Windows 7 OEM prices make for big savings

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    So, if i buy a new computer next year i cant transport win7 to it without buying another copy?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Retail license: Can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs, as long as it's only installed on one PC at a time.
    OEM license: Can only be installed on one computer, and the license cannot be transferred to a new computer and/or new motherboard.

There's nothing stopping you from treating an OEM license like a retail license, but those are the legalities as per the EULA.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like good news to me. Definitely not complaining :D
    I think it's a smart move to give OEM a decent sized discount.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    My recommendation for OEM copies is to save money for family and friends, or customers that may want you to build a computer for them. They are not going to swap out a motherboard, and they are not going to call MS if they have a problem, they are going to call you, because hey, you are the family nerd, that's what you do.

For our systems, seriously, get a retail copy. If your an enthusiast you won't regret it. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm going to guess that Windows 7 is going to have some staying power, its going to be around at least four or five years, and no doubt in my mind that any real enthusiast is going to want to do at least one motherboard swap in that time, and very possibly two or three if your a real hardware nut.

OEM for friends and family that just buy a new computer every five years, retail for the enthusiast.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2009
    The discount that would really jazz me would be a multi-license pack that would have like $300 for the first copy and $XX for each copy thereafter- like $50/copy for the next 5, etc. When you have his&her's desktop and loptop with kids and Folding rigs....

There should be some way of doing it....
    edited September 2009
    You mean like the Windows 7 family pack? Three licenses for $150 USD: http://icrontic.com/twitter/thracks-the-win-7-family-pack-officially-slashes-the-p
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    You mean like the Windows 7 family pack? Three licenses for $150 USD: http://icrontic.com/twitter/thracks-the-win-7-family-pack-officially-slashes-the-p
    It's discontinued and I'm thinking Retail Pro versions
    edited September 2009
    Discontinued on that website. It's an official package from Microsoft, but there is no equivalent for Pro. Do you actually need Pro? It only really adds support for domain joining.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Discontinued on that website. It's an official package from Microsoft, but there is no equivalent for Pro. Do you actually need Pro? It only really adds support for domain joining.

Yes- both of us. Depending on what job one kid might get too...may as well cover it. I guess I could save some using WAUs to get there, but I think the Family Packs are only for upgrades. Retails may at least take some hassles in replacing PCs out of the equation and trading money for time could be worth it here.

At any rate, I would have hoped for more convenient deals across the board and spare us all this math.