Need advice on what to eat

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited January 2010 in Fitness
About two summers ago, I went all out on a fitness run. I ran a mile everyday, biked five miles, and did some pushups and crunches. Along with this I ate about 6-7 small meals a day and drank 2 liters of water everyday. This led to an AMAZING weight loss. The problem is, as soon as school started, I couldn't really keep up with the routine. Since then I gained a bit of weight and I figure there's no better time to get in shape than freshman year of college.

I got gym membership and it won't be a problem getting myself to go. The problem is my diet. Since I reside in dorms, I don't have a kitchen or anything I can cook with. I can't always make it to lunch or dinner in the commons and the always open restaurants on campus are far from healthy. There's a convenience store right next to the dorms that I can get stuff in. So here's my question: What should I eat to give myself all the necessary nutrients and calories to lose weight and gain muscle that would be available in a convenience store and not require cooking?

Comments

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Do you have a fridge (even a mini one) or access to a microwave? Can you go on semi-regular "real grocery store" runs (like once every couple weeks)?

Kashi has well balanced frozen meals if you have a place to store them and a microwave. Healthy choice just came out (or I just found out about them) shelf stable carb/protein/veggie meals that you can find with the soups in the grocery. Speaking of the soup aisle. Soups are getting healthier these days. Stay away from the cream based ones and you should be pretty good.

Apples and Bananas are ok stored for a while just sitting out. either with some peanut butter makes for a well balanced snack. Oranges do well too if you can eat them warm (I cant) or get some shelf stable fruit cups packed in water or light syrup.

If you aren't in a super humid area bread of the good variety will also store at room temp. that can be eaten with peanut butter and is healthy.

see if your on campus food choices have nutrition information posted. Many times they do have reasonably healthy choices, so don't completely disregard them just because the majority of students just grab the burgers and fries.

For on the go goodness you can't go wrong with a balanced protein bar like Think Thin.

Go to a store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. There are many choices in shelf stable, prep in a microwave or with hot water foods that are healthy.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited January 2010
    BetsyD wrote:
    Do you have a fridge (even a mini one) or access to a microwave? Can you go on semi-regular "real grocery store" runs (like once every couple weeks)?

Kashi has well balanced frozen meals if you have a place to store them and a microwave. Healthy choice just came out (or I just found out about them) shelf stable carb/protein/veggie meals that you can find with the soups in the grocery. Speaking of the soup aisle. Soups are getting healthier these days. Stay away from the cream based ones and you should be pretty good.

Apples and Bananas are ok stored for a while just sitting out. either with some peanut butter makes for a well balanced snack. Oranges do well too if you can eat them warm (I cant) or get some shelf stable fruit cups packed in water or light syrup.

If you aren't in a super humid area bread of the good variety will also store at room temp. that can be eaten with peanut butter and is healthy.

see if your on campus food choices have nutrition information posted. Many times they do have reasonably healthy choices, so don't completely disregard them just because the majority of students just grab the burgers and fries.

For on the go goodness you can't go wrong with a balanced protein bar like Think Thin.

Go to a store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. There are many choices in shelf stable, prep in a microwave or with hot water foods that are healthy.

I have a mini fridge and microwave but no Whole Foods or Trader Joes nearby. There's a Walmart close enough to go to if I had a car (which I won't have until next year). For now, I have to stick with what's on campus. The only grocery store close enough to walk has outrageous prices so that's not feasible.

PS, I forgot to mention I'm vegetarian, but I do eat eggs.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Watch what you drink. I'd go out on a limb and say that drinking soda and beer regularly would do a lot more damage than giving up and getting the grilled cheese in the 24/7 restaurant. I ate the grilled cheese a LOT throughout college (my motto was "better that than the cheeseburger and mozz sticks") but I avoided the soda fountain like the plague and didn't come out much worse for the wear. Do the least-bad option consistently and stick with water, milk, or real juice.

Keep your fridge stocked with portable stuff like applesauce and yogurt, and your cupboards with some healthy soups like Betsy said. Don't overeat and keep active, and I bet you'll be just fine. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I probably don't have much credibility in this area being what most would call a fatass, but I second what Linc said. Most people simply don't realize how much crap they are taking in by drinking soda, beer, etc. When I switched from soda to coffee to get my caffeine fix it did wonders for me. Not that I lost weight really, but I felt a helluva lot better. As for beer, never liked the stuff anyway.
    edited January 2010
    Well speaking of soups, do you guys know of any tasty soups that would be completely vegetarian? I don't drink beer really so that's not a problem and I'm going to try and cut out the soda and try to do at least 2 liter of water every day.

What other, specific, frozen foods/canned foods do you guys like that are good for you and vegetarian? I can probably make a Walmart run when my parents drop me of at school and stock up at least for a couple of weeks.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Buy some Tasty Bite meals. They're vegetarian, are heat-and-eat, and are damn delicious. A little pricey, but it's cheaper than eating out.
    edited January 2010
    That's actually a great suggestion. They have a College Care bundle on their website for $95 that looks like it would last me a month and the food looks tasty... Thanks!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Amy's have many soups that are vegan, but they're expensive. Careful with the national brands: check the label well. I read down the label of some of the Campbell's soups that look vegetarian, only to find pure chicken fat as one of the ingredients.