Problem with internet one VLAN

DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi folks

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router with DD-WRT v24 SP1 firmware to share my one internet connection between two networks. Both networks can see the internet but not each other.

Just recently, I've been having some problems with the internet connection only on the VLAN2 network. The other network is running fine. I'm at a loss to see what on earth the problem could be, as no settings were changed.

I've setup the router using this guide. I've changed the config to match my needs. Only port 1 and 2 are active.

Port 1 is VLAN0
Port 2 is VLAN2

I seem to be able to ping all sites okay and can run a full traceroute fine. Some websites load fine like google and cnn. But other websites like facebook, hotmail, mymanitoba don't load. It just hangs and does nothing.

Anyone else having this problem? Any help is appreciated!

P.S. If you know how to separate networks an easier way than what I'm doing I have my ears opened!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    First try rebooting the router if you haven't, sometimes the vram gets full and messes things up.

Otherwise try hard coding the MTU if you haven't (1492 if you are on dsl, 1500 for cable, but sometimes 1492 works better).
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited September 2009
    The router has been rebooted many times before.

I'll try the MTU thing and get back to you.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2009
    I scanned through the guide quickly.

I suspect the problem lies in this iptables statement

iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan2 -o ppp0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Unless you have adsl and are using your router to create the pppoe connection this statement is wrong.

You will have to change ppp0 to whatever interface your wan is on.

Also your WAN's MTU and vram (?? prehaps he means <b>dram</b> or nvram) have nothing to do with your problem.
    edited September 2009
    I am on dsl and the router is making the connection. I haven't been able to look at the problem for a few days. I'm hoping it's fixed itself. I should be able to look at it in a couple days. If not I have another router that I'll try.
    edited October 2009
    well as GrayFox mentioned the MTU had no effect on the problem. I've completely reconfigured the box with no success. I tried another router (WRT54GL v1.1 - same as other one) and it does the same thing!!!! I don't know what else to try. Am I the only one using that tutorial and having trouble? Does anyone know a way to do this? I'm almost pissed off enough to just buy a cisco router and have a go at it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Honestly I stopped using DD-WRT a long time ago and switched to tomato firmware because I got tired of the endless problems I was having with DD-WRT. Tomato though, doesn't support vlan's. So your out of luck.

One easy fix would be just get another router. Put your protected network behind the other router and your done. Your protected network will be able to see anything on the other network but the other network won't be able to get into the protected network.