Gaming Keyboard Roundup: Razer, OCZ, and Logitech

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech
Matt Jancaitis (Snarkasm) has put three gaming keyboards to the test.

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Shiny keyboards!
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited August 2008
    Snarky your write-up has gotten me all hyped up to buy an Alchemy Elixir. If this thing sucks after I buy it...its on your head.
  • edited August 2008
    Hmm.. got me thinking about getting a new board.

I like the OCZ macro buttons are arranged vertically as to cut the length down. :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    (So are the G15's)
  • edited September 2008
    Hmm. Why didn't I remember that ...

How about,

I like the OCZ macro buttons are arranged in such a way to cut down length. As in one column on each end of the board.
    edited September 2008
    (The G15 only has one column of keys)

Perhaps this is where I mention that the G15 is smaller in width than the Alchemy Elixir. It IS, however, taller, thanks to the GamePanel.
  • edited September 2008
    Ah, I still have the image of the earlier generation G15 in my head, where it has the 3 clusters of 6 buttons (right?) on one side.

I suppose it's quite obvious I didn't read the reviews thoroughly.
    edited September 2008
    ;)

Yes indeed, the former iteration had quite the load of keys. There are pictures of the board in the review and here.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited September 2008
    I'm surprised that Saitek's Cyborg Keyboard wasn't included in this...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Saitek didn't send us a review sample.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Their loss imho.
    edited September 2008
    I would be glad to write something up if they'd send one, though! ;)
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I have one of the 1st gen G15's with the 18 macro keys...
    The LCD is excellent, many games will load custom stuff on the panel, also nice to have FRAPS running on the LCD instead of flickering on the monitor.
    You really get used to the backlit keys, I'll always have a keyboard with it.
    Good review, I like the look of the 2nd gen G15.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I too have the 1st-gen G15, and I love it. best keyboard I ever owned.
    edited September 2008
    I too have the 1st-gen G15, and I love it. best keyboard I ever owned.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    maybe should throw in the G11 since it is only 50 bucks now nad still one of the best in my opinion
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Are the keys on the OCZ Elixer quiet?

I might get one.
    edited November 2008
    Not terribly quiet, no.
    edited November 2008
    I'm liking this one as well.

Spectre Gamer Keyboard KUT2
    edited November 2008
    Just a heads up: you can get the G15, whose recommendation I stand by, for $62 today. Just a small premium over your current choice for a lot of added value.

Note: I missed that that was a refurb, but there are similar deals for new ones here and here.
    edited November 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Just a heads up: you can get the G15, whose recommendation I stand by, for $62 today. Just a small premium over your current choice for a lot of added value.

Note: I missed that that was a refurb, but there are similar deals for new ones here and here.
    Oh thanks. Very nice.
  • edited July 2009
    I like the sound of this, the Alchemy Elixir keyboard could be exactly what I have been looking for.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    The Razer Lycosa is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. I think I bought this very close to around the time this article was published. It worked well for a few months, but has given me nothing but problems ever since. I tried to contact Razer's tech support about the issues I was having when it was still under warranty, but they were of little to no help.

The problem is that when then the "touch interface" gets anything on it, it starts to act up. This could be caused just by normal sweat and dirt from your hands, dust or moisture. The keyboard will be working fine one minute, then next thing you know there's a key stuck, or some adverse affect from the touch interface fucking up. It's not always easy to fix either. One would think that wiping off the touch interface with a dust-free cloth would work, but it doesn't. Sometimes you have to reset the keyboard by unplugging it and plugging it back in, but even that doesn't always work. Sometimes a complete reboot is what it takes and I swear to God, sometimes you just have to shelf the bitch for a while and deal with it later. Another problem I have is the keyboard lights won't stay on. They'll either go out on their own, or when it gets real bad, the keys start flickering like christmas tree lights. Sometimes when this happens, they keyboard will hesitate and screw up whatever you were typing.

It has been a nightmare. An $80 nightmare. Tech support won't do anything about it, because the keyboard isn't technically broken just because the touch interface is dirty. Also, what are they going to do? Replace it with another crappy keyboard?

While it may be a little too late, I don't recommend anyone ever buy this keyboard. EVER. I'm wondering though if any of you have had similar problems. To me it just seems like it was poorly designed. I would rather have normal buttons than the touch interface for media and volume controls.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    djmeph wrote:
    The Razer Lycosa is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. I think I bought this very close to around the time this article was published. It worked well for a few months, but has given me nothing but problems ever since. I tried to contact Razer's tech support about the issues I was having when it was still under warranty, but they were of little to no help.

The problem is that when then the "touch interface" gets anything on it, it starts to act up. This could be caused just by normal sweat and dirt from your hands, dust or moisture. The keyboard will be working fine one minute, then next thing you know there's a key stuck, or some adverse affect from the touch interface fucking up. It's not always easy to fix either. One would think that wiping off the touch interface with a dust-free cloth would work, but it doesn't. Sometimes you have to reset the keyboard by unplugging it and plugging it back in, but even that doesn't always work. Sometimes a complete reboot is what it takes and I swear to God, sometimes you just have to shelf the bitch for a while and deal with it later. Another problem I have is the keyboard lights won't stay on. They'll either go out on their own, or when it gets real bad, the keys start flickering like christmas tree lights. Sometimes when this happens, they keyboard will hesitate and screw up whatever you were typing.

It has been a nightmare. An $80 nightmare. Tech support won't do anything about it, because the keyboard isn't technically broken just because the touch interface is dirty. Also, what are they going to do? Replace it with another crappy keyboard?

While it may be a little too late, I don't recommend anyone ever buy this keyboard. EVER. I'm wondering though if any of you have had similar problems. To me it just seems like it was poorly designed. I would rather have normal buttons than the touch interface for media and volume controls.

I had a shopping dilemma a few months back, considering what I should do, buy an expensive keyboard laden with features I would never use, or buy an old school heavy duty mechanical keyset.

I went old school, and I am thrilled with my purchase. I'm not knocking gaming keyboards with extra features for macros and custom programs for different games and such, but honestly, I just don't use them. If I want to reprogram controls, I just do it in that particular games control panel. Keys that glow in the dark, not for $100+. I just wanted a keyset that would handle my constant abuses. Only problem is its loud when you type on it, which I love to be honest, but my wife can't stand it when she and I are in the same room together.
    edited October 2009
    I enjoy using the low-profile keys, they are even more comfortable than my laptop keys. My main reason buying the keyboard wasn't for the extra features, but for the light-up low-profile keys. Honestly this would have been a great keyboard if not for the poorly designed touch interface. I don't use the macros and I don't program keys, I'm not even much of a gamer. As I said, my main beef is with the touch interface and how it interferes with normal operation.

That being said, I'm in the market for a new keyboard. Based on my criteria, anyone have any suggestions?
  • edited October 2009
    djmeph wrote:
    I enjoy using the low-profile keys, they are even more comfortable than my laptop keys. My main reason buying the keyboard wasn't for the extra features, but for the light-up low-profile keys. Honestly this would have been a great keyboard if not for the poorly designed touch interface. I don't use the macros and I don't program keys, I'm not even much of a gamer. As I said, my main beef is with the touch interface and how it interferes with normal operation.

That being said, I'm in the market for a new keyboard. Based on my criteria, anyone have any suggestions?
    For a solid, functional, good looking KB, you can check this offering out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043&Tpk=logitech%20illuminated

It goes on sale quite often with an additiona $15-20 promo code, so keep an eye out and subscribe to Newegg if that price bothers you. I got mine for $40, its been as low as $35 in recent weeks AR. Rebate was pretty fast for me, came in about 6 weeks which is good for Logitech.

As for the KB, its tiny, low profile but very sturdy and deceptively heavy given its sleek appearance and tiny footprint. Has laser etched LED illuminated keys that aren't overly gaudy or flashy. Keys use those precision scissor mechanisms and low keystroke travel common in laptop keyboards, very similar to their Logitech DiNovo offerings.

Some problems I've read about include certain key blocking combos (very hit or miss, some claim problems with fast apostrophe combos, I had ctrl-A combo problems, some claim no problems at all. Could be a QA or firmware issue not sure. Also no USB ports on the KB itself, some also have complained about serious power draw on this KB to the point its not compatible with certain mobo.

As for gaming vs. non-gaming keyboards, my take on it is if you use the programmable functionality in games, they're great. If not, they're mostly overkill. :)
    edited October 2009
    All I know is that when my Logitech G15 v1 dies, I'm going to ebay to buy another.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Yeah that's kinda how I feel too. Old school G1 all the way.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    All I know is that when my Logitech G15 v1 dies, I'm going to ebay to buy another.

For me, the keys are too big. It looks really cool, and probably functions very well for a gamer, but I just like the way the keys on my laptop work and just want an extended version of that for when I'm hooked up to my docking station.
    edited October 2009
    This Logitech G15 is great. Thanks for the awesome review which helped made my choice.