USB to Parallel Printer Cable fails to work on some systems

photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
edited November 2009 in Hardware
I got a free Sabrent|SBT-UPPC USB to Parallel 6-Foot Printer Cable from a guy who said it didn't work. I plugged it into my system and it worked flawlessly. That is until I upgraded my motherboard, now the cable will not identify and shows up as an unknown device. In case the cable was bad I tried it on another system and again it's working just fine.

I have tried removing the device from device manager and reconnecting as per manufacture directions, no success.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited November 2009
    So you're the second person who's had trouble making it work?

Add a serial port card to your desktop. We're talking $20 and 15 minutes of work. Done.
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, sounds like your device (the cable) is just flaky.

Out of curiosity what is the hardware ID of the unknown device? From Device Manager, device properties, details tab. Also what does it say on the general tab? And what version of Windows is it?
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    32bit-Vista ultimate...the Hardware ID, comes in as UNKNOWN
    I have 64bit win7pro I'm prepping to add to the system, But I wanted to try to fix this among a few other things before making the switch.

The other system the cable works on is 32bit-Vista Home Premium and the Id's are USB\VID_1A86&PID_7584&REV_0252 and USB\VID_1A86&PID_7584

The other Guy, that it didn't work for, was on a 64bit-Vista Home Premium system.

(I agree Sabrent is a flaky cable manufacture, )

My motherboard has support for COMM and LPT, I just need to order the cables for the board and spend 5 minutes to install them.

The only connection I can make is the system it works on is an Nvidia chipset, Where my other system is an ATI chipset, and my old Motherboard that the cable worked on was an Nvidia chipset. I'm not sure what the other guy's chipset was but I'll look into it.
    For the moment Nvidia 2 for 2 | ATI 0 for 1.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd put Win7 on first and then work on fixing the problem if it persists.
    edited November 2009
    propedor wrote:
    I'd put Win7 on first and then work on fixing the problem if it persists.

Tested with 64bit-Win7.....Fail

I'll look into the other system that the cable failed on to see what chipset it has, I'll also check a few other systems I have that have ATI, nvidia or Intel chipsets to see if there is a consistent issue with the cable on non nvidia chipset systems.
    edited November 2009
    Confirmed, the other guy's system that the cable failed on is an ATI chipset.

I'll see if I can check if the cable fails on Intel chipsets or other ATI chipsets.

I find it a little odd though that there is a consistency in the failure on systems with ATI chipsets and a consistent working on systems with Nvidia chipsets.

Nvidia 2 for 2 | ATI 0 for 2