Asus, Toshiba, Sony best Apple in laptop reliability

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I'm really surprised by the Lenovo number, their build quality always seemed decent. Frankly from my experience, I did not think anyone could do worse than Acer but there is Gateway and HP bringing up the rear.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Kinda sad that a failure rate of 15% is the best there is to offer.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Moral of the story: buy the three-year warranty.

-drasnor :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    ^ yeah, what he said!!! :-D
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    Laptops have always had higher fail rates than desktops, but I'm actually surprised by those numbers. Even the best company still has 15% of its laptops fail by the third year... yeesh.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    The 15% failure rate is a shock to me too. I wonder if the high failure rate is due to abuse from transportation and/or accidents.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Or people not dusting, jostling while running, etc.

I'm also fairly surprised at the Lenovo numbers, but maybe the non-Thinkpad line is dragging them down. Food for thought.
    edited November 2009
    There was in interesting divide in the official report that showed Netbooks had the highest failure rate with Premium laptops having the lowest. I would like to see the raw data since the ^chart is a composite of all laptops premium, entry-level and netbooks (netbooks defined in the study as sub-$400 laptops). I want to see the data on how the premium laptops compare by manufacture. Comparing the low-end with the high-end is skewing the data.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Not necessarily. Given that all Apple produces is premium notebooks, you'd expect their failure rates to be lower, but they aren't, even when other manufacturers' figures are being "diluted" by "economy" models with a higher failure rate.
    edited November 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Not necessarily. Given that all Apple produces is premium notebooks

Apple has a divide in their laptops between the Macbook and the MackbookPro; there was a divide in the older line between the iBook and the MacBook.

The study considered the divide based on price, under $400 was netbooks, $400-$1000 was entry-level, and $1000+ was premium.

The study said that netbooks fail 25.1% in 3-years, Entry-level was 20.6% and premium was 18.1%

I want to see the manufacture brake down for these groupings. the only manufacture grouping is misleading.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'd be interested to see this paired with the repair / replacement prices & policies from manufacturers—and what constitutes a malfunction.

I'm admittedly a Mac fan, and I (or an employer) have repeatedly dropped $300 on AppleCare that later came in handy for no-questions-asked replacement of everything but complete destruction by water damage on laptops. (Usually hard drive failures and screen breaks, because I can't have nice things.)

I haven't really looked into other companies in long awhile, so I'll admit ignorance and welcome enlightenment on that score.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Warning - anecdotal information:

I've been very, very pleased with the build quality and ergonomics of my Toshiba Satellite 355~. For that non-quantifiable "user experience" factor, this is clearly the nicest laptop I've ever used. (Still wish I could find a current generation Thinkpad that's within my budget.) For what it's worth, I just upgraded the Toshiba's OS from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64. It was so easy. I didn't have to do anything other than run the Win7 DVD and go to Windows Updates. I didn't even have to go to the Toshiba support pages. Awesome.
  • edited May 2010
    I've had four apple laptops going back atleast 10 years. I'm on the fifth now with a MacBook Pro 13" that I just bought. Of the past four, the two most recent still work. The first two I just quit using because of need for battery replacement and internal battery replacement. Also the fact that I liked moving forward with the speed upgrades over the years. I wonder how many of those macs in the list are from batteries that are just done and needing to be replaced. To get the batteries replaced in my first two, I have to pay a pretty penny to send them in for the job to be done. The batteries for those old laptops aren't available from the Apple store for self replacement. But I don't think that counts for failure. And I'd stand by any mac over a PC for the fact that whether it's internals are the same or not, they have more quality attention I think because I've had more friends replacing internal hard drives and internal power supplies often on their PCs but on my macs, I can still boot up my Mac Classic, my Mac SE, PowerMac 6100 and 7200, the performa was a piece of crap (lol), and the G3 and G4 still run. The last G4 imac is still fine and I gave that to my mother for a replacement for her old mac that was still working fine. I don't know ONE SINGLE person who can say the same for any PC they ever owned.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Your experiences with a handful of systems completely discredits this scientific study! Praise be to Steve Jobs and his 100% reliable, never breaks down machines.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    wiifan wrote:
    I don't know ONE SINGLE person who can say the same for any PC they ever owned.

You don't know me.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Or me.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    wiifan wrote:
    I don't know ONE SINGLE person who can say the same for any PC they ever owned.
    I have a 286 that still runs perfectly. Last I checked, that predates any Mac system by at least two years.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I broke my 8088 laptop last year when I accidentally touched it while holding a static charge.
    ErrorNullTurnip
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You know me. You love me. I'm Old Gregg!