An open letter to George R. R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire books

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    WRITE THE FUCKING BOOK.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Please George... Please finish the damned books.
  • edited November 2009
    GRRRRR GIMME BOOK, MARTIN! Also....hai dem's sum neat drawrinz!!! @_@ Just sayin'. :)
  • MaxenWMaxenW California
    edited November 2009
    OOooo who is doing all your sexy new arts!! and Dammit George, stop making dragons and finish the book!
    edited November 2009
    Cheers to the artist. It's perfect. ;)
  • CharshieCharshie Hollywood, California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    ^_^ Yay useful! Also look Rob, I recruited a Brian!!!! *POINTS AT MAXEN*
    edited November 2009
    A WILD BRIAN HAS APPEARED.
  • MaxenWMaxenW California
    edited November 2009
    Rawr? I kinda like this avatar that it gave me as default.. I feel very operation ivy.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Dearest George- FINISH THE GODDAMN BOOKS FFFUUUUUUUUUUU- Love, Jacqueline
    edited November 2009
    Yes, Charshie did the artwork, and it is fucking awesome. The artwork is better than Dance with Dragons. You know why?

BECAUSE SHE FUCKING FINISHED IT
  • edited November 2009
    The book that follows a Dance with Dragons should close the series... Tolkien taught much about epic fantasy, but it seems many authors (Jordan comes to mind) missed the bit about closure. That always leaves the option for reopening a series or history or world a la Le Guin.

Oh yeah, write the damn book. It was preordered as a gift by my sister a year ago!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The Khaos who disappeared from IRC, Twitter, and the forum months ago? That Khaos? :p
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE ALLCAPS.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited November 2009
    I THINK THAT CAN BE ARRANGED
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    the wikipedia page said there were THREE more projected novels. i had originally thought that A Dance With Dragons would finish it out, but perhaps not? not that speculating about it is anything more than masturbation, it's not like Dance will be done any time in the foreseeable future.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Are you saying that if you masturbate you won't be done in the foreseeable future?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    So what I'm getting out of this is that I shouldn't start reading the series unless I want to become an enraged shell of my former self.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Patty, I hate to break this to ya, but the dude had better hurry up. What would C-3PO figure the odds are that a sixty something obese man will finish three more novels before the Grimm Reaper demands his toll? Navigating an asteroid field may be more likely?
    edited November 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    So what I'm getting out of this is that I shouldn't start reading the series unless I want to become an enraged shell of my former self.

don't do it. do not to that to yourself.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Hooray for english!
    edited November 2009
    Patty, I hate to break this to ya, but the dude had better hurry up. What would C-3PO figure the odds are that a sixty something obese man will finish three more novels before the Grimm Reaper demands his toll? Navigating an asteroid field may be more likely?

I KNOW. i wouldn't be surprised if he up and croaked in the near future. probably from a lane crash from jetting around the world following the progress of the pilot episode, rather than staying at home and writing.

and then, if he dies, some other author will try and finish it and it just won't be the same. because it will be finished.
  • edited December 2009
    dear george, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO DANNY, ARYA AND JON.

FINISH THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    I'm afraid it is a deliberate delay. Doesn't it sound odd that the second part of a book that was getting too big to be one volume is delayed for years? I mean much of Dance must already have been written at the time of the decision to split the book and release Feast? For some reason, maybe for the sake of the series, everything is now delayed??
  • edited December 2009
    st agree with PATTY I will never buy an other series unless you can prove that it is complete. If you ever decide to finish Dance with Dragons .I will wait untill I can find it for free at the libary. Tnen I might just read the blank thing
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I'm just starting the book series. I play the Game of Thrones collectible card game with my friends (and ironically enough, neighbors). Just ran next door and taped that artwork up on their entryway door with a subtitle "GEORGE RR MARTIN - hard at work..." Maybe they'll get a few laughs about it.

Either way. I hope he pulls through.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm waiting for:
    Robert Jordan's Corpse to finish the Wheel of Time
    David Gerrold to finish The War Against the Cthorr
    George R. R. Martin to finish A Song of Ice and Fire

I think the measure of a really good epic series is not just sales, but the fact that we do wait, checking in every few months or weeks to see whether there's an update.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    I've yet to read Robert Jordan's books, though I'll start them in a week or so when I can pick up a few more Audible credits but after just finishing the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson I can assure you that the final Wheel of Time books are in extraordinary hands. Sanderson's Mistborn are among the best fantasy I've ever read and are matched only by Tolkien and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series in my opinion.
    edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I've yet to read Robert Jordan's books, though I'll start them in a week or so when I can pick up a few more Audible credits but after just finishing the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson I can assure you that the final Wheel of Time books are in extraordinary hands. Sanderson's Mistborn are among the best fantasy I've ever read and are matched only by Tolkien and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series in my opinion.

you really think so? i read the first Mistborn book and while i liked the premise and the general storyline, i didn't enjoy the authors style all that much. it bothered me enough that i didn't pick up the next book in the series, but not enough to stop reading the first one.

i should say that i read a good 150-200 pages of the first Wheel of Time book and quit. it wasn't interesting to me at ALL.

right now, though, i'm reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson and i'm enjoying it so far. i'll probably read it twice just to get everything, but i LOVE Stephenson and reading anything of his more than once is a given for me. just sayin', he finished his Baroque Cycle with no problem and moved on to different projects.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    poofie wrote:
    you really think so? i read the first Mistborn book and while i liked the premise and the general storyline, i didn't enjoy the authors style all that much. it bothered me enough that i didn't pick up the next book in the series, but not enough to stop reading the first one.

I really do, I love his writing style and I really enjoyed the story, I'm not sure I can really describe what I found so compelling about it though. I think the universe he created is one of the more unique ones written and I always enjoy a good fantasy that manages to borrow nothing from Tolkien.

It also probably helps that I listened to it and the narrator was one of the best I've heard, a narrator can make or break a book.

As for Wheel of Time, I got about that far into the first book a few years ago too, I liked it but reading the series seemed daunting, I'm going to finally cave and commit to it.

Anathem is very high on my too read list. I've been meaning to read Stephenson for a long time now.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Reader wrote:
    I'm waiting for:
    Robert Jordan's Corpse to finish the Wheel of Time
    David Gerrold to finish The War Against the Cthorr
    George R. R. Martin to finish A Song of Ice and Fire
    I think the measure of a really good epic series is not just sales, but the fact that we do wait, checking in every few months or weeks to see whether there's an update.

Concur with IC's generic Reader here...great series all, but WTF?! The measure of a really good epic series is FINISHING THE DAMN SERIES. Imagine LOTR without Return of the King, Dune without Chapterhouse Dune, or Seuss without Oh, the Places You'll Go! Banish the thoughts!

All those authors above have written interesting characters, created intriguing worlds, and enticed me to return at each book. Yet I still have literary "blue balls"!:shakehead

I just got back into the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Series, finished the first trilogy, started the second trilogy, only to realize AGAIN there is a "last" trilogy with two unfinished books...FRICK.

For those interested, it's epic fantasy with magic, warrior monks, giants, amazing creatures, and a leper protagonist anti-hero...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Covenant