I'VE GOT HIVES AND AM DYING, WHY DID I USE J's LOGIC AND END UP IN THE HOSPITAL WITH AN EPI PEN IN MY HEART."

Biochemically speaking, the ingredients interact different in your body, even if they are protein, carbs, or fats.
    I get your point that the total calorie count is made up of sugars, proteins and fats and the total calorie count is shifted in one of 3 direction depending on the food. And sugars you will retain more weight from calories from sugars than proteins.

Right, and if your bread is loaded with 17g of high-fructose corn syrup (despite just being 'a carb') it will be different than if you consume 17g of wheat pasta.

I am right, you are wrong. My experience trumps yours, and my dick is also bigger. Thanks for playing.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    8===D
    8==========================D
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    And suddenly J's avatar becomes appropriate.
    edited August 2009
    Nomad you sad little boy.
    "No. You are wrong. WRONG. wrong. -5 points for a dumb analogy. Since when is length and energy even in the same bio-mechanical ballpark?"

-10 for not knowing what a calorie is. But ok if you want an analogy with energy terms I'll rephrase: It's like saying a Joule is not a Joule. So your so very wrong. 1 calorie from fat IS = to 1 calorie of sugar. Just as 1 Joule of electricity IS = to 1 Joule of heat transfer. Come back when you know more about SI terms and what they mean. NEXT.

"Simply because something has the same grams and vitamins" So 1 gram of Vit C from an Orange is different from 1 gram of Vit C from Apple. Sorry, no matter were the gram comes from Vit C will act the same way.

"I make bread at home. I use water and wheat flour"
    HEY EVERYBODY Buy Nomad brand breads it's the most nutritious thing on the planet. kuz hez makz breadz at homez. -- you tart.
    edited August 2009
    I believe you're the first one to call names.
    edited August 2009
    j wrote:
    I believe you're the first one to call names.

norly?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    J... as much as I hate to get in the middle of this... you're wrong.

A calorie is a unit of energy. It makes a big difference where this energy comes from. That's why they put on the labels things like "calories from fat" because calories that come from fat are WAY worse for you than calories that come from, oh, say wheat. I agree with (and write this down people, it may never happen again) Nomad. You're all sorts of wrong.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Here is where this is all getting messed up.

Jeff, you are going by the strict definition. The point here is that your body does care where that calorie comes from, not just that is "is a calorie".
    edited August 2009
    I propose an experiment to put the calorie argument to rest. J, figure out your normal daily caloric and vitamin intake. Then for a month match your normal caloric intake with nothing but junk food (chocolate, ice cream, donuts, etc.). Make up the vitamin difference with supplements. I'm willing to bet your body ends up in not very good shape sir.
    edited August 2009
    Noman and Ardichoke:

a calorie is a unit of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius at a specified temperature.

I'm positive that when they say a calories from wheat is better than a calorie from fat it's because of the bi-products after the calorie is used up or how they get stored when you don't use the calorie. Don't get confuse with energy transfer and mass.
    edited August 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    . caloric intake with nothing but junk food (chocolate, ice cream, donuts, etc.).

That's my weekend food :tongue:
    edited August 2009
    I'm not J... that's the point... the byproducts have an effect on your body and thus the calories from wheat bread produce fewer bad byproducts than the calories from white bread. Thus, wheat bread is better for you than white bread. QED. STFU.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I had no idea Icrontic had so many nutrition scientists. Time to add a new tab in the navbar, I guess.
    edited August 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I had no idea Icrontic had so many armchair nutritionists. Time to add a new tab in the navbar, I guess.

fixed
    edited August 2009
    ahh and here is were my data wins. Where the calories are, is located in the nutritional label. Fibers, Sugars and Fats. The breads I compared had equal values (for the most part). And that's my point. If they have the same mass of Fiber, Sugar and fats, they should break down the same way. and the byproducts should be the same.

it seems to me the no one wants to look at the nutrition label.
    edited August 2009
    they should break down the same way.

They don't though. Such a pity.
    edited August 2009
    It seems to me nobody wants to look at your nutritional label because you used inconceivably shitty bread as your sample. If you want to do an experiment, experiment with the right materials, Beakman.

Your metabolism doesn't give two shits about what the label says. Nine grams of 100% whole wheat flour is digested vastly differently from nine grams of bleached flour. From how much energy the body can recruit from every gram, to what sugars are produced, to how much insulin responds, to how much glycogen is generated, every step of the metabolic process varies.

But again, wheat vs. white doesn't apply when you pick crap bread.
    edited August 2009
    The fiber sugar and fats will all break down the same way, however the actual WHEAT vs your cheap white-bread bleached flour will not.