Windows 7 Performance Index - Benchmark

13»

Comments

• photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited January 2010
    lordbean wrote:
    Also, your post is not entirely correct. In fact, the testing does random and sequential tests on both read and write performance.

good point, I would have expected random and sequential for read and write; I just didn't make the connection when I read it ( I should have assumed that based on the fact winsat refers to it as an I/O test)

so in way the harddrive test is really 4 tests
    random read
    random write
    sequential read
    sequential write
    and flush performance

SSD and SSD based RAID will get the best scores for this set of tests

I personally wish the test would also include a subscore with sustain-read and sustain-write

[was it really worth getting sarcastic with me over?] that's just the way I am...especially on weeks when it seems a number of people missed something I said. I can also see my first point could have been more precise....
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    No hard feelings, man. I just felt like it came out of nowhere, since there was nothing intended to be malicious in my comments about my array.

I agree, a sustain read / write test would be useful - in this case, my setup may not seek as fast as a single SSD, but it sure as hell sustains reading and writing at higher speeds. The overall score is a bit misleading in that regard.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    lordbean wrote:
    I agree, a sustain read / write test would be useful - in this case, my setup may not seek as fast as a single SSD, but it sure as hell sustains reading and writing at higher speeds. The overall score is a bit misleading in that regard.

In the sense that the Index is supposed to serve as a reference for the average user, I don't think it is at all misleading. The average user has far more to gain from low access times and especially random seek times than from transfer rates beyond say, 150MB/s.

That having been said, I do wish that the index would give more specific results when requested.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited January 2010
    mas0n wrote:
    In the sense that the Index is supposed to serve as a reference for the average user, I don't think it is at all misleading. The average user has far more to gain from low access times and especially random seek times than from transfer rates beyond say, 150MB/s.

That having been said, I do wish that the index would give more specific results when requested.

you can get a little more specific information if you run your own winsat tests rather then using the composite test.

as more media is entering the average users life; Transfer rates are becoming more importaint to everyone.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2010
    mas0n wrote:
    This is my new build on 2x30GB OCZ Vertex. CPU is backed down to 3.6GHz, DDR3 @ 1440MHz, and 5850 @ stock.

wpi.PNG

Nice!! Intel onboard raid? I wish AMD had better onboard raid. Hopefully I'll be getting a highpoint controller soon, and two more 30gb vertex's.

Here's mine. The HDD score fluctuates from a 6.9 to a 7.2.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    So I splurged on a Newegg deal and got myself 2 SSD drives about a week ago. I didn't set them up in a raid but I did install my main OS on the first drive & use the other drive for all my programs & games.

OCZ Vertex 60GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227394

OCZ Vertex 30GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

But the best part about it was the point jump in my Windows Index score in a non raid setup.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28253&stc=1&d=1268115182
    new.JPG 81.9K
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    croc_ wrote:
    Nice!! Intel onboard raid? I wish AMD had better onboard raid. Hopefully I'll be getting a highpoint controller soon, and two more 30gb vertex's.

Yes, the Vertex are on the ICH10R for now. I have a 3Ware 9690 but was getting constant I/O errors with the Vertex. It seems their firmware is not SSD friendly yet.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited March 2010
    Windowsexp.png

i run a 750g Seagate 3g/s SATA...makes me sadface. But im not about to go buy a raptor for the sake of my ePeen
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    M46h1n3 wrote:
    Windowsexp.png

i run a 750g Seagate 3g/s SATA...makes me sadface. But im not about to go buy a raptor for the sake of my ePeen

Any spindle drive outside of certain RAID configurations is going to hold you in the sub 6.0 range, because of the 16k random seek test. SSDs happen to excel at this type of operation, firmly slamming all spindle drives in the WEI. If you look at the detailed scores, I'd be willing to bet you've got a pretty decent score on everything but that one mark for the HDD.