*FIX* Linksys WMP54G v4.1 lag on Windows 7

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Science & Tech
The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.

Also, consider getting a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=Wireless+Access+Point&quot;&gt;new wireless access point</a>.
ยซ13

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Good info, Thrax. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2009
    Hey, wanted to know if you had the 32-bit version of that link as I'm not running the 64-bit windows 7
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    The drivers cover both.
  • edited May 2009
    Hmm, cause when I tried to follow the guide you made up there it didn't work, stating that 64-bit file will not work :(
  • edited May 2009
    Archreaper wrote:
    Hmm, cause when I tried to follow the guide you made up there it didn't work, stating that 64-bit file will not work :(

I also have this problem. At this point if there's not x86 fix for this card I'm going to throw it in a box and buy a different one. It's become ridiculous.
    edited May 2009
    I eventually bailed on the card and went to a D-Link DWA-522. I suggest everyone do something similar.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.

Thanks for posting this Thrax but I'm having no luck installing these drivers.

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless card and Win 7 32 bit installed on a hard disk all to itself (HDD caddy). I haven't been able to get online at all so therefore can't get the Win 7 update for drivers for this card.
    This is probably my problem.

I downloaded the drivers you supplied (thank you) but my problem is the card isn't listed in device manager.

I have several 'Other devices' listed in device manager amongst them two unknown devices, a network controller and a DVC170 which I don't know what it is.

All of these Other Devices don't like the drivers I've downloaded from here and will not install them.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

As an aside, Win 7 has just informed me the activation period has expired and I therefore do not have a genuine copy of Windows. Well, that's because I can't get online to activate it...

The machine spec (which is working flawlessly with Win XP Pro) and which is probably more than you need to know but I just cut and pasted this info:

Asus M2N sli Deluxe motherboard
    AMD Athlon AM2 XP6400+ 3.2Ghz dual core CPU
    Noctua NH-U12F CPU Cooler with 2 x 120mm fans
    2Gb Corsair XMS DDR2 6400C5 memory
    BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb Video card
    Creative Audigy 2 Sound Card
    Linksys Wireless WMP54G V4.1 Network card
    Sata II Caddies For Primary drive x 3 housing:
    250Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk (Win XP)
    160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (For Linux Distros)
    160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (For Linux Distros)
    Storage Hard Disks:
    320Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
    750Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
    Western Digital 120Gb Hard Disks x 2
    Dazzle Platinum USB Video/Audio interface breakout box
    Antec Sonata Case
    Corsair 650W Non Modular PSU
    Plextor 800A 18 x DVDRW PATA
    Asus DVD-ROM PATA
    A Floppy Drive
    Logitech corded G5 Laser Mouse
    Logitech flat compact keyboard, corded
    Samsung 22รขโ‚ฌย 2232BW Glossy Black Pebble Monitor
    Pioneer A300 80wpc amplifier
    A pair of Bush SPK2025 Loudspeakers
    HP Photosmart 7960 Inkjet Printer

PS: I could make up a CAT 5 cable to run between rooms from the Linksys wireless card to the linksys wirelss router/modem which has four hardwired ports. I could then enable onboard LAN and probably get the rudimentary drivers for the wireless card from MS - do you think this may be my only option?
    edited June 2009
    The driver package in fact only contains x64 driver. My condolences.
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I eventually bailed on the card and went to a D-Link DWA-522. I suggest everyone do something similar.

Good idea.

Thanks for your reply.

Just out of interest Linux Mint 7 won't recognise the Linksys card either and I read elsewhere that Linksys flatly refuse to compile drivers for Win 7 for the WMP54G card.

If that information is correct then poor show from Linksys eh?
    edited June 2009
    It's impossible to know what Linksys does and does not refuse to do. Most people have had a fine experience with this card, but there are isolated pockets of those that don't.

To be fair, this card is borderline ancient for a wifi nic.
    edited June 2009
    An update of sorts.

I thought I'd buy a D-Link DWA 522 card as that would be problem solved and it looks to be a fine card.

But it would seem the card is not yet available in the UK. I've tried a dozen suppliers, Amazon and Googled until my fingers bled but I just can't find one for sale in this beleagured little isle of ours.

I had to order a few bits online so I got me's a cheapie D-Link wireless card DWL G510, taking a gamble.

The card works perfectly with Win XP Pro and I note it's considerably faster than the Linksys WMP54G but I cannot get it to work in Win 7 32 Bit.

I've tried the drivers on the CD, fresh drivers from D-Link and drivers from RaLink none of which were successful in Win 7.

On the plus side though Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' took a shine to it and I'm now online with this Distro which I'm rather fond of, have just completed all the software updates, all 279 of them :)

So it was worth the ร‚ยฃ16.50 just to get Mint working and faster speeds in Win XP.

I had intended to use Win 7 when it is at last released as an OEM version and put my version of Vista onto the machine I'm using as a Media machine but I'm a little wary now.

If the DWA522 is released in Britain I'll definitely go for it but I'll have to bide my time.

And on a side note, I feel that Vista was definitely below par, not too bad but flawed and slow and Win 7 is MS's acknowlegement that they foisted a pile of crap on us and charged us for it, at the time telling us it was the bestest thing ever.

Now they want to charge us a second time for righting the wrongs in Vista.

I honestly think either Win 7 should have been issued as a Vista patch or at the very least every Vista licence holder should get a free copy or a substantial discount.

It's a repeat of the ME saga as far as I'm concerned and it is no small wonder lots of folk have no confidence in Mr Ballmer and his gangstas of unfair trading practices.

ok - /rant ;)
    edited June 2009
    Windows 7 has so many core changes that it would be impossible to release it as a patch. The exterior may look similar, but the interior is a whole new ball game. It's significant enough that they could have changed the kernel number one full revision to NT 7.0, but they left it as 6.1 for compatibility reasons.
  • edited September 2009
    Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but:

Thank you a lot for your effort, Thrax. This driver works perfectly for me! :D

No more huge lag spikes every 60 sec.
  • edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:

Thrax, if you don't mind my asking, how come you ditched the card? I've been using some older driver for some time, but was experiencing lag, and I stumbled upon your thread. No question the newer driver made a world of a difference.

But, now, when browsing, I'm experiencing lockups and all sorts of strange problems. When I uninstall the driver, everything goes back to normal. Did you experience this? Is that why you bailed on that driver?
    edited September 2009
    No, I bailed on the card because the performance still wasn't as good as newer wireless chipsets such as those featured on the D-Link card. I surely experienced no freezing, though. :)
  • edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    No, I bailed on the card because the performance still wasn't as good as newer wireless chipsets such as those featured on the D-Link card. I surely experienced no freezing, though. :)

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I hope I can get the card to work properly. The card makes browsing exponentially better. But there must be some flaws that I am unaware of. Anytime I run a speed test, my computer will completely lock up and I have to force shut down.
    Jasdemi wrote:
    Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but:

Thank you a lot for your effort, Thrax. This driver works perfectly for me! :D

No more huge lag spikes every 60 sec.

@Jasdemi, could you do me one favor? Could you go to either of these two websites and run a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

When I run speed tests at either of these sites, everything goes along just fine until the upload process, at which point the computer completely locks up and requires a force shut down.

I would think that any time I'm uploading something, I'll probably face the same issue.
    edited September 2009
    By the way, welcome to Icrontic to the both of you, Jasdemi and eyc908. :) I hope you'll explore other sections of our community and find a new home here.
  • edited September 2009
    eyc908 wrote:

@Jasdemi, could you do me one favor? Could you go to either of these two websites and run a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

When I run speed tests at either of these sites, everything goes along just fine until the upload process, at which point the computer completely locks up and requires a force shut down.

I would think that any time I'm uploading something, I'll probably face the same issue.

Both speedtests are working fine for me.
  • edited October 2009
    OK, now I need help. First I installed the RT2500 drivers for my WMP54G card on Windows 7 64-bit and it worked.. but I have many lags and often a very slow connection. I definitely need other drivers. So I found this thread and tried it, but whatever I do, it always ends with the error "This device cannot start (Code 10)". Any ideas?? Thanks.
    edited October 2009
    There are several versions of the WMP54G adapter. This guide is only compatible with v4.1, as it is the only adapter to use the RT2500 chipset.
  • edited November 2009
    Dear Thrax,

I registered on this forum just to tell you A HUGE THANKS FOR THIS FIX. I had been googling for ages as I had this kind of packet loss on win7, and this was actually a GOOD result, some were way worse!
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                             192.168.0.1 -    5 |  517 |  493 |    0 |   29 | 1837 |    0 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

I used these drivers and what do you know:
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |  223 |  223 |    0 |    0 |    3 |    0 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
       WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

It was making me mad that my laptop worked just fine but the PC suffered so badly. I nearly decided to go draw another cable...

Great fix, worked very fine for me! Someone should make this fix more spread.
  • edited November 2009
    Ok, I figured out, that I have the v4.0. So here is a fix for people with the WMP54Gv4: http://www.walterglenn.com/2009/10/26/windows-7-64-bit-getting-the-linksys-wireless-pci-card-wmp54g-to-work/
  • edited December 2009
    Hi, i have bought a new pc recently and i was having problem with lag issue and random gamefreezes for 2-3 sec and then everything moves again in high speed, for my game World of Warcraft. After lots of searching i found this thread.
    I tried it out and i have a problem, i have the WMP54G v4.1 and did what has been told in this thread.
    Now my problem is, the fix worked for me for like 1 day and suddenly my game froze and made some weird sound. I had to reboot my pc and after this, whenever i try to log in my character, the pc gets frozen again with the same sound and i can't get on my main character at all. The weird thing is, i can just log in fine on my lvl 1 character.
    Anyone know what is going on? I am not that known with these kind of things and any help would be appreciated, this random freezes are driving me nuts :S

(ps sorry for the weird posting, posted it this morning and foudn out it was double posted then tried to edit it and delete one but the whole post got deleted. So had to write a new one again)
  • edited December 2009
    This patch has fixed my lag spike issues while playing steam games, but now everytime I try to search for a server my whole computer freezes. I installed back the original linksys drivers and the freezing stopped. For those that are having freezing issues... try this
    http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Adapters&thread.id=21617
  • MbooseMboose North Carolina
    edited December 2009
    Thanks a lot Thrax, easy steps and it actually worked!
  • edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:

• edited January 2010
    The steps were great!! And worked like a champ!!! PLEASE KEEP IN MIND.....ONLY FOR WMP54G ver4.1 series!! Will NOT work on other versions. I have Windows 7 32 bit, and worked AWESOME!! :)
  • edited February 2010
    Paraphrasing floppybootstomp because I have a very similar problem.

Thanks for posting this Thrax but I'm having no luck installing these drivers.

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless card 4.1 and Win 7 64 bit Ultimate installed. I haven't been able to get online at all so therefore can't get the Win 7 update for drivers for this card.
    This is probably my problem.

I downloaded the drivers you supplied (thank you) but my problem is the card isn't listed in device manager.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

The machine spec which is probably more than you need to know but I just cut and pasted this info:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    Mobo: GA-EX58-DS4
    RAM: 6GB OCZ DDR3
    GPU: Sapphire 5870
    HDD: WD 1TB
    Pioneer Blu-Ray
    PSU: Zalman 750W
    Case: CM 690 Pure
    Network: WMPG54 4.1

PS: I could make up a CAT 5 cable to run between rooms from the Linksys wireless card to the netgear wirelss router/modem which has four hardwired ports. I could then enable onboard LAN and probably get the rudimentary drivers for the wireless card from MS - do you think this may be my only option?

What can I do?
    edited February 2010
    If the card isn't listed in the device manager, you need to try reseating it in the PCI slots in your computer. Either the card isn't making sufficient contact with the motherboard, or it's dead.
  • edited February 2010
    Hey Guys,

i'm also trying to get the WMP54G V4.1 to run on 7 Ulitmate 64-bit. Actually it's a bit strange here since the ralink drivers (RT61 Wireless Card V2) DID work in matters of getting the device started. but even after rebooting multiple times, it will still NOT let me establish any connection. says there are no connections available, when i let the windows networks diagnosis thingy run, it tells me there are problems with the installed driver for the wireless adapter, although according to the devices manager, the device works perfectly! i'm REALLY confused here. any suggestions on how to fix this ? and maybe worth mentioning, it was a TOTALLY fresh installation of 7, so there were no other drivers involved before!