Bourbon vs. Vodka...

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Food & Drink
... or, proof that some scientists have too much free time on their hands. A new study shows that Bourbon gives you a worse hangover than vodka.

TO SCIENCE!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    This is very timely....
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    ... or, proof that some scientists have too much free time on their hands. A new study shows that Bourbon gives you a worse hangover than vodka.

TO SCIENCE!
    Neither gives me a hangover.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Screw both of them, give me some SAILOR JERRY!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I've never had a hangover from either, and I've gone through an entire 5th of Bourbon in a night before.

Now beer, yeah I can get a hangover there.
  • Romad317Romad317 Member
    edited December 2009
    Ah...youngsters. After 30 years of hard drinkin', I concur; clear spirits will always leave less of an morning after than darker spirits. Stick with good grain alcohol.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Beer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Beer.

LIQUID COCAINE SHOTS?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Romad317 wrote:
    Ah...youngsters. After 30 years of hard drinkin', I concur; clear spirits will always leave less of an morning after than darker spirits. Stick with good grain alcohol.
    I didn't get a hangover from drinking for quite a while. Then one night I went way overboard on the Sailor Jerry (drank about a fifth and a half or so). The next morning I had my first hangover ever. Since then I've had to be somewhat responsible with my drinking or suffer the headache and nausea the next morning.
    edited December 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    LIQUID COCAINE SHOTS?

You shut your dirty whore mouth.
  • edited December 2009
    How about a new thread entitled "Bourbon vs. Scotch," in which Scotch wins every time?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    That's a terrible idea. I'd be a lie.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2009
    How about a new thread entitled "Bourbon vs. Scotch," in which Scotch wins every time?

only time bourbon wins is mixed with coke
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Mixing bourbon with coke is a waste of bourbon. Why ruin something so perfect?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    Mixing bourbon with coke is a waste of bourbon. Why ruin something so perfect?

because its not perfect :)
    edited December 2009
    Beer.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    if you're gonna get so drunk on something you give yourself a hangover in the morning, you may as well waste your time drinking vodka. also, i assume that the people in the study were drinking their respective boozes straight, which hardly ever happens with vodka. more likely you'll drink vodka in some mixed drink or another, adding a bunch of sugar, which i believe i read somewhere that drinking lots of sugar with your alcohol gives you a worse hangover.
    edited December 2009
    This is why you make sure to make yourself a proper screwdriver with real, unsweetened orange juice. That or some nice vodka and cranberry (once again, with proper cranberry juice that isn't spiked with high fructose corn syrup).
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    This is why you make sure to make yourself a proper screwdriver with real, unsweetened orange juice. That or some nice vodka and cranberry (once again, with proper cranberry juice that isn't spiked with high fructose corn syrup).

even natural orange juice or cranberry juice without added sugar still has an assload of sugar in it.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    poofie wrote:
    even natural orange juice or cranberry juice without added sugar still has an assload of sugar in it.

Yup, which is why I can't really drink either of them. I suppose I'm healthier for not having hardly any sugar anymore, but I do really miss things like juice now and then.

That being said:

A good vodka is a great thing. A good bourbon (hell, a good whiskey, period) is a much better thing.

If you're going to mix with Coke, don't use a top-shelf whiskey, as you waste a lot of the complexities in the flavor that make it a good whiskey to begin with.

On the other hand, using a good vodka in a mixed drink can make all the difference in the world with taste, as rubbing-alcohol vodka can really ruin a drink.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    A good vodka is a great thing. A good bourbon (hell, a good whiskey, period) is a much better thing.

If you're going to mix with Coke, don't use a top-shelf whiskey, as you waste a lot of the complexities in the flavor that make it a good whiskey to begin with.

On the other hand, using a good vodka in a mixed drink can make all the difference in the world with taste, as rubbing-alcohol vodka can really ruin a drink.

You nailed it.
    edited December 2009
    shazam!

25p7329.jpg6
    edited December 2009
    Just to balance out poofie, I think I'm going to purchase a bottle of Grey Goose in order to toast my new house.
    edited December 2009
    i'm sorry, unless your vodka is 126 proof it's not going to balance it out.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    He'll just drink 1.575 times as much.
    edited December 2009
    Feh... unless I'm trying to get trashed I don't care about proof. I'll take a good vodka over a good bourbon or whiskey any day. Hell the only whiskey I've tried that I can stand is Jameson anyway.
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Hell the only whiskey I've tried that I can stand is Jameson anyway.

i question your taste.
    edited December 2009
    I've never had the money to be able to waste on anything more expensive than that which I might hate anyway.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    Poor lad doesn't know what he's missing.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Haig and Haig 12 yo in the pinch bottle.. oy the memories.
    edited December 2009
    Beer.