Laptop turns off suddenly even with battery when power cord is unplugged

garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
edited January 2010 in Hardware
Good day icrontic! My laptop suddenly turns off without any low battery alarm or such, and the battery life is still about 90%. i try to turn it on again but after a few seconds just after i opened the media player, it turned off again. There was no electricity last night so I decided to leave it off and go to sleep. This morning i tried to remove the battery and when i placed it back, the power LED turned on itself but shuts down after the bios loads. after a few tries with the same thing hoping it would turn on i got tired and left it for awhile. when i went back to my room to my surprise the screen is already in the vista logo. please help me :( thanks!

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Sounds to me like the battery has had most of its power cells enter a deep discharge state. A lithium ion battery is generally composed of three to twelve "cells", all of which discharge as the battery is used. Lithium Ion technology is limited by its charge state, however... if a cell discharges below a certain voltage level, it can no longer be safely recharged as it may explode. Li-Ion batteries have special protective circuitry that will not allow a deep-discharge state cell to be recharged. This state can be induced by simply leaving the battery alone for long enough - any lithium ion battery will eventually enter a deep discharge state if it is not recharged at least once every month or two.

Based on your description, it sounds like deep discharge has happened in most of the cells of your laptop's battery. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it - if you want to use the laptop unplugged, my only suggestion for you is to buy another battery for it.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the reply. for now, is it ok using my laptop with the battery on and plugged in power cord?
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the reply. for now, is it ok using my laptop with the battery on and plugged in power cord?

UPDATE: i tried to pull the cord again and use the battery this morning, everything is fine. But to make sure i will just drop by at the service center to have it checked. i wish the shut down yesterday was just a little glitch :(
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Whatever turns out to be the issue, the answer to your previous question is yes - it's fine to use a laptop plugged in, even with a bad battery. You just have to treat it like a normal computer and remember that it probably won't tolerate a power disruption.