Install Windows 7 from USB using Windows XP

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Fantastic, just clearing up my 32G stick.

Question, do you have a 'working' tutorial for a multi-boot XP+Vista+7+2003+2008 x32 and x64 "ultimate windows install USB stick?" :)

lx
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I do not have such a tutorial, but I have a decent idea as to how that might be accomplished. I'll look into it! Thanks, longxin! :)
  • edited September 2009
    I have tried this and 2 other ways to make a bootable usb for win 7 installation, but it never boots, it just stucks on the flashing _ . What can I do so I can finally install windows 7???
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks Robert. Look forward to seeing that Ultimate Windows Installer USB stick tutorial! :)

This works like a charm! thanks again.
    Lx
  • edited September 2009
    YES WORKED GREAT THANKS!
  • edited September 2009
    Oh this is helpful guide. Awesome. Thanks dude!
  • edited October 2009
    Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I followed it, but when I boot, I just get "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Media in selected Boot device and press a key." Now, I know that it detects it because the bios changed the name from "Removable Disk" to "Fanthom Drive" but it seems it still doesn't feel like booting. I did do the mbrwiz tool thing, so I got the bootsect. So I don't know what's going on :(
    edited October 2009
    This guide works perfectly on any computer capable of booting a USB stick. So either your PC is one of those PCs that can't, or you made a misstep somewhere. :(
  • edited October 2009
    Hi there!

I did whats on the tutorial and when i boot from the usb stick i get 'read disk error'. I've set the boot priority to usb and i even flashed the bios just to make sure. My system is a P4 2.4 , 1GB ram and the mobo MSI PT8 Neo-V.
    I can't figure out what the problem could be. Please help!

Thanks
  • edited October 2009
    Hello!

How is it going with the tutorial for a multi-boot XP+Vista+7+2003+2008 x32 and x64 "ultimate windows install USB stick?"
  • edited November 2009
    Hi there..

I followed all of the above steps but when I restart and after company logo there is a cursor flashing and nothing happenx(setup not starting..) :(
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    Guess I'm out of luck for doing this since I have a download version which is just an .exe file

maybe I'll have to wait for my backup disk so I'll have an ISO (unless the exe creates an ISO but I don't dare run it yet as I plan to keep my old drive on another system since it's a full install and I have a different license I can use for the upgrade version I got a sweet deal on)
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the link @Robert.

Looks like the .exe and two boxfiles, is an extractor program and does not have an iso in it.

I did get an ISO download after an email to customer service. Next step getting a hard drive and the USB ready.
  • edited December 2009
    I tried to install win7 with this guide but when I get to step 3 and try to use the command Z:\boot\bootsect /nt60 X: i get this message: the system cannot find the path specified. I write F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 G: , where F: is the place where i mounted the disk in daemon tools and G: is the place for my USB-stick... what do I do wrong?
  • edited December 2009
    TNX TO THE MAN/WOMAN/PEOPLE WHO POSTED THIS GUIDE, IT WORKS, NOW I HAVE WINDOWS 7 hahahaha!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    thanks a lot it was really helpfull but the bootsect command can be skipped check the othere sites for more procedures
  • edited January 2010
    i have managed to follow your steps and created a USB bootable disk.
    i am using WinXp.
    when i boot my comp with the USB, it states that the bootmgr was incorrect.
  • edited January 2010
    I tried but encountered various errors. After I try to set the drive/partition as active, windows will no longer allow me to use it, saying it isn't formatted, but it won't let me format it again either.

I used the HP software and it would allow me to format it as NTFS, and UltraISO burned it perfectly. I understand the free vs trial debate, but use what works!
  • Bvn
    edited March 2010
    TY
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    YW
  • edited March 2010
    it looks like you had windows Vista, would it work if i have windows XP?
  • edited March 2010
    Please reply to my email ivinio21@gmail.com i want to know if it works with windows xp pro. Thanks.
    edited March 2010
    It works on XP.
  • edited April 2010
    I have no boot menu on my laptop.
    And installation Windows 7 DVD was scratched.
    What i did was:
    1) download windows 7 installation ISO;
    2) unpack it on flash drive;
    3) boot from any installation CD/DVD (just to get close
    to command promt);
    4) format c:;
    5) copy contents of flash drive to c:;
    (xcopy f:*.* c:);
    6) reboot.
    The PC will boot from c: as it was some DVD and will actually install Windows on itself.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi there,

Just wanted to thank for this article. After following it windows 7 was up and running on my portable with in 25 mins. Formating my existing drive was taken care by win 7 during installation. Only driver I had to update was nVidia GForce.

Thanks,
    ak
  • edited June 2010
    here is a very simple way of doing that:

dd if=windows.iso of=/dev/usb

for windows users get dd from the net. All *nix osx should have it installed by default.
  • edited June 2010
    Using Windows XP SP3 x86. Trying to make bootable USB of Windows 7 x86. When I issue the MBRwiz /disk=# /active=1 command, I don't get the message "Partition successfully ACTIVE". I tried active=0 command, then retried active=1, but still not working. It doesn't boot after completing all steps. I have USB Boot capability in BIOS.
  • edited July 2010
    We need to first identify the flash disk, so start by running MBRWizard with the /list command: mbrwiz /list . After locating the flash drive, make note of the Disk # associated with the flash disk. Now, execute the following command, making sure the /disk=x variable corresponds to the flash disk #:

MBRWiz /Active=1 /Disk=x
  • edited July 2010
    But finally i get an Disk Read error...

MOBO: Asus MT2NPVMX
    Trascend 4GB USB