Company of Heroes

CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
edited September 2009 in Gaming
Anyone on IC playing Company of Heroes? I want to try out some 2v2 games with non-pub people.

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I have it but I haven't played in a good long while. Don't expect much from me.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    I have it but I haven't played in a good long while. Don't expect much from me.

same. Love it though.

Though I'm a sucker for any good game, so I'm sure with enough convincing, I could reinstall.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I got Company of Heroes for free with my 8600GT a while back. I think I got about 2/3 of the way through after a year. A lot of people said it was great but I was never that in to it. Then again I never played online.
    edited September 2009
    I loved the combat, destruction, and complete visceral violence of it.

But I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the resource management style. Much like Dawn of War, you capture and hold points to gain more resources. This forces players to engage, but I always feel tense and rushed in systems like that.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    But I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the resource management style. Much like Dawn of War, you capture and hold points to gain more resources. This forces players to engage, but I always feel tense and rushed in systems like that.

It is called Real Time Strategy for a reason: you are forced to react in real time, you don't have the comfort of waiting to make a decision. I absolutely love the resource system in DoW and CoH for that reason. I like thinking on my toes and having to adapt on the fly, its good exercise for your brain.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Haven't played CoH in a while. Last time I was really into to it was back in the dorms when we'd stay up til 3 killin nazis. Might be worth getting back into it.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited September 2009
    I just want to find some more people to play with. I think Idiot_Slayer is tired of me trying to get him to play.
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited September 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I loved the combat, destruction, and complete visceral violence of it.

Its funny because this is why I love CoH and Dawn of War. None of that Starcraftian construct additional pylons manage workers nonsense.
    Inovation for once in an RTS, too bad Starcraft II will drag us back to the dark ages.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The Dark Ages? You mean the one where the computer doesn't do all the work for the lazy player?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Flame war go.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Turtle FTW. Dawn of War 2 was pretty fun though, if not repetitive.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    The Dark Ages? You mean the one where the computer doesn't do all the work for the lazy player?
    You still do a lot of work in coh
    edited September 2009
    I should first mention that I love DoW and CoH.

I like having a much greater focus on base building. I feel like DoW and CoH lose that focus in favor of progressing the warfront, the battlefield line of scrimmage if you will. I love 'older' style RTS because I like to spend a lot of time strategizing how my base is being built, and then having to defend it while putting on my own offensives.

Sure, you base build in CoH and DoW, but it's a very insignificant piece of the warfare. The majority of combat happens out on the battlefield. Once you have your primary buildings in place (barracks, vehicle manufacturing, houses) you just sort of forget about it.

In Command and Conquer, that base became a dynamic piece of the combat. It was constantly attacked, and you had to put a lot of focus on where your defensive pieces went.

Both styles are legitimate, but I hate having base building thrown in and not letting it play a large roll in the game.
    edited September 2009
    The brits are all about base building. Putting your building on the right spot on the battle field changes the way people play the map you are on.
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:

Lazy? Company of Heroes players are alot of things, but lazy? Heaven forbid I want to focus on combat in a strategy game GASP!
    UPSLynx wrote:
    In Command and Conquer, that base became a dynamic piece of the combat. It was constantly attacked, and you had to put a lot of focus on where your defensive pieces went.

In CoH bases really do have a decisive roll. Base raids happen frequently and they are constantly taking artillery fire, but your point is very valid for Dawn of War II where bases are one building, there is only a telephone pole tech tree and very few buildings that can be placed on map.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Oh man... I forgot about this game. I, too, got it with my 8600 a while back. I played it through til I hit this one mission that I couldn't for the life of me beat. Then I got frustrated and didn't play it for a while. Then I forgot about it. Maybe I'll have to reinstall it and give it another go.