Steam for OS X? Yes, please!

chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
edited February 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Now if only the unibody macbook pros didn't have crippled fans...
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and yes, I do use SMC fan and crank them up to 5-6k rpm when I game. It still doesn't matter sometimes. Counter Strike: Source crashes about every 15-20 minutes due to overheating.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    OMGEEE! This makes me a happy panda.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    People have been hacking steam onto OS X through wine for a while now. Could be that they are just rolling out a less - hack required - version for it. Which is a good thing. But just having the source to get games available is still some time away from easily making the games playable.

But thanks to more (though still minimal) opengl games that to is coming closer through wine.
  • edited February 2010
    Cutting my optimistic side some slack, I saw a comment somewhere theorizing that perhaps Steam, Valve, or other publishers could cut a deal with the Codeweavers guys to use CrossOver Mac tech to emulate some games that won't be ported right away. They'd probably have to up the requirements for these games, and it certainly wouldn't be very elegant. But it would definitely be one way to say "look, we have Left 4 Dead 2, Modern Warfare Whatever, and others ready for Mac on day 1!"

Then again, they probably haven't made any such deals, and the selection will be, at best, decent for opening day. Still, I'll take it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Even better, you may get to pay a reasonable price for Mac games. Imagine being able to play that five year old game for $10 instead of the $50 the Apple store expects you to pay.