Reformat a Dell with no backup XP CD?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Wow thanks Esso and Daddy, I'll get on it and see if it works. I'll get back to you to you and tell you if it works.
  • edited May 2008
    i have the same problem as Tim on page 1 a dimension that needs help with no cds, it has a second back up partition and i made it active, tried to boot ....now it says NTLDR is missing any ideas? :-s do i need an xp cd? if yes when i install it will it delete the second partition?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Search the forums for "NTDLR Missing". You'll find it to be a wealth of knowledge.
  • GhandiGhandi Warrington
    edited September 2009
    Hello all,

May 2008 hey? I'm reserfacing an old thread here I know.

I have been put forward to fix a DELL Inspiron 3100 computer for one of the bosses at my workplace, the problem is I have jumped the gun and deleted the boot partition. Being a DELL machine it wont accept any installation disc other than the correct OEM disc. My options are:

(1) Install using a copy of the OEM disc, as suggested by DELL technical support,
    which is unsurprising considering they want to charge us £60 for said disc or,
    (2) Or somehow recover the boot partition, using ghost.

So I'm asking for any of two thing I guess, does anybody happen to have the necessary installation disc or boot partition they can make an image of for the required model?

-Ghandi
  • edited December 2009
    I completely re-formated my Dell with a disk from Western Digital. It was my Dad's and he doesn't remember where he got it. I've used it several times. It totally wipes the hard drive, and gives you partition options if you need them. It's quick. I insert it, select to reformat, select main drive, a few more clicks because it makes sure you want to wipe the drive, then it wipes the drive clean. I then re-install windows, and move on. Google Western Digital and see if you can get the disk. Super handy and kills every virus. I reformat every once in a while just for house cleaning.
  • lulululu texas
    edited September 2010
    mtrox wrote:
    Tim,

I hate to tell you but there's been a huge misunderstanding here. When we were talking about System Restore, we didn't mean that System Restore. The one with the dates is the one built into Windows. A lot of spyware will screw with that one. We were talking about the one that wipes out your hard drive and starts over. I took this from the Dell web site.

DellRestore.jpg

hey tim? does this also restore all your drivers once you do this? or will i have to restore all my drivers back? I forgot what my lap top was, windows vists i know, lap top, got it last year
  • lulululu texas
    edited September 2010
    mtrox wrote:
    Tim,

I hate to tell you but there's been a huge misunderstanding here. When we were talking about System Restore, we didn't mean that System Restore. The one with the dates is the one built into Windows. A lot of spyware will screw with that one. We were talking about the one that wipes out your hard drive and starts over. I took this from the Dell web site.

DellRestore.jpg
    i said tim, i meant this message for any one actually