Korsakovia mod is a mental deathtrap

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait to play this! Wish I had surround sound but I will be playing with headphones :)
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Guh-REAT find. LOVE me some HL2 mods.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I forgot to mention: the voice acting in this mod is really really good. Much better than standard run of the mill crap you find in mods.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The voice acting is great. And I love story-driven games. But thus far, this is one big 'where the hell am I supposed to go?' interspersed with really eerie audio. I HATE having to turn noclip on just to find out I missed a really well-hidden ladder.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    The voice acting is great. And I love story-driven games. But thus far, this is one big 'where the hell am I supposed to go?' interspersed with really eerie audio.
    QFT

Also it's after midnight here, the lights are off, volume up and surround sound on.
    I'm more than a little freaked. :hair:
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Another reminder why the PC is the superior gaming platform. Thanks for the heads up, I will need to check this out.
  • edited October 2009
    Why can't I play this game? It always says Valve is too busy to handle the request.
    edited October 2009
    Dillmeister, can you elaborate on the problem? When is the error happening? How did you download/install the game? Any other details?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I played about 20 minutes tonight, and I was primarily shocked by the quality of the voice acting. Few things in a game drive me away more quickly than bad voice acting, regardless of the story or the graphics.

Can't wait to come back to this later.
  • edited October 2009
    Bobby Miller, I dragged the Korsakovia folder into SourceMods, just like I do with other Mods. They all work. When I open up steam (I've deleted the registry and updated multiple times and it still won't work), and click Korsakovia and launch the game, it says that Steam is too busy to handle my request and it won't open up. I've tried reinstalling Korsakovia as well.
    edited October 2009
    Dillmeister - I've heard of that happening before... I've read that this is the solution:

Remove the file clientregistry.blob in the directory /Steam/

There's a big archive on the steampowered forums that details what to do in this situation, found here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

Try that out.
  • edited October 2009
    I've tried that. It didn't work. Maybe another time will be the trick.

Thanks, anyways!
    edited October 2009
    I take it all other mods - custom and official alike - work just fine?
  • edited October 2009
    Yes, all other mods work. For some reason Korsakovia doesn't want to.
    edited October 2009
    Where did you download the file, ModDB? Perhaps trying a new download at a different location could change things?

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Korsakovia%3B104163

It's a stretch... I need to keep thinking.
  • edited October 2009
    I got it from FileFront. The ModDB one wouldn't download for me.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Hmm... I think I know what I'll be playing once I beat Assassin's Creed now. If this freaks me out so bad that I grab a crowbar, lock myself in my bathroom and refuse to come out, I'm blaming you Lynx.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I normally don't respond well to horror movies or games. They bore me, they rarely get me beyond the occasional "SURPRISE!" gimmick, and I'd simply rather not waste my time... Korsakovia, on the other hand. Delicious.
    edited October 2009
    It is seriously impressive the fear and tension they've created with Korsakovia.

This kind of indie development should be making waves in the industry. This work is absolutely awesome.

Dillmeister....

Hmm.. My only other thought would be to totally re-install Steam, but that's a bit too much of a hassle for just one mod. Maybe ask around the official steam forums for similar situations?

I'm out of ideas without some extensive searching of the web. Sorry I couldn't be more help...

If you come across a solution, please share it with us. This is very intriguing to me.
  • edited November 2009
    To Dillmeister

Another solution might be checking your free harddrive space. Iร‚ยดve had the same problem, but not with this mod. My HDD was clogged, so Steam refused to start the game. Since this mod uses assets from Episode 2, i would recommend at least 3 gigs of free space on your HDD. Defragmentation lowers the level loading times, obviously...
  • edited July 2011
    Dillmeister! Korsakovia requires HL2 episode 2. ;)
    If U have it on your PC,place Korsakovia folder in the half-life 2 episode 2 directory,rename korsakovia folder to something short (like "KK") .
    creat a shortcut of hl2,open shortcut's properties and in the "target" type " -steam -game KK ".
    It looks like this for me: " "H:\Games\Half-Life 2 Episode Two\half-life 2 episode two\hl2.exe" -steam -game KK " (works 100%) ;)
  • edited July 2011
    oh,and - I downloaded Korsakovia from ModDB. ;)

+ I recommend U to try out "Half-Life 2-Riot Act" & "Nightmare house 2" ,they're great. ;)
  • As of 2013, all the above installation information for Korsakovia is wrong.

To install Korsakovia, upzip the Korsakovia folder into your Steam Software Development Kit (SDK) 2007 folder. By default the filepath is something like "C:\Steam\SteamApps\YOURUSERNAME\source sdk base 2007". Now *manually* create a shortcut to the hl2.exe found in the SDK 2007 folder (Note: tweaking the launch options via Steam and creating a Steam-created shortcut won't work). Open your shortcut's properties. In the "target" field type: -steam -game Korsakovia. Use that shortcut to launch the game.