OCing 9800GT With Rivatuner

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hey everyone

It's been awhile since I posted anything here on Icrontic but I've come across something I think you guys can help me with.

I got an nVidia GeForce 1gb 9800 GT for Christmas and have been experimenting with OCing it (why the heck not? It's a great card). I really only have experience OCing with ATItool and my old ATI Radeon X1300; I know it's a big step up :cool:

I've managed to teach myself the basics of Rivatuner and have all my profiles loaded and it works perfectly. Standard 2d is set to 350/700/110 and switches to 663/1480/975 for high performance 3d. It'll work fine for about 5 minutes with the temp only getting to about 55c but then it'll switch back to 2d settings.

Does anyone here know why it reverts? It's not possible to change it back once it does....

It's really horrible. Going from 40fps to 8 because it reverts to 2d settings :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    If the NVIDIA driver performs a GPU reset for any reason, the graphics card will lock into the lowest BIOS clock speed settings the card has. Before I modded my GTX 285 to increase the fan speed, it used to crash after about 20 minutes of gameplay in any game, and then get stuck in 2D mode, similar to what you describe.

Try forcing the card's fan to run at a high % duty cycle in Rivatuner. If that doesn't help, try reducing the clock speeds in your 3D profile - if the card is crashing because it's overclocked too far, dropping back a bit will help.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The fan settings have pre-sets for current temperature in intervals of 60% 80% 100% and system shut down at 85c. Heat is the last thing on my mind. It idles at 45c......

I was also getting a strange monitor purple and blue fuzz at start up before I lowered the settings (I'm using the lower settings now)

Any idea what component is causing it to GPU reset? Clock, Shader, Memory?

Nothing in my monitoring indicates I'm pushing it too far....
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited January 2010
    If you're getting artifacts it's either an unstable overclock or temps are getting to high.

55c at load means you have plenty of headroom in the temps department, so your overclock must be the culprit.

What do you mean by lower settings? Did you set everything back to stock?
    edited January 2010
    After the monitor flash? Ya. Had to go to safe mode and disable rivatuner to get my computer back up and running

Current OC 3D settings are 550/900 from 500/900. Shader doesn't show up after updating my Nvidia software though :(
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited January 2010
    I just updated my drivers to 196.21 and my shader clock isn't working on EVGA precision either. They will need to update Rivatuner and precision :(

You problem was probably that your overclock was too high, so going back to your previous drivers won't hurt.
    edited January 2010
    *shrugs*

Atleast now it loads properly when playing physx enabled games. Just won't let me change the settings without it resetting the sliders :(

Time to wait....
    edited January 2010
    I got sick of waiting for Rivatuner or Nvidia to give out an update so I went with EVGA Precision.

Up to 710/1500/900 right now with the temp only spiking at 57c....will post some benchmark scores soon
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Yeah the new EVGA Precision fixes the evil shader issue.

57C under load?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I just updated my drivers to 196.21 and my shader clock isn't working on EVGA precision either. They will need to update Rivatuner and precision
    You haven't been reading the tech news lately? The latest Nvidia GeForce drivers broke most overclock utilities' functions to one degree or another. Revert to 190.38, 195.62, or wait for the Nvidia fix. It's my understanding that EVGA Precision version 1.9.1 is compatible with the newest drivers. EVGA Precision 1.9.0 works perfectly with Forceware 195.62 and earlier releases.