Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5: The Rise of The Pirate God review

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    ""If you haven’t yet checked out Tales of Monkey Island, you should""

I have, and it sucks. Point and click is a painfully dated genre. It holds nothing of value for the current gaming landscape. It is slow, it is boring, its only value is to promote nostalgia and insult the players intelligence with inane puzzles. If I wanted to do that I would just fire up the emulator and play the old titles.

Don't get me wrong, point and click once had a place in my heart. I loved Maniac Mansion and to this day defend it as one of the most unappreciated titles of its time. I played Myst, enjoyed it at the time. Today though, after tasting the sweet nectar of innovation, it is impossible for me to go back to a lazy, poorly implemented gameplay model that only existed because of the technological limitations of the time.

Perhaps for their next trick, they will revive Zork text adventures?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    There might be some good money in that. I knew quite a few people in college that enjoyed MUDing.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I would absolutely love for someone to revive Zork with modern graphics and music.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Board gaming is a painfully dated genre. It holds nothing of value for the current gaming landscape. It is slow, it is boring, its only value is to promote nostalgia and insult the players intelligence with inane puzzles. If I wanted to do that I would just bust out Chutes and Ladders and play the old titles.

Don't get me wrong, board gaming once had a place in my heart. I loved chess and to this day defend it as one of the most unappreciated titles of its time. I played checkers, enjoyed it at the time. Today though, after tasting the sweet nectar of innovation, it is impossible for me to go back to a lazy, poorly implemented gameplay model that only existed because of the technological limitations of the time.

Some people like puzzle games, like thinking about their next move, like figuring out something clever. Perhaps the problem is players' attention spans or mental capacity and not with game models that have served billions of players for ages.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    I love puzzle games of this nature. But I actually agree with Cliff in this one Monkey Island was great fun, originally. Playing through it now feels dated and quiet painful. There are simply better games a similar nature that create a more seemless experience and more interesting puzzles. For example the Professor Layton series on the NDS is similar but far superior.

Monkey island is only fit for nostalgia. It's interesting for what it was, not what it is. In the same way that games like Leather Goddess of Phobos is no longer relevant.