Diagnose with Memtest86+

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
One of the recommended steps to diagnose a problem with a PC that is crashing or unstable is to test and diagnose memory because memory is one of the more likely hardware components that can fail. Faulty memory can cause many problems even if the PC continues to operate.

Read it here

Comments

• edited December 2004
    "The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, then you have bad ram. If you see any other number than "0" in the "pass" line then your memory is good. It's that easy!"
    ..but...
    what does it mean if the "errors" line says 8 (bad ram) and the "pass" line says 8, too? (good ram)
    Thats what I see on the screenshot..
    Can some1 explain?
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2004
    Good guide prime. Nice and clear about what to download, how to make the floppy and how to run memtest. :thumbsup:

I'l give memtest a go when I have time

:)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    "The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, then you have bad ram. If you see any other number than "0" in the "pass" line then your memory is good. It's that easy!"
    ..but...
    what does it mean if the "errors" line says 8 (bad ram) and the "pass" line says 8, too? (good ram)
    Thats what I see on the screenshot..
    Can some1 explain?

Those are not "8"s, those are "0"s........
  • edited December 2004

ANY errors at all means your memory is bad.

What I find interesting about this article is that motherboard and CPU issues aren't mentioned. I have been using Memtest86 for a long time, and have come across a LOT of bad memory, but I've also found bad motherboards and one bad P4 2.8C CPU.
  • edited December 2004
    Thank You for the clear and concise instructions, this has been most helpful!
  • MM
    edited April 2009
    Well, I have 4 passes and 10,000,000 errors. I have no doubts I have a bad RAM, but what's that with the >0 passes is good?
    Thanks
  • edited May 2009
    *sigh* If we forget to put a email, please for god's sake don't clear the entire post when I hit the back button... Onward to what I said early, before it all got deleted.

Passes are not good. They just mean that the test is complete. You will see when test hits 100% pass will go up 1 and the test will restart.

Simple rule:
    if error>0 then bad ram,
    if pass>1 and error=0 then good ram,
    if pass=0 then your test is not finished.

Kairos
  • edited October 2009
    Great Job !
    Stay Well ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks great guide and very helpful
  • edited January 2010
    Hi.
    Well, I'm trying to test my RAM, but I have a problem...
    I'm using an Acer Aspire One, which doesn't has neither CD Drive neither Floppy Drive, so I have to use USB, so... can you help me with this? =D
    Since I'm not an advanced user...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You need to create a bootable USB key, then download the "Pre-compiled EXE file for USB key" from here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
  • edited February 2010
    great info. I used it to detect a faulty brand new memory stick bought from bestbuy :)
  • edited May 2010
    Very nice and clear tutorial... thanks a lot.

JJ

PS, better use a code to fill-out instead of that stupid Human/Spambot question...
  • edited June 2010
    I burnt a CD on a laptop using Alex Feinman's ISO recorder for Windows7 (the operating system of the laptop) but the CD won't boot my computer. It just tries to start Windows XP and the goes back to the BSOD. I used a formatted CD-RW. Should I have burnt the disk image onto an unformatted CD?
    edited June 2010
    Yes, ISOs should be burned onto unformatted CDs
  • edited June 2010
    An error does not mean that a RAM module is bad. Something is wrong but it can also be caused by the motherboard, RAM slot, chipset, CPU...
  • edited October 2010
    So, if my memtest (after 3 of the 7 included tests) gives me more than 3 milion errors (in 512 RAM), it is seriously fried.

Would that indicate that the harddrive also has been destroyed?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Yes, your RAM is toast. It doesn't say anything about your hard drive.
  • edited April 2011
    I ran the memtest86+ using usb and it ran for overnight with 12 passes and on and 0 errors. How many tests are there totally. Or is that testing same thing again and again. Does 12 passes and 0 errors mean my RAM is good..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Your RAM is good.
  • edited April 2011
    I have been getting lot of different bsod whenever i boot. I was suspecting on RAM. thanks to memtest86+.
    edited April 2011
    If you're getting BSOD at boot it could be a power issue.
  • edited April 2011
    i tested one of my ram. may be other one is fault. i havent tested it yet. if that too ok then it might be as you said..
  • edited April 2011
    my another RAM has got more than 1000 errors in few seconds testing. Now no BSOD anymore if I use the good one. But still i cannot open any application. please re install application cannot load rundll.dll, shell32.dll...etc. I tested my harddrive using SeaTools and result is passed.
    Is this case clearly means that no fault in any of the hardware including PSU?.
  • edited April 2011
    i got everything working now after removing the toast RAM.
    thanks to author(primesuspect) and big thanks to MemTest86+.
  • edited July 2011
    I am doing memtest86 and the test is just 15% completed and it has 0 pass and 7 errors. I can understand that that error comes at test #4. So i think something is wrong with RAM but i dont understand whats the situation. and what i need to do now? I need to replace RAM? need to check each slot?
  • edited July 2011
    Memtest86 is not going further from Pass 23%, Test 16%, Test #5........This screen is as it is since last 25 mins. Nothing is getting change and its still. What that mean?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    You can read the RAM memory location and see if it is first stick, second stick etc (assuming you have multiple sticks). I would reverse them and test again. If the same stick errors, you can replace it. If the same slot errors, then you have a bad mobo/memory controller and you would have to replace whole board.
  • edited August 2011
    I have 4GB (2 2GB sticks) and I get errors during the the test. When I run the test on the each 2gb stick individually, the tests run fine with no errors. Any suggestions?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Try clearing cmos/battery and run memtest86 with both sticks.