Engie update?

Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
edited September 2009 in Team Fortress 2
Did you guys catch this little leak, supposedly its from the competitive beta.
DISCUSSION BEGIN

sizesThe P.D.Q. builds buildings faster but can't upgrade.
Pretty interesting change to the class.
sizes

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm, It has to have another bonus, not upgrading just to build faster is not worth it.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Maybe there are different wrenches.
  • ScizSciz Chesterfield
    edited September 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Hmmm, It has to have another bonus, not upgrading just to build faster is not worth it.

Im with Koreish. If you got two engies building fast isn't a problem. And what diff does it make if you can build fast but not upgrade. Only advantage I see to this is possibly on a level 3 sentry it will be easier for the engie to keep it alive...maybe? It looks photoshopped or something. I doubt that's real tbh.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    It's real - they've been beta testing assorted upgrades (nerfing the blutsager, for example). But it may not be rolled out in that form.

The only use i can see is for an offensive engie to throw down a lvl 1 sentry quick in the middle of combat.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I only see it being useful for a disposable engie at the beginning of a round or setting up a defensive point. Two people go engie; one drops a sentry and a dispenser and goes to get more metal while the fast builder makes sure they get built and stay alive until he gets back.

Seems pretty pointless, but then, they released Bonk! too...
    edited September 2009
    But Bonk! has so many uses. Like allowing you to by pass the sentry so the heavy a little farther off can maul you. It lets you decide whos gonna kill you.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Wanna talk pointless? Go look at the sniper update.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I love this!

Prime and I led the team as offensive engies the other night. With one engie to build and one to upgrade you could really get a good synergy going. The new wrench emphasizes the "team" in Team Fortress. The only thing better would be a second wrench that upgrades quicker but builds slow!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    As a certified Offensive Engineerâ„¢, I would say that the ability to poop out super-fast building sentries would be highly useful in my overall strategy of Confusion, Chaos, and Annoyance.

//edit: And yes, BuddyJ and I caused mass chaos for Red the other night. We were a Texan powerhouse team.
    edited September 2009
    ^5
  • AmpersandAmpersand North Dakota
    edited September 2009
    eedea96b221429d2f79f.png

/lurk
    edited September 2009
    They have pics like that for all the classes.
  • F-SteinF-Stein Canada.
    edited September 2009
    Koreish wrote:

Actually, the Engineer's greatest strength lies within "Offensive Engineering" which requires you to only build a level one sentry, and fight along side of it. Commonly destroying it, and building it elsewhere to keep enemies guessing, he can be entirely devastating. The only issue right now is trying to build your level one sentry fast enough. This little number will make him all the more deadly.
    Remember that the Engineer can two-shot kill 125/150 HP classes with meatshots, similarly to the Scout. He's a force to be reckoned with, in the right hands!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    YES! YES!

This man speaks the truth! Pooping out sentries and shotgunning the confused people running around like ants is the way, the truth, and the light!
  • BalthusdireBalthusdire GR Michigan
    edited September 2009
    YES! YES!

This man speaks the truth! Pooping out sentries and shotgunning the confused people running around like ants is the way, the truth, and the light!

I totally agree, I love offensive engie.
    edited September 2009
    I still would like to see another bonus to it.
  • F-SteinF-Stein Canada.
    edited September 2009
    Out of curiosity, what would you add to it, Koreish?
    edited September 2009
    Faster strikes, less damage. Make it more like the scout bat in close combat. Speed wrench FTW.
  • BalthusdireBalthusdire GR Michigan
    edited September 2009
    I think the P.D.Q. could be excellent, but I think it would need to be balanced with a change to the shotgun that would compliment it.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I think people will find out (if this really is apart of the engie's new loadout) that the PDQ will be eminently useful.

One thing that would be amazingly awesome is if they add in an aoe damage for when you destruct buildings. Your dispensers become remote bombs!
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpCr-5JRU2U

(video showing some of the potential new unlocks)
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited September 2009
    Throwing sandviches looks very fun.
    edited September 2009
    F Stein wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what would you add to it, Koreish?

What BuddyJ said would be nice. Faster or cheaper repair rate, maybe as low as 10%.
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited September 2009
    So any comments on the new patch? Blutsauger nerf? Medic + Heavy buff (additional healing and sandvich distribution?

I freaking love it. I never was a big fan of the sandvich but jesus it is helpful now.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Not a huge fan of the Blutsauger nerfs.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I don't know why but its just hurts my ears to hear people on the servers yelling "pyro check for that engie, yo engie get a teleporter up, hey noob, don't take the engie's metal!"

Engineer, its one extra syllable.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I only looked at the latest update for a few minutes yesterday, but it looks like the blutsauger WASN'T nerfed. Sure, it now saps -2 health per second, but that STACKS with the newly added +3 to +6 health per second. That means you ultimately regain +1 to +4 health per second, right? And before the patch, you only regained +1 to +3 per second?

AND now the blutsauger gets crits.

did I read this wrong? because it looks like a buff to me, only with a bigger buff to the regular syringe gun (sorry, I mean tampon gun).

If I've got this right, I think it balanced the tampon gun with the blutsauger quite well. I mean, I use the medigun more often, so I feel like I'd be better served carrying the tampon gun to keep the passive health gain going strong. But sapping health AND getting crits with the blutsauger isn't a shabby little combo, either. Actually, I'm kind of torn!
    edited September 2009
    Blut wasn't nerfed, syringe gun was buffed :). With the syringe gun, i believe you don't take any net damage when you're on fire.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    That looks like a great addition. Some part of me hopes that the engie will at least get some upgrade where he has two wrenches for double-JUSTICE! What about a small robot that hovers around and shoots at enemies/exposes spies? A mobile, but lower level sentry?