Slipstreaming Windows XP

13»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I need SATA drivers for my laptop, but cannot find them in the inf format.

IBM Thinkpad X61
    Intel’s GM965 Express chipset

Does anyone know where to find these?
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the link, Jared!
  • edited December 2009
    Am I safe in assuming (I know what that usually means) that the SP3 download is the same for XP Home as well as XP Pro? From everything I've researched it appears to be the case but would like to be sure. Thanks in advance!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    That is a safe assumption. :)
  • edited January 2010
    This guide is great! I've been looking into slipstreaming for awhile and have found mixed reviews on the process and difficulty...most complaining about many "coasters" as a result...burning my first compilation -- will report back!
  • edited March 2010
    Hi -
    First of all, thanks for this site. I'm hoping it will help me when I replace my faulty IDE hdd with a SATA hdd. My mobo is a Gigabyte (GA-7DX rev4.1) and I'd be surprised if it supports SATA, so I plan to use an IDE-SATA adapter. If the mobo is also faulty, then I have the hdd to use in a new build. So my first question to you is this: will I still need the SATA drivers for Win XP to recognise my hdd?
    My second question: If I have .NET Framework 1.2, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, and also .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 already installed, do I still need to install .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (as advised on page 1 of your instructions)?
    Thank you for considering these questions.
  • edited January 2011
    i didnt know my southbridge but i did find a great free program that told me everything i needed to know, i want to share it if thats ok,, havent tried to do the slipstream yet, got stumped on which amd southbridge i had,, i have ati sb600,, so now i know which to choose.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  • edited March 2011
    I thank you first off for the great info advised. My question is in regards to the SATA drivers. I have a biostar MB and the Southbridge is Via. I cant seem to find the drivers. I found the hyperion pro 4 n 1 but, which is the correct .inf file and do I need more than one file? TIA
  • edited June 2011
    I was fine until you mentioned 1C: Lastly, prepare a directory structure as seen in figure 1-1:

Fig. 1-1: Choose an empty folder and create these directories inside of it.

then i was lost
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    1) create a new folder (call it "WinSlip" for kicks)
    2) create new folders according to figure 1-1 inside the new folder you created in step 1
  • edited June 2011
    Invaluable info. Thanks for being here. My question is: will this all work on WN XP 64 bit?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    jeff wrote:
    Invaluable info. Thanks for being here. My question is: will this all work on WN XP 64 bit?

I'm not authoritative as I moved on past XP a long time ago, but I think so.
  • Thankks for this great step by step guide! I want to try it but I cannot get the SATA drivers from your link. Please recommend another link.
    Many thanks!
  • Hi!
    I finally got the drivers and followed your guide. Before installing Windows I changed BIOS settings to AHCI. The installation was good and Windows is operating in AHCI mode.
    What puzzles me is that in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there is no mention of Serial ATA - only primary and secondary IDE and standard dual channel PCI IDE controllers.
    I have located the slipstreamed drivers in Windows/NLDRV/001. Am I getting the most out of my SATA drive? Is the controller installed?
    Thank you.