Classic Shaving on a Budget

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    DE blades can often be found for around 49 cents a piece.

How long does a blade last you?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I usually get 5-7 shaves from a blade.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    OK, thanks, I need to make the switch then.

Paying $20+ for 12 blades that last 3 shaves - granted I have a really thick beard - is breaking the bank. I can use that money else where.

Not to mention it's not even a good shave. Razor burn like a bitch more often than not and an all around unpleasant experience.

*sigh*
    edited August 2009
    I'm like you.

Trust me, make the switch. The month or so until you really master it is time well spent. I am SO glad I switched.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Great article... I have been toying with the idea but had no idea where to start without spending a ton of $$$ to get a razor. Thanks Rob!!
  • Living-Dead-ChildLiving-Dead-Child Detroit New
    edited August 2009
    It really does save money. You can find feather blades on ebay for less than $.50 a blade. And if you are like me and super cheap with some obsessive complulseive mixed in you only use one blade a month. And you can get shaveing soap at the CVS for like a dollar.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Seriously LDC? I was going to ask, how many shaves can I expect from a blade. Mine wont go a month because my face is just so darn manly, but are they at least as durable as something like a Gillette mach 3 which I usually get about half a dozen or so shaves from before having to swap?
  • Living-Dead-ChildLiving-Dead-Child Detroit New
    edited August 2009
    I am serious. I would say my beard is average. I have a Mikuir safty razor that goes for like $70. My friend gavwe it to me as he did not like and he bought even a more expensive one. And for my birthday he gave me a real beaver hair shaving brush. These two things make a diffrence.

I get a great shave with the feather blades. And you have top remeber that you have two sides to the blade to use.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait to get these items to have a go at my manly beard!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You been hitting the 'roids again GQ?

Maybe I should check the whole classic shaving thing out... right now I just use a 30$ electric I picked up for sheer laziness... Then again my facial hair growth ability is pretty pathetic (especially for a 24 year old). lunchb0x can attest to this as he has seen me full-scraggle.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Will these work on "shorn scrotums"?
    edited August 2009
    o_O That's a scary though Preach.
    edited August 2009
    Not scary, Ardi...."breathtaking"....

"Dr. Evil: The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it."
    edited August 2009
    My googly-eyes are not for the shorn scrotum bit... but rather for attempting it with an old timey razor... seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
    edited August 2009
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    The fact that there is a youtube link immediately after that post is absolutely terrifying to me.
  • DareDare SD
    edited August 2009
    A. Greed.
    I want to click it... so badly..
    But I have an almost equal aversion to what might possibly lie behind that link...
    edited August 2009
    That which does not kill you, scar your brain cells, or sear your eyeballs makes you stronger...including a simple link to Aerosmith's "Living on the Edge."

Forums aren't as dangerous as IC IRC...DAMN, Blackhawk to hell for tricking me into googling Buck Angel!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    My skin is pretty sensitive and I've only been shaving for about seven months now, but should I invest in a safety razor and a shaving kit?

I only need to shave every two weeks or so due to the fact that my face hair grows slowly and it's blond so people don't notice it until two weeks or so without shaving.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Great piece, Rob.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited August 2009
    Great article man, I've been looking at getting in on the whole "shaving like a man" phenomenon that has swept through Icrontic.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thanks, fellas.

Gate28, if you are shaving at all, I think this type of kit is a good option worth trying.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited August 2009
    Next on the list - The dorky guys guide to buying dress shirts....

Hell - 90% of us our awkward in terms of shapes - When I get back from my honeymoon I should write a guide on how to find proper fitting dress shirts...
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    McBain wrote:
    Next on the list - The dorky guys guide to buying shirts....

Fixed, write article now, plzkthx
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited August 2009
    ha.

It's not all in the neck and arms boys.

:-/
    edited August 2009
    I'm looking forward to your article. :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2009
    Great article! Wonderful to know that more and more men are now into wet shaving. As for me, I use Merkur razors. It permits a close shave while still offering maximum protection from razor burn.
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the comment, Peter. I use a Merkur at home as well. However, for the purposes of assembling a kit on the cheap, I couldn't recommend a Merkur for that.
    edited April 2011
    I bought a sample pack of blades on Amazon for $8 to try a bunch of different brands.

Today I shaved with the "Trig" brand, which butchered my face. I threw them out. Ouchie.

In 2-3 days when my face heals, I'll try the Feathers.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    You can't beat 100 pack of Derby Extra Fine for $8 with free shipping (thank you, student prime). Gone are my days with 4-5 blade razors that only last a few shaves.