Video Workouts

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Fitness
Cheryl (Fiance) and I have just finished Day 1 of the 30 Day Shred w/ Jillian Michaels. Boy did that kick my ass. I look forward to Day 30. This is my second challenge this year I am taking on, I lost my first 10 lbs using Wii fit during January. Was wondering if anyone else has experience with doing a video workout? Favorites? Ones to stay away from? Any suggestions on specific before or after workout food or drink dos or don'ts?

-Bobby

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    Well I haven't worked out to it but I've watched Carmen Electra's Strip-aerobics a couple times :thumbup:thumbup
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Well I haven't worked out to it but I've watched Carmen Electra's Strip-aerobics a couple times :thumbup:thumbup

;D
  • doozerdoozer Florida Member
    edited February 2010
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    Was wondering if anyone else has experience with doing a video workout? Favorites? Ones to stay away from? Any suggestions on specific before or after workout food or drink dos or don'ts?

-Bobby

I started p90x on Jan. 19th, if you want to work get this program. It is by far the hardest workout I've ever done.

As for the before/after drinks, I make sure I'm hydrated before hand and I never workout within an hour of eating anything. Immediately after I workout I get a cup of skim milk and throw it in a blender with 2 scoops of 100% vanilla whey protein with a packet of tangerine Emergen-C. Tastes like a orange cream-sicle and is probably the best thing you can drink after doing an intense workout.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Scientifically, it's best to eat carbs+protein one hour before workout, or to drink a 2% milk + whey protein shake 0-30 minutes before your workout.

The same is true after your workout: Eat/drink good carbs+protein within 30 minutes of finishing.

Never eat fat (oils, peanut butter) after your workout, because it directly inhibits protein synthesis.
  • doozerdoozer Florida Member
    edited February 2010
    Listen to him ^^^^

I just don't eat 'cause I throw it all up.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Scientifically, it's best to eat carbs+protein one hour before workout, or to drink a 2% milk + whey protein shake 0-30 minutes before your workout.

The same is true after your workout: Eat/drink good carbs+protein within 30 minutes of finishing.

Never eat fat (oils, peanut butter) after your workout, because it directly inhibits protein synthesis.

I did not know. Useful tip. Thanks Rob :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Update: The Feb 30 Day Shred failed due to a sinus infection with a matching headache around day 12 and then a Las Vegas trip.

But we started up on March 1st and 30 days later (yesterday) we finished day 30 of The 30 Day Shred. I wouldn't say we are "shredded" but it feels great to accomplish it. I have been averaging ~2-4 lbs of weight loss per week since the beginning of the year. As of last Saturday I was 229 down from 255 in December. We have been eating healthier and trying to walk between 1 and 2 miles 2-3 times a week during our lunch.

We introduced pedometers to our daily lives and I average 3000-3500 steps per day. When we walk it adds 1000 steps per 1/2 mile. On days we walk I average 7000-7500 steps. We are currently trying to get into the habit of drinking a gallon of water a day.

Thanks for the tips guys. With the whey protein shakes, I was under the impression that if you drank those and were not lifting weights that you would gain weight. Should I incorporate that into my daily even though I'm just trying to get rid of body fat and not necessarily trying to bulk muscle?

-Bobby