Dead 8800 GTX scienced to undeath by oven, mad owner

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Bobby, this is currently circulating around my office. We are now deciding whether to try this with some dead Nokia Firewalls and a couple of 2960s.

It's like a regular barbeque! :D

Gamerazor89, theoretically, yes. Please note that Icrontic take no responsibility if you bake it too long and your mom tries to serve it for your dinner.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    If you're going to bake a lappy, make sure to remove all the plastic parts as possible.

I'll be striping the laptop down to just the mainboard if I can..... I'm a little concerned about the plastic CPU mount and the various other plastic connectors on the board....but as it stands, it's functionally dead, so no harm in trying

It would be interesting to see some benchmarks from the Baked GPU, I wonder how they stack up vs the previous unbaked state? Did it restore function at the same specs, or could baking cause a performance hit?
  • ido
    edited November 2009
    nice one!
    must mention that this is a good way fixing xbox 360`s rrod and ps3`s ylod.
    also a heat gun can be used insted of an oven , and dont forget 2 importent things:
    1-DONT move the board at all for a good few hours after the process!
    2-DO remember to apply thermal compound on the gpu after it cooled off.
    good luck to all the bakers!!!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    NOTE: Even though many things are better on grills then using an oven, this is not one of them. :D

Great article Lynx!!! :thumbsup:
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    "Like bringing Natty Boh (Ed: Lonestar?) to a party wrong."

offended. bringing Boh to a party is like when your Aunt Bertha brings her infamous green-jello-with-green-beans-because-they're-green-like-the-jello-so-they-must-match salad. it's gross, but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Dude, clean out the bottom of your oven. That shit's gross.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Shorty wrote:
    Bobby, this is currently circulating around my office. We are now deciding whether to try this with some dead Nokia Firewalls and a couple of 2960s.

It's like a regular barbeque! :D

hahaha! that's awesome.

ido: those are very good points. Forgetting thermal compound means your resurrected GPU won't enjoy the zombie life for long.

And yes, heat guns can also be used for this. I preferred an oven in this instance, as I had no idea where the actual fracture(s) was. Using an oven ensured even heat along every point on the board.
  • edited November 2009
    Wohoo,
    cool man.
    I have my 8800GTX still functioning. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try this if it fails. The 8800 GTX is an awesome piece of hardware that has yet to fail me after serving for 3 years now. It has kept my urge to upgrade in check so far.
    edited November 2009
    Dude, clean out the bottom of your oven. That shit's gross.

NO U
    Hamad wrote:
    Wohoo,
    cool man.
    I have my 8800GTX still functioning. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try this if it fails. The 8800 GTX is an awesome piece of hardware that has yet to fail me after serving for 3 years now. It has kept my urge to upgrade in check so far.

Yeah, I love the thing. It still gets by in most games today at full settings with minimal slowdown. I feel it's only now starting to be eclipsed by new game engines, which is impressive considering it's almost four year run
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Would heat guns introduce too much static?
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    lovingly done bobby. :]
    edited November 2009
    cherplunka wrote:
    lovingly done bobby. :]

Thanks! I had a feeling you'd enjoy this one, crossing video games and food in such a way...

Gargoyle wrote:
    Would heat guns introduce too much static?

That's a good question. Being inexperienced in the method, I don't have an answer. Anyone else?
  • edited November 2009
    So guys, I in fact have 2, yes thats right, 2 * 8800 cards, a gtx and a gts that have both been given me the blocks of garbled colours and textures as they slowly make their way into the dark abyss that is my spare room with all the other $500+ cards, cpu's, hard drives that have failed over the years. I'm going to try this on the weekend to both cards to see if it works and I will let you know!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Shorion, we want to hear your results! :D
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2009
    I did this to an old broken 8600GT. I was really doubting it but it worked! I was so happy :D
  • mjolliemjollie Texas
    edited November 2009
    I so wish I'd heard of this before I tossed the card. On the other hand, is there a better excuse for buying a new card?
    edited November 2009
    mjollie wrote:
    I so wish I'd heard of this before I tossed the card. On the other hand, is there a better excuse for buying a new card?

Perhaps the lottery.... but no, there aren't many. Of course, the 'I'm a geek, I need the newest stuff' excuse is always good enough for me ;)
    edited November 2009
    God.... I love this place. If I die, let me come back as a Server that hosts Icrontic!!!
    edited November 2009
    It would be interesting to see some benchmarks from the Baked GPU, I wonder how they stack up vs the previous unbaked state of the GPU? Did it restore function at the same specs, or could baking cause a performance hit even though it restored function?

I would expect it functions normally, but you never know...
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    photodude wrote:
    It would be interesting to see some benchmarks from the Baked GPU, I wonder how they stack up vs the previous unbaked state of the GPU? Did it restore function at the same specs, or could baking cause a performance hit even though it restored function?

I would expect it functions normally, but you never know...

I second.
    edited November 2009
    I see what you guys are doing here.

I'll run some numbers when I get the chance. Probably not until after the weekend.
    edited November 2009
    Just learned a friend's husband tried this with a dead Xbox360 after I posted it to facebook, result an undead Xbox360 with a nice toasty smell. I really look forward to doing this with my old laptop.
  • edited November 2009
    It works!

Fantastic solution. Best fix ever. Both cards now work and I've tested them with WIC and Left for dead 2 for 8+ hours on each and they are going strong.
    edited November 2009
    More satisfied customers. Good work Bobby!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2009
    Believe it or not, people also restore old audio and video tapes by baking them.

After decades of storage, the stuff that binds the oxide to the mylar base can start to break down, resulting in poor playback quality at best, and sometimes in irreversable damage to the source material. Baking the tape is a way to firm up the binder long enough get a digital transfer. The "recipe" is different for tapes than for PC boards, though :-) Lower temperature, but longer bake time, and you're supposed to flip them periodically, like pancakes...

I've never tried it myself, but http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html describes the process.

Wendy Carlos had to bake the masters for "Switched-On Bach" and her other early albums, when she wanted to release them on CD.
  • edited December 2009
    7800 GTX from a Dell xps, worked like a charm! Put it in the oven while heatup, kept it there for five minutes i full heat, then let it stay in the oven with the hatch open to let it slowly cool of.
    WHY didn't I see this a year ago?? The laptop's been laying around as a fancy paper weight for a year...
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Preliminary reports suggest that this just saved my 8600GTS as well. Will know for sure after work.

<3 Lynx for bringing this to my attention.
    edited December 2009
    we're all bakin' fools. I love it!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    When I was in Detroit last weekend, Thrax and I baked GQ's old 7900GT and his old 8800GTS (Prime has photos). I didn't have much time when I got home before I had to catch my flight out for the holidays, but a quick test with the 7900 suggests it's still borked. It's driving me nuts that I didn't get a chance to test the 8800, though. I'm hoping it worked for that one.
  • edited December 2009
    Just tried this last night with an old ATI 9000 in a dell Inspiron 8200. Seems to have worked. However need some help on the thermal compound. There's some blue putty foam(?) stuff on the GPU, appears to connect to heat sink on bottom of Keyboard (it is a laptop). Can I re-use this stuff? If I use Arctic Silver will I just be gluing the keyboard to the GPU preventing me from getting my computer apart in the future? Help!