Sim City 2000 in Windows 7

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Science & Tech
I discovered my Sim City 2000 CD (Collector's Edition!) floating around my parents house, and used it to install the game (my favourite game ever!) on my laptop. I'm running Windows 7, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it works!...mostly. The only issue I have at the moment involves saving, or anything else that pops up a windows dialogue box, such as the "Load Tile Set" option. When I try to do anything like that (that opens a Windows box, not a Sim City specific box), it crashes and closes itself down. I've done some websurfing to try find a solution, but I've been unable to come up with anything over the past few days.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Even in Windows XP Compatibility mode?
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Even then. I was considering trying it in the XP virtual box that was being hyped up, but I can't find it, so I'm assuming it'll only be avaliable in the paid release of 7
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sim City 2000 was DOS-compatible, so I recommend running the game in DOSBOX.

For the record: The download for the Windows 7 XP VM RC is here.
    edited August 2009
    The DOS version of Sim City 2000 loses a lot of the features of the Collector's edition CD, unfortunatley. I've tried it before in DOSBOX, but it's downright annoying losing out on SCURK and its ilk, so I was hoping to get it running here.

Thanks for the link Thrax, I'll grab that and try it out.
    edited August 2009
    I meant, right clicking the shortcut and setting the compatibility to Windows XP SP3. Sorry. Also, have you made sure Aero is disabled? That could maybe have an affect.
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. I hadn't thought to check the aero, i'll try that.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Running in XP compatibility mode should automatically disable Aero (At least it does for me when I'm running NWN in XP Compat mode). Try running it as Administrator, that's probably the most common fix for old games in Win7 that I've seen.
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, ardichoke. I thought about that about 20 minutes after I posted. Then, I was too lazy to update. :-p
  • l3it3rl3it3r Fairfax County Member
    edited September 2009
    I also found this disc the other day and will gladly try and install it tonight.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of Sim City, I've been on a massive Sim City 4 bender over the last 6 weeks. It's the first time I've ever committed myself to filling the region with cities, and I am owning face.

I just updated the infrastructure of my oldest cities to include freeways, which was basically a giant pain in the ass. All told, though, I was able to shoehorn it in, condense health and education into larger facilities, and save a bunch of money.

(necro)
    edited September 2009
    Obsessions are usually 'bad' things...
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2009
    not when simcity is involved!!!
    edited October 2009
    So I mispoke.. I can't seem to find my 2000 disc, but 3000 works ok.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited October 2009
    I've always kind of leaned more towards 3000 over 2000. More control and a bit more realism. Missed the arcos, tho
  • cassiemaecassiemae minnesota
    edited February 2010
    i downloaded sim city 2000 online on my windows 7 laptop, and it doesnt work.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Ok.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Reticulating Splines....