Which Athlon for overclocking?

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never even looked into overclocking before this week.

I'm looking at two different Athlon II X4 CPUs, the 2.6 Ghz one, and the 2.8 Ghz one. All the reviews for both of them say that they're great for overclocking. There's loads of reports of getting both stably to 3.2 Ghz.

So i'm wondering: how complex or challenging would it be for a complete overclocking n00b to get one of those up to 3.2?

And, is the 2.8 just a 2.6 clocked higher, or are there other differences? (I.e., should I get buy the 2.6 Ghz model or the 2.8 Ghz model?).

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Buy the 2.6.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Buy the 2.6.

+1.

For a slightly more expanded reason, when you're planning to overclock you typically purchase the slowest processor in the desired line (that's why my PC has a Q9450 in it - slowest 12MB L2 quad) and then crank it up as far as it'll go. Typically, one processor "line" (line in this case meaning slew of models based on the same chip) generally has similar limits when you look at overclocking, whether the base speed of the chip is low or high. Therefore, you get more bang for your buck by purchasing the low end chip and pushing it to its reasonable maximum.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    A friend of mine said that if I was considering Overclocking, I should get an aftermarket heatsink or something for the CPU (as he's only ever seen a string of awful heatsinks on the Intel system he's built)

Is he right? And how do I go about picking one? Heatsink alone? Or fan as well?

(the case i'm getting comes with a side and back fan, and slots for two top fans and a front fan, both of which i'm going to install)
    edited January 2010
    I strongly recommend a cooler like the OCZ Vendetta 2 or Scythe Ninja 2 Rev. B on account of your budget concerns. These offer good performance at the lowest prices you can find (~$40 w/ fan) before you start entering the glut of shitty heatsinks which take the reins at lower pricepoints.
    edited January 2010
    Sweet, thanks. I'll look into that.
    edited January 2010
    Sadly, I can't find either on newegg, though I can find them floating around other sites. :|
    edited January 2010
    Newegg has a terrible selection of heatsinks. You'll have to go elsewhere if you ever want a quality HSF.
  • edited January 2010
    I you are going somewhere else than Newegg. I "highly" recommend this heatsink
    You will need an AM3 kit. I think this would work.
    edited January 2010
    OH hey, good call! THe TRUE Spirit is an amazing heatsink for an outstanding price! Get that one. SVC is a good site, too.
    edited January 2010
    So, the True Spirit goes in a 1366 socket, and the Thermalright Bolt-Thru Kit goes between the processor and heatsink to convert the 1366 socket to an AM3?

EDIT:
    The CoGage True Spirit Heatpipe CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Silent Fan for Intel LGA1366 is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item.

:(

Got any other good sites for heatsinks?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    We looked at the CoolIT ECO at CES and were fascinated with it.
    edited January 2010
    That'd push me outside my price range. I think i'll stick with the True Spirit.

I've been reading reviews, and it looks great.

As well, the CoGage brand AM3 bolt-thru kit looks identical to the Thermalright one, so that should be fine too.

I sent an email to SVC asking if they'll be getting any more in soon. Otherwise, I guess i'll have to look elsewhere on the 'net.
    edited January 2010
    SVC emailed me back. They got more in this morning! Woot!
  • edited January 2010
    I don't want to confuse you further. But I would compare the price of Phenom II X4 955 with the cost of AthlonII-X4+cooler before ordering.
    edited January 2010
    The Phenom would be $15 more expensive than the Athlon + Heatsink.

Three questions your confusion-inducing suggestion raises :p :

1. Does the Phenom have any other advantages over the Athlon besides the 0.6 more Ghz?
    2. According to one of my real life friends, I'd need an aftermarket heatsink anyways, as supplied heatsinks are always crap. True or False?
    3. Assuming I got the Phenom without an aftermarket heatsink, could the Phenom be oveclocked in the future if I got an aftermarket heatsink later?
    edited January 2010
    1. It is faster per MHz than the Athlon II. Perhaps by about 10-15%.
    2. Not crap, per se, but not good enough for any significant overclocking.
    3. Yes.
  • edited January 2010
    955 is 3.2 GHz, a lucky overclock would bring AthlonIIX4 to 3.4-3.5 GHz. Considering the 10-15% performance advantage of 955, 955 at stock speed is still faster than the overclocked AthlonIIX4. Add on top of that the future possibility of overclocking 955. 955 makes more sense to me without overclocking. If you had the heatsink already or not buying the heatsink, AthlonII would have made more sense for a limited budget.

But if you want to get overclocking experience and also the fun. I can very well understand that. I caught that bug long ago.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    mirage wrote:
    ..................But if you want to get overclocking experience and also the fun. I can very well understand that. I caught that bug long ago.

And very addictive!! What was the results of this issue??

Currently playing with a PII X4 945 and had to re-remember some of the fun points of OC'ing after 4 BEs! ;D Agree with mirage and Thrax on the 955 if you haven't yet. If this will be your first adventure in oc'ing being a BE would be great!
  • edited February 2010
    I think the discussion continues here
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I think the discussion continues here

:doh: THKS