Forget the console and build a gaming PC! A value comparison

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    And it's exactly why many people just give up and buy consoles.
  • edited October 2009
    Basic PC approximately $400
    Xbox 360 Pro – Includes console, controller, headset, hard drive. – $300
    Xbox Live 2 Years – $100
    Total: $800 just to have all the hardware you need to equal the required functionality of the gaming PC.

something wrong with this math? he added basic PC with Pro xbox and live to get 800. but he is saying its 800 JUST for the xbox stuff. he's 400 over.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    gotsmurb wrote:
    Basic PC approximately $400
    Xbox 360 Pro – Includes console, controller, headset, hard drive. – $300
    Xbox Live 2 Years – $100
    Total: $800 just to have all the hardware you need to equal the required functionality of the gaming PC.

something wrong with this math? he added basic PC with Pro xbox and live to get 800. but he is saying its 800 JUST for the xbox stuff. he's 400 over.

No, it takes into account that everyone requires a PC, the console does not replace the functionality of a basic personal computer.
    edited October 2009
    And we've already been over that everybody doesn't need a PC.

/thread
  • edited October 2009
    Was mispelling intentional? lol
    edited October 2009
    Is "mispelling" your version of irony, or did somebody actually misspell misspelling somewhere?

Would you care to point it out for the editors? :)
  • edited October 2009
    funny isn t it? PRICE of persia
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed. -ed.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    If people are giving up on PCs for gaming consoles, Idiocracy is near.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I like money.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I thought this horse had been beaten dead a long time ago. Yet here it is getting kicked some more. Some one call animal abuse and/or PETA.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Don't call PETA, they'll shut us down and then firebomb the building.
  • edited October 2009
    PS3 and 360 are barely HD. I dont know of any games that run natively at 1080p. they run at 720p or lower. Halo3 was 640p (awfully close to 480p wii), and CoD4 was 600p. the consoles just upscale the images. like when your dvd player upscales standard def onto an HDTV.

if you already own a desktop (nearly all american households do), all you need is a video card. the radeon 4670 and 4650 are more powerful gpus than those on both the 360 or PS3. both consoles use gpus that are 2-3 generations old. both the 4670 and 4650 cards are under $70, and require no external power supply. they also will run games easily at 720p, up to 1680x1050. 360 and ps3 cant run games truly at 1080p, they just upscale 720p, or lower.
    If you really want any basic desktop pc to destroy and console, you can spend 150 for a GTX 260, or 130 for an HD4870, and $50 for a decent power supply, and you are set. Then 1080p is legitimately yours.

So, to summarize, if you already have a desktop that is less than 3 years old, PC gaming is ridiculously cheaper, and more powerful.
    Only if you have a laptop (which arent upgradeable), or no computer is the question even worth asking.

I recently helped my friend get a Dell 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, with 3 GB ram, and a 320 GB hard drive, with a Radeon 4670, for under $500. It is far more powerful graphically than either "HD" console, and is also a computer, on top of it.

and just so that no one can say i am a pc fanboy, i have every console and handheld this generation along with my gaming pc.
  • edited October 2009
    console gaming certainly is less of a headache, and you dont need to know anything about hardware. though console games do have many bugs, they are fewer and generally fixed more quickly than on the pc.
    that said, the article brings up the value of pc gaming vs consoles.
    of that, i think there is no question the pc wins, unless you dont care about resolution beyond 720p, dont care about jaggy lines and dont care about crappy textures in your games.

its true that you dont need a pc, but if you are part of the over %80 of american households that already has a pc, you dont just pretend it doesnt exist, and go buy a rip-off alienware. upgrading the pc you already have vs buying a new console has a serious price differential.
    edited October 2009
    blake wrote:
    PS3 and 360 are barely HD. I dont know of any games that run natively at 1080p.

Pixeljunk Monsters runs at 1080p, I'm pretty sure.

I love that game :D
    edited October 2009
    I want to meet the two people that own a PS3 and have absolutely no other computers, smartphones or PDAs in their household whatsoever.
    edited October 2009
    You won't meet them. They don't have computers, and thus don't get on the internet ;)
    edited October 2009
    Plus, I don't live in Crapalapastan.
  • edited October 2009
    sadly all those pc hardware facts don t change the fact that developers are for the most part focusing on console releases since a while now... Still good games to play on pc but not quite as much as before and for most AAA titles you need to have a console to play them.... I miss the good old times of pc gaming and certainly hope for a come back....
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Hmm... that's funny. I have seen a whopping 1 game in the past 2 years that was console exclusive that I actually gave a crap about. Louis, would you care to list some of the superb, game changing titles that are console only?
  • edited October 2009
    i love fire building,

my friend installed windows xp on his ps3
    edited October 2009
    Cool story, bro
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Now, now Prime that's no way to treat the guests.

BTW it was a very cool story.
  • edited May 2010
    okay, 1st of all, im not gonna be saying both pc and console have their good points and weakness. im jus gonna say pc kik ass when playing games. and about the point where pple can use ps3 for a bluray player, i jus dont buy that as saving money.a bluray disc is much more expensive per disc that a hd dvd. plus, u can olwez watch online.
    and dont give me that "its against the law look" i download games online, crack it, play it and its free. quoting my best enemy "whe every one is sin-ning, its a sin not doing it!!"
    finally, we know all those hardcore computer developer would jus one day get out of bed,brush their teeth, and make some kik ass graphic card or what ever they do,, its their routine! but consoles comes out like one at a time,(probably cuse they dont wanna lose money)..
    so my conclusion,, dont kid ursef,, jus admit computer can be make u save lotsa money..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    But, evidently, it cannot teach you to type like an intelligent human being.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    But, evidently, it cannot teach you to type like an intelligent human being.

I read a human, then I though, maybe a Gungan?

"Meesa, savesa mooey, mooey money withs mah gaming PC!!"

I suppose in any language, he is still correct.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    I read a human, then I though, maybe a Gungan?

"Meesa, savesa mooey, mooey money withs mah gaming PC!!"

I suppose in any language, he is still correct.

Correct how exactly? I mean it's not like console can't be chipped and have their games pirated also - oh heavens no....
    edited May 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Correct how exactly? I mean it's not like console can't be chipped and have their games pirated also - oh heavens no....

Oh, not that, I don't recomened anyone pirate anything. Just that PC's generaly kick ass :cool2:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    Oh, not that, I don't recomened anyone pirate anything. Just that PC's generaly kick ass :cool2:

Ooohhhhhhh that. Are PC's better then consoles generally. Yeah I have to agree generally they are. Is gaming better on a console though - absolutely :rockon:
    edited May 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Ooohhhhhhh that. Are PC's better then consoles generally. Yeah I have to agree generally they are. Is gaming better on a console though - absolutely :rockon:

I'm being trolled....

ackbar.jpg