Re-applied Thermal Paste.. computer wont power at all.

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Well I recently installed the Xigmatek dark knight heat sink. At first everything seemed good, but then the temps were just as bad as the stock heatsink, if not worse. The temperature right next to my computer was only 27 degrees Celsius and yet my CPU was at 60-65 degrees IDLE.

I was pretty sure that I used to much thermal paste. Decided to go in and re-apply it. I did everything correctly. I used an anti-static wrist band. I cleaned off the old thermal paste with a small amount of alcohol. Re-applied thermal paste (this time a smaller amount) I then put everything back together. Pressed the power button and nothing happened. It was as if I did not have power at all. The power supply fan didn't even turn. I checked the switch in the back, I tried multiple outlets. I started removing stuff.
I pulled out my graphics card and tried to turn it on again.... Nothing.
I unplugged all the drives.... nothing.
I checked all the connections. I made sure everything was seated properly.
It is almost as if the power supply or motherboard is dead. My power supply does not have a light or a test switch or anything. I was gonna try another power supply, but the only other one that I have is old and is not a 20+4 pin.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?? It was working perfectly fine right before this.

This is a huge bummer... I just modded this case. Everything was good, then bam..... :banghead:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Take the motherboard out of the case. Reseat the heatsink. Run the system outside of the case.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Take the motherboard out of the case. Reseat the heatsink. Run the system outside of the case.

Well it runs outside the case. The motherboard must have been hitting something that was shorting it out or something. That is all I can think of. I tested the power supply, and it was good. I then started to get real worried thinking something was wrong with the motherboard and started to panic lol. I am relieved now.

Thanks Thrax
  • edited September 2009
    Did you put the electrical insulator layer between the motherboard and back-plate? This sticker with 3M label
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    mirage wrote:
    Did you put the electrical insulator layer between the motherboard and back-plate? This sticker with 3M label

Yea I did. But I have a feeling that it was something to do with the heatsink or the backplate not being mounted right that I did not see. Because when I took the motherboard out, re-seated the heatsink and tried to run it out of the case it worked fine. Put everything back in the case and it is working fine now.
  • edited October 2009
    Maybe the fan on heatsink was not pluged in all the way first time.