edited September 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Downloading mine now.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Everyone buy this and play with me!

Lord, I need people to play SF4 with. The online matchmaking is absolutely TERRIBLE. 8 times out of 10 I'm playing some god-tier player and they own me, and the other two times MIGHT be a good match.

I wish I still had local friends in these parts that play fighters, that's the best way to train....
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2009
    online matchmaking is not horrible if you are getting owned 8 out of 10 times it is an indication of other things.
    edited September 2009
    Bobby, we will have to set a playtime, I'm officially horrible for right now. I'm playing with a plug in 360 controller, less than ideal.

I'm going to have to get around to building a stick.
    edited September 2009
    online matchmaking is not horrible if you are getting owned 8 out of 10 times it is an indication of other things.

now THAT was uncalled for.

Seriously though, the online matchmaking is awful because there literally isn't any matchmaking.

I'm playing Eggroll tier players almost constantly.

I need local players more than anything, people that are at my skill level so I can learn and get better. Being beat by HADOUKENHADOUKENHADOUKENSHORYOUKENHADOUKEN doesn't teach me much (and before Eggroll comments, I don't mean that pattern, I mean Ken and Sagat players that steamroll)

Cliff, I'll see what I can do. you know how my schedule is. Your best bet is to just bug me on Twitter or something until I finally put away some work and cry uncle.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Downloading now... I'll see how it goes playing on my old Logitech controller.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2009
    now THAT was uncalled for.

I am sorry about that. That did come off a bit too harsh. Anyways, I just bought it and I am DL'ing now.
    Seriously though, the online matchmaking is awful because there literally isn't any matchmaking.

If you mean matching making as in similiar skilled players being paired off to fight than yes SF4 is lacking in that. The closest you are going to get to that kind of skill-based pairing is through playing CE mode. I am not sure how the PC version is, but playing through championship mode and "plateau-ing" at a certain level consistently for example: G2-B or G2-A is the only real "matchmaking" tool. Ranked matches are rigged, and player matches are too random. You can sandbag or get around ranked and player matches but CE matches tend to be legit.
    I'm playing Eggroll tier players almost constantly.

Please don't say things like that. I have had a very bad string of losses. Its what I get for concentrating on BlazBlue.
    I need local players more than anything [...] players that steamroll)

Use Shoryuken.com "Regional Matchmaking" for casuals and tournaments. Skim through the threads and find meetups and gatherings. Its like tweetups but more nerdier and focused.
    edited September 2009
    Again, my apologies as well, meant to be more sarcastic with my reply, I didn't take your words harshly.

Internet. Yeah, it's like that.

I don't play CE matches, perhaps that's what I've been missing. Ranked player matches tend to be the only thing I play, and that's where I've run into the trouble. I don't even think I've explored CE matches outside of simply knowing what they are. I'll certainly check it out.

I'll also look at Shoryuken's regional matchmaking, I've never given it a look over. Though I have to be honest, I don't expect I'll find much SF action around Northern Indiana. When I get better though, I'd be willing to do a little driving.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    Great discount, +1 game to play for me (man i have so many games i need to finish hah) :P
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Am I the only person on the face of the earth that thinks this game sucks dick? I know it's supposed to take "skill" but I'll take my button mashing Soul Calibur any day.
    edited September 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    Am I the only person on the face of the earth that thinks this game sucks dick?

Yes. Yes you are.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Buy it for me and I'll play with you! :D
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Buy it for me and I'll play with Prime!
    edited September 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    Am I the only person on the face of the earth that thinks this game sucks dick? I know it's supposed to take "skill" but I'll take my button mashing Soul Calibur any day.

We could start a mile long debate on what it is to be a truly "skill based" fighting game.

I'm one of the old guys around here so I will do what I do and give a little bit of a history lesson. Street Fighter II re invigorated arcades in the early 90's, it took a dying business model and gave it a kick in the rear. Street Fighter II was not the worlds first fighting game but it was the first with enough depth that it invited competitive play. People would gather around a cabinet and take turns challenging one another, and it was a beautiful thing. The best arcades might have multiple machines to handle the demand, it was that big of a deal. Mortal Kombat arrived not too much longer after that and it brought a boat load of controversy with it. The argument back then was what does the skilled fighter prefer? Truth be known for what MK lacked in depth it was an interesting two player contest because every character was so evenly balanced (as long as you were not one of those jerks that resorted to the Sub Zero cheese juggle). People from both camps would argue, I'm the truly skilled fighter because I mastered this game, and you play that "button masher". Then you had the SNK camp, they were a cult all their own and they would lay claim to having the most "skill based" fighting games in the world.

Flash forward a bit Sega and Namco start making some compelling games with the Virtua Fighter and Tekken series. I'll argue to my death that Virtua Fighter peaked at 2 which was a brilliant, after that it became too calculated and complex to be any fun. Everyone says Tekken just a mashers game. I say Tekken is a game of masterful and artful skill for the players that truly understand it. Can you mash to victory here and there? Sure you can. Will it carry you to victory frequently? No it won't.

Don't even get me started on DOA. The old school Street Fighter, SNK guys despise that game for its "button mashing" style, but fact of the matter is it has a brilliant counter and defensive system if you take some time and learn it, its actually very original and extremely deep.

Point I'm getting at is this. Sure, some fighting games demand a little more practice, and have more depth in mechanics, but ultimately no one takes more skill than another when your playing another gamer, it's just something the competitive player whines about when they find a game that they are not as dominating in. I hate it when someone proclaims their favorite fighting game requires the most skill, its total bullshit.
  • DareDare SD
    edited September 2009
    Super Smash Bro's is the win of fighting games, who are you kidding Cliff? XD
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Buy it for me and I'll play with you! :D
    Buy it for me and I'll lose to all of you and make you all feel really good about yourselves.