Happy First Birthday to Icrontic Gaming!

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Dixie Normous has fond memories of HL2 at ICLAN07.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    remember that time i rubbed your scalp while you played Bloons? that was awesome.

or maybe that other time i won at Puerto Rico at EPIC 09? also awesome.

or how about i registered for this site because i joined the Icrontic WoW guild?
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    You actually all thought I was a 9 year old boy, heh.
  • AmpersandAmpersand North Dakota
    edited November 2009
    One year eh? Seems to me it was about a year ago when prime first seduced me into his team fortress 2 server with promises of pick-a-nick baskets and home made ice cream. Since then his pillow talk whispers have convinced me to start lurking the forum and website, heck i might even get above fifty posts before the world ends in 2012.

Don't let your age go to your head icrontic gaming, you've still got fifteen years before you can pick me up in your mustang to take me to make-out point.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember at EPIC '09 when Jimmy had faith in me and chose me for his TF2 team. Then I played Heavy and we mowed bitches down. And we won.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember my first LAN party: I took my Macintosh Performa 6200CD over to my friend hpence's house and hooked it up on the floor of his room to his Power Macintosh... 6400 I think? No switches or routers, just a LocalTalk null-modem cable going from Printer port to Printer port. We played Descent and I got my ass kicked.

-drasnor :fold:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The other day at work I joined a TF2 server. Just some random pub mid day because our server was empty. It was terrible. Mic spamming, spawn camping, terrible sprays, with server messages popping up saying "Don't be a fag, donate and play here. All other servers are gay!" every minute.

No singing our way to victory, no fun banter with friends and new acquaintances, no playing just to enjoy the game.

There's a reason TF2 has remained popular with our community. It's not the free updates and evolving gameplay; it's because of our Community. We keep it FUN. I'd hate to be a player without a group as fun as us.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    It still brings a tear to my eye thinking of the hours I spent in MW3, MechWarrior the only game that deserves the MW, jump jetting just over hills to launch 60 LRMs at some loser before I flanked him to snipe off his leg with my last PPC round. Those were a simpler times of alpha strikes, coolant flushes, and circle strafes full of pulse lasers. I love you MW and you will always have my heart and my first online gaming experience.

BUT, I have also fallen head over heels for IC and the family that has brought me in from the cold to teach me their ways. Its been a long time since I have felt so at home with an online community and I love every single one of you for it. Except Ampersand because he got scared when I wanted to come spend Spring Break with him.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    BuddyJ, kissing ass does not improve your chances of winning.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    BuddyJ, kissing ass does not improve your chances of winning.

Not the way he does it, at least. ;)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I motion to have Ampersand removed from the contest. He has an unfair advantage of being Brian's mistress. :p
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Oh Lord, Annes reminded me of the pure thrill of TF2 victory at LAN 08. Screams erupting after matches - forlorn from the losers, and exuberant from the victors. They were simpler, purer times, made wonderful and intense by the presence of friends and the spark of friendly competition.

God damn, that was one fantastic contest.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The best comment I can offer is this blog

Honestly, Icrontic's Epic Lan was the gaming highlight of my 2009. Hell, even a couple guys walked up and said "hey, you did not suck as bad as we thought you would". Seriously though, amazing event, to coordinate that all in a fairly modest backyard space took a hell of allot of effort, and sitting up till 4AM together that one night after the tent cleared entirely worth it. Good times.
  • edited November 2009
    I'll share another memory in a bit, but I first want to echo what Snarky said. TF2 at both IC LANs (that I've attended) has been the most intense TF2 I've experienced. Specific example: Expo 2009, 2 to 2 on 2Fort, the silence and intensity of both teams followed by the most ruckus yelling and hollering when the final capture happened. Glorious battles.

Also, I want to recall the first time I ever gamed with IC. Lynx and I knew nothing of IC at the time. We were playing TF2 together, and UPSHitman wanted Lynx to play with him because "i just found this server and these guys are awesome". Alas IC TF2 was full and after waiting a while we tried to get him to switch servers to play with us, to which he responded "no no, I'll get these guys to kick spots for you". So here I am thinking "Who are these people that they'd kick to make room for people they don't even know..wtf??"

After a night of amazing gaming, we discovered Icrontic.com. Two expos, an ICOK, and now many Minds of UPSLynx later, here we are. It's been amazing. Thanks to all of you.

Also, props to everyone that's contributed content and made gaming.icrontic what is over this first year. Content is king.
    edited November 2009
    I used to trade pirated copies of Apple ][ games with friends. Ah, Captain Goodnight and the Islands of Fear, how I miss thee.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Gaming has always been an interesting part of Icrontic. Hell, the biggest thing to happen to the original IC was the FDLE raid on Mortin's house, all thanks to Counter-Strike and inept server administration. Who knew posting an official mirror of a new CS release could land you in jail?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I had been playing TF2 for a few weeks when I saw this discussion started by keebler. Before this I was little more than a friend of a friend who was involved in Icrontic. Little more than a lurker.

I meekly sent a request to primesuspect to get into the the Icrontic steam group. Prime of course accepted and we played many a glorious match on dustbowl and gravelpit. Since then I can't imagine life without Icrontic, except that it would include much less win.

There is one thing that I remember about our first few games together. While playing with fellow Icrontians I was using the {fxl} clan tag while rocket jumping people's faces off. Just a few days later, MYSTERIOUSLY, the Icrontic clan tag is agreed to be {IC}.

Coincidence? I think not. ;D
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Best gaming times I remember, besides some of our many awesome nights of tf2, were back in the dorms. Staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning pretty much nightly. Yelling down the halls, discussing CoH matches afterwards. Ahh, good times.

Long live orange! :birthday:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Back when many of you guys were in grade school... I remember SM-LAN'03 when we had a 3 or 4 hour bombing run in UT2K4...

Or the sitting down in front of Papa Prime at his other house listening to the history of Icrontic/ Short-Media...

Or when this British Guy called Prime and asked to speak to me... it was Shorty calling from the UK.

Or when the grand prize drawing was the SM-LAN'03 Gaming Server... and I won it.

Flash Forward to 2004... I remember bringing my wife and 12 year old daughter to Prime's house to let my family meet my Icrontic Family.

Or, back in 2007, when we all showed up at OHP with Prime and Shorty... and we pulled off our shirts to show off our Prime and Shorty Family Reunion t-shirts. Or the snuggling with Prime...

Oh so many more memories in the 8 years I've been with Icrontic/Short-Media/Icrontic.
    edited November 2009
    Oh and yes Jackie we thought you were a 9-year old just like everything thought I was ratard.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I still think you're a nine year old boy, Jackie.
    edited November 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    It still brings a tear to my eye thinking of the hours I spent in MW3, MechWarrior the only game that deserves the MW, jump jetting just over hills to launch 60 LRMs at some loser before I flanked him to snipe off his leg with my last PPC round. Those were a simpler times of alpha strikes, coolant flushes, and circle strafes full of pulse lasers. I love you MW and you will always have my heart and my first online gaming experience.

BUT, I have also fallen head over heels for IC and the family that has brought me in from the cold to teach me their ways. Its been a long time since I have felt so at home with an online community and I love every single one of you for it. Except Ampersand because he got scared when I wanted to come spend Spring Break with him.

You're not coming anymore?
    :C
    edited November 2009
    You told me to meet you at Cola's place so we could hang out with BagFoot! I just wanted to hit up the roller disco so we could tandem spin the night away.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Annes wrote:
    I remember at EPIC '09 when Jimmy had faith in me and chose me for his TF2 team. Then I played Heavy and we mowed bitches down. And we won.

First rule for if you want to be on the winning team at EPIC 2010. Have Jimmy pick you to be on his team.

It doesn't matter what game it is, you're probably going to win. (unless it's the duct tape challenge :p)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Winfrey wrote:
    First rule for if you want to be on the winning team at EPIC 2010. Have Jimmy pick you to be on his team.

It doesn't matter what game it is, you're probably going to win. (unless it's the duct tape challenge :p)

Traditions have been started. I win gaming challenges (save Left4Fail) and I get disqualified in the duct tape challenge. They will continue with EPIC10.

On that note, who wants to be on my duct tape challenge team :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (:sad2:)
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember the first time I met Prime, it was when Keebler (heretofore referred to as Lincoln) and I were headed to Canada for Spring Break.

I must say it was great to meet someone who would become a great friend from day one.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I fondly remember teaching Prime's kids to say "tits or gtfo" in TF2. Good times. Good times.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Best gaming times I remember, besides some of our many awesome nights of tf2, were back in the dorms. Staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning pretty much nightly. Yelling down the halls, discussing CoH matches afterwards. Ahh, good times.

Long live orange! :birthday:

Agreed. The late nights of FEAR were epic as well. Walking down the halls ,back to my room, with no-one awake, hardly a sound. Creepy is the only word to describe it.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember the many great nights I spent playing TF2 with all you guys. I remember all your cries of anger and rage as I backstabbed you, showing no mercy.

I also remember the prize drawing at the 08 LAN. I won 4 gigs of amazing OCZ RAM.
    edited November 2009
    This could be us _k_, this could be US!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEeH3xozXc