Trying to lose a few pounds...

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Fitness
When I was in High school, I used to work out and go running all the time.
I used to laugh at my Dad when he told me "All that eating will catch up to you"

But I have been graduated for about two years. About a month after I graduated is when reality hit. I realized that I did not have the time that I used to have for working out, running etc. But I did not think much of it.

Recently I got laid off from work. I had the perfect opportunity to start getting active. But instead I sat around and played video games, waiting for that call back to work.

Well when 2010 hit, I was bored. I was searching through all of my old pictures and I found a picture of myself. Its crazy how you do not even realize that you are gaining weight much, until you see a comparison. This single picture has given me motivation to get myself to look as good as I used too.

I know that I have gained weight around my waist and legs too. I don't even fit in a pair of pants that fit me perfectly fine in august.

When I told my family my new plans, they all told me that I am not fat and that I do not need to loose any weight. This bothers me. Yes, I realize that I did not gain THAT MUCH weight. I wouldn't say that I am fat, but I am getting chunky. I feel that there is no better time to get back into shape than now. Why not change my ways now, instead of making it harder on myself 3 years down the road?

I am going to post the old picture that I found along with a current pictures of me.

I need some help though. Back in high school, I took weight training classes that provided me with all of the equipment that I needed. So now, I do not have all this equipment. I do not really have the money for a gym membership right now, but I do have SOME equipment here at home. I have one machine (sitting bench press, lat pulls, leg curls, pectoral curls) and I have a curling bar with about 75 pounds of plates.

As for my diet. I really do not eat that much. I usually do not eat breakfast (I know its bad) and sometimes I only end up eating a little lunch and a dinner (usually NOT fast food)

I have never really had to worry about loosing weight before. Back in school, it was all about gaining weight. So I really do not know what to do.
My goal really is just to loose the extra pounds that I have gained. A little muscle would be nice, but I want to focus mostly on the fat for now.

I am hoping that someone here can tell me the best way to loose weight, with just the equipment that I have access to (without going to the gym). Any special workout plans, or advice?

EDIT: I just started running last week. Doing 30 minute runs through my neighborhood. I do not have a scale to weigh myself right now. I am planning on picking one up this week so that I can keep a log of any losses.

Comments

• LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The first thing that I would recommend is that you write down everything you eat. Don't estimate the portion either. Weigh or measure every single thing that goes into your mouth and log it. (This includes all beverages, too.) At the end of the day, add up the calories. (There are tons of calorie counters online to help you with this.) I have a hunch that you're eating more calories than you think you are.

Check out youtube or sparkpeople.com for videos on exercises that you can do at home with the weights and equipment you have.

Good luck and I thoroughly commend you for recognizing that you need to lose some weight now before it becomes a big, fat (get the pun?) problem!
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    LeahVoice wrote:
    The first thing that I would recommend is that you write down everything you eat. Don't estimate the portion either. Weigh or measure every single thing that goes into your mouth and log it. (This includes all beverages, too.) At the end of the day, add up the calories. (There are tons of calorie counters online to help you with this.) I have a hunch that you're eating more calories than you think you are.

Check out youtube or sparkpeople.com for videos on exercises that you can do at home with the weights and equipment you have.

Good luck and I thoroughly commend you for recognizing that you need to lose some weight now before it becomes a big, fat (get the pun?) problem!

Alright,
    Thanks for the reply :)
    I went out and got a scale today. I weighed in at just over 180 pounds. My Body fat % is about 18%.

I kept track of what I ate today and I added it all up.

Breakfast:
    8 oz of Orange Juice = 110 Calories
    A nature valley Granola bar = 180 Calories
    Lunch:
    Two turkey Sandwiches = 282 Calories (Including mayo, mustard, cheese etc)
    Bread = 320 Calories
    Dinner:
    Two fish fillets = 240 Calories
    Tbsn Mayo = 60 Calories
    And one can of Mountain dew because I am Addicted :( = 180 Calories.

So a total of 1,372 Calories today.
    I followed some online Calorie counters that all said that I should consume around 2500 calories a day, to possibly loose 1 pound a week with moderate exercise. (around 2900-3000 calories to maintain my current weight)

So 1,372 seems kind of low. But I feel good, I do not feel like I am starving myself. I also drank plenty of water.

Before I wouldn't eat much more, but your right I was probably consuming a lot more calories. I would eat more fatty foods. Like Frozen Burritos (which are 300 calories each), Chips and usually like 4 cans of pop a day or more.

I also ran for 40 minutes today. (Well not straight, I ran some and walked when I was out of breath) and I did a few stomach workouts today.

I feel like I had a good day. Hopefully I can keep this up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Eat 2000 calories a day, keep it clean, and you'll lose about a pound a week.
  • MaxenWMaxenW California
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Eat 2000 calories a day, keep it clean, and you'll lose about a pound a week.

Out of curiosity, do you subscribe to a calories are calories no matter where they come from as it pertains to weight loss theory

-OR-

a different foods have different net caloric affects on the body depending on what they are.

Is 2000 calories of taco bell the same as 2000 calories of lentil stew in terms of weight gain/loss? :respect:
    edited January 2010
    Different foods are scientifically proven to have considerable metabolic effect on the body. The actual process is called thermogenesis, with nutritionally rich or complicated foods eliciting a higher metabolic response.

In other words: "Keep it clean."
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    i approve of any thread containing shirtless men.

:approve:
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Different foods are scientifically proven to have considerable metabolic effect on the body. The actual process is called thermogenesis, with nutritionally rich or complicated foods eliciting a higher metabolic response.

In other words: "Keep it clean."

Hmmm,
    Any advice on what foods to eat, and not to eat?

Ill be keeping it at about 2000 Calories a day. Seems like a happy median.

I am going to try to run at least 5 days a week. Probably work my way up to running everyday. Because I have not ran in so long, I tend to be pretty sore the next day.

EDIT: Its gonna kill me to have to stay away from Taco Bell. lol
  • MaxenWMaxenW California
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm,
    EDIT: Its gonna kill me to have to stay away from Taco Bell. lol

It's taken me a while to work off my Taco Belly... too delicious.... so bad for you.:crazy:
    edited January 2010
    MaxenW wrote:
    It's taken me a while to work off my Taco Belly... too delicious.... so bad for you.:crazy:

Yea I know, Ive been addicted to it. I was eating it like twice a week.
    Its really gonna kill me when I am around someone else that is eating it. :D
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The fresco menu stuff isn't too bad. Not the healthiest, but much better than their other options. You could potentially swing eating it in moderation.
    edited January 2010
    The fresco menu stuff isn't too bad. Not the healthiest, but much better than their other options. You could potentially swing eating it in moderation.

This made me go out and get taco bell. lol
    I have been doing good though. Keeping it at 2,000 calories, and exercising a lot. I may not have lost any weight yet, but I feel like I have had more energy lately.
    edited January 2010
    I just thought that I would post an update now. It has been almost 3 weeks since I started.

I have lost just over 5 pounds. I do not see much of a difference yet, but I feel it for sure.

I have ran into a problem that I did not expect..... I cannot run anymore. I was running like four or five days a week, with no problem. But, the other day I went for a run and made it about 15 minutes before I had to stop because pretty harsh knee pain in both knees. I figured that I would give myself a rest for a few days. So I did. Then I tried running after about four days off, the pain was still there. So I decided to just work out and stop running for a bit, until I can see a doctor.

Other than my knees, I feel like I have a lot more energy. It feels good :)
    edited February 2010
    Switch to cycling (10 miles in 30-40 minutes), or jump roping (30 minutes at ~120 BPM).
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Switch to cycling (10 miles in 30-40 minutes), or jump roping (30 minutes at ~120 BPM).

Jump Roping.... Good idea. I am gonna have to find my old jump rope.
    edited February 2010
    Well, I can't find my jump rope.
    I am going to have to get a new one when I can.

My total weight loss so far is 8 pounds.

I take back what I said before about not seeing a difference yet. I have been taking status pictures, and I just looked at them. I see a pretty noticeable difference. Which gives me more motivation.

From the beginning, I told myself that I would have ONE exception. Superbowl. There was no way that I could pass up that once-a-year chance, to all the great party food that we had.
    I did work out for over an hour today though. And tomorrow, I plan to work off the rest of the extra calories that I took in today.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    One day of party food doesn't make a trend. So many people fall off their eating plan for one day and then give it up completely... I never understood that.

You have a healthy attitude about it, eating whatever you want and then continuing on your fitness. Good job!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    Yeah nothing wrong with exceptions or rewards, as long as they are exceptions and rewards. Eating McD's every day isn't a reward anymore. Plus keep in mind that generally as long as you keep the calories down and still exercise you can keep shedding weight.

If you are also doing the high protein before/after your workouts you won't lose weight as quickly as someone who is just exercising as you are going to be gaining muscle mass quicker. You should however notice physical changes just as quickly (possibly more) less weight changes.
    edited February 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Yeah nothing wrong with exceptions or rewards, as long as they are exceptions and rewards. Eating McD's every day isn't a reward anymore. Plus keep in mind that generally as long as you keep the calories down and still exercise you can keep shedding weight.

If you are also doing the high protein before/after your workouts you won't lose weight as quickly as someone who is just exercising as you are going to be gaining muscle mass quicker. You should however notice physical changes just as quickly (possibly more) less weight changes.

Yea. I have not ate out since I had taco bell on the 17th of January (besides the occasional subway)

I have not had a pop since I started. It was killing me at first because I was literally addicted. But it does not bother me anymore :). Just water, tea, 2% milk, and occasional orange/fruit juice.

I DO take Whey protein shakes before I work out. I figured that since I am on a low cal. diet, I probably am not taking in enough protein for my muscles to benefit. I know for a fact that I have gained muscle because I can rep like twice as much as I could when I first started. Which is a huge motivation boost. :rockon:

Also, Thanks a lot GHoosdum
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    drink moar water!

1st and last rule to any weight loss plan.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Just curious about this bit:
    Two turkey Sandwiches = 282 Calories (Including mayo, mustard, cheese etc)

Now medium sliced bread is roughly 80 calories per slice which would mean 2 sandwiches = 4 slices = 320 calories from just the bread alone. Mayo and cheese would push the calorie rating through the roof and I'd imagine you'd be looking at maybe 600 calories for all this rather than just 300. Unless I'm missing something obvious here?
    edited February 2010
    Enverex wrote:
    Just curious about this bit:

Now medium sliced bread is roughly 80 calories per slice which would mean 2 sandwiches = 4 slices = 320 calories from just the bread alone. Mayo and cheese would push the calorie rating through the roof and I'd imagine you'd be looking at maybe 600 calories for all this rather than just 300. Unless I'm missing something obvious here?

You are absolutely correct.
    At first I forgot to add the bread in. But It is there, underneath the sandwiches.

"Two turkey Sandwiches = 282 Calories (Including mayo, mustard, cheese etc)
    Bread = 320 Calories"

I recently found some grain bread that is 70 calories for two slices though. Pretty good stuff.

Well today, I am planning on taking my lady out to eat for the special day. Finding something healthy from the menu, instead of a juicy burger, is gonna be rather challenging.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Good luck with the meal.

Not sure why I hadn't noticed the bread being on the next line as I couldn't possibly have read it without thinking "he was eating bread on its own?" lol. That grain bread does sound interesting, shame I've not seen anything around here like that.
    edited February 2010
    Enverex wrote:
    Good luck with the meal.

Not sure why I hadn't noticed the bread being on the next line as I couldn't possibly have read it without thinking "he was eating bread on its own?" lol. That grain bread does sound interesting, shame I've not seen anything around here like that.

It was actually Meijers brand, 98% fat free, Light wheat and multi-grain. It had oats on the top. I was surprised that a Meijers brand bread would be that good. But it was pretty tasty. And at 70 calories for two slices - pretty healthy too.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/meijer/light-wheat-bread
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm not exactly an authority on healthy living, but I do find that the Meijer Naturals and Organics lines have some really great food that seems to be quite a bit better than their "normal" equivalents. Or so it seems from reading the labels at 1am when I'm grocery shopping.
    edited February 2010
    That bread isn't any better than white bread. "Enriched wheat flour" is another word for white flour. For a flour or flour-based product to be truly whole-grain, it must explicitly list “whole-grain wheat flour” as a primary ingredient. That is also the only actually healthy sort of bread.
    edited March 2010
    Well, I thought that I would post a little update...

I have lost just over 15 pounds. I am still keeping the diet going. I have not had much time to do any exercising lately though. Ive been so busy letely. I just got a new job, along with school. This week was a little hectic. Hopefully when I get used to my job hours and my schooling, I can make more time for exercising.

I have been taking status pictures. There is a very noticeable difference. I have lost fat just about everywhere. My legs, my stomach, my arms, my shoulders. But I am having trouble getting rid of those pesky side "handles".

I tried on some swimming trunks that I used to wear like a year or two ago. They finally fit again. They push my side "handles" out a little, making me look a litter bigger, but they finally fit again! :)

EDIT:
    Also Thrax, Thanks for the information about the bread. I changed to real whole grain bread.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2010
    Congrats on keeping it up. Just remember every little bit of exercise counts and I've found that even when I've had a hell of a even 20-30 mins before I crash at night helps. Do some push ups, some sit-ups, reverse crunches, running on the spot and just jump up and down jump rope style with or without a rope. Create a simple routine for yourself and it helps to get the stress out and will help you sleep so you feel more refreshed.

Something jog on the spot for about 1-2 minutes to get the heart pumping. Then do about 150 jumps, 15-20 push ups, 20-30 crunches, 20-30 reverse crunches. Then repeat the whole routine. No equipment and hardly any time wasted, you can do it while watching TV also.
    edited March 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Congrats on keeping it up. Just remember every little bit of exercise counts and I've found that even when I've had a hell of a even 20-30 mins before I crash at night helps. Do some push ups, some sit-ups, reverse crunches, running on the spot and just jump up and down jump rope style with or without a rope. Create a simple routine for yourself and it helps to get the stress out and will help you sleep so you feel more refreshed.

Something jog on the spot for about 1-2 minutes to get the heart pumping. Then do about 150 jumps, 15-20 push ups, 20-30 crunches, 20-30 reverse crunches. Then repeat the whole routine. No equipment and hardly any time wasted, you can do it while watching TV also.

Thanks kryyst.
    Yea I have been doing some ab exercises at night. Crunches, Planks etc...
    I hope to start running again... It will be a lot easier to run now, since it is starting to get nicer out.
    edited March 2010
    I decided to post a Status (before/after) picture....

I have lost quite a bit of weight. It is just my sides "handles" that are taking forever to go away. That and my legs..... I had gained weight so fast that I started to notice stretch marks on my inner thighs back in the fall. It looks like I lost a lot of weight on my legs, but I still got some more to go.

I think ill give it another month or so, and then I am going to start trying to gain muscle weight. I am still going to keep up the healthy diet though. It gives me more energy, and makes me feel better.

This picture is a huge motivation booster to me. :rockon::)
    The fact that I lost weight even on my face... which I didn't even know was getting fat before... feels good.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    My opinion is ti go for Acai berries diet pills. Acai berries contain fiber which helps move food through your digestive tract. It is not a miracle diet pill but it is a super rich antioxidant that will help support you in your weight loss goals. It is a rich super food that could help you by supplying the nutrient rich ingredients your body needs to lose weight easier. [FONT=&quot]<o></o>[/FONT]

you should use that 1 trick to a tiny belly, too...