AMD Catalyst 10.3 released, big changes afoot

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Damnit. I couldn't care less about 3% improvements in $RANDOM_GAME. I would, however, like a driver that doesn't cause sporadic gray screens and throws my color calibration out the window.

Pretty please?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I thought they fixed the gray screen of graphic death?
    edited March 2010
    Not in 10.2, at least - I see it when I game. Not always, but enough to kill me if I'm in TF2. It recovers after a minute or two, but it's pretty annoying.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I just put win7 64 bit on a family members laptop with 10.2 and the graphics driver continuously crashes and recovers. I really hope this fixes that issue.
    edited March 2010
    I got it all the time with my 5970 so I said peace to the card and sold it. It maybe DX11 but whats the point if it crashes all the time?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I get the crash error while playing Borderlands, to the point where it locks up the game for a little while. Very annoying.

I wonder if ATI is going to setting in with their own 3D solution any time soon. This driver adds support for 3rd party options, but I'd think ATI would want to get their own deal going before too long. NVIDIA has 3D Vision, which is really the only major kit for 3D on PC right now.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, I'm not happy hearing these crash reports. My mobo should be coming back from RMA soon, and I exchanged my GTX 285 for a single 5770 (was planning on buying a second one in the next month) .... but this is discouraging. Hopefully, I won't encounter the problems you rich kids with your new-fangled giant cards get into.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Do you guys know how to properly upgrade a graphics driver?

My 5870 plays everything like butter and never crashes, ever. I have been using it for months, I have yet to see a VPU recovery screen. I'm running 10.1 right now.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'm not having any problems with 10.1 on my 5770, but I only play 2 games and fold. I might give 10.3 a try since there seem to be some performance increases.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Do you guys know how to properly upgrade a graphics driver?

My 5870 plays everything like butter and never crashes, ever. I have been using it for months, I have yet to see a VPU recovery screen. I'm running 10.1 right now.

Double click exe, wait, reboot. If it's anything more complicated than that, the manufacturer has failed.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    I love how they are paying attention to the people with the 4800 series cards, this really makes me happy!
    edited March 2010
    I love how condescending Cliff is.

You know how capable we all are, sir. Let's not get snippy - AMD's drivers have plain sucked out loud for many people lately.
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I love how condescending Cliff is.

You know how capable we all are, sir. Let's not get snippy - AMD's drivers have plain sucked out loud for many people lately.

Oh, its was just a light troll, roll with it :wink:

Honestly, for me, I'm not making this up, I have not had a single issue. Now, I'm not as critical about color accuracy as you are, so I can understand that issue, but constant VPU crashes? I have been using a 5870 for months not a single VPU recovery error, I install Radeon graphics in every system I build for others and they have not had problems that I am aware of.

Now, when I update drivers I do it the old fashioned way cleaning the old one out, but I'm just silly like that.
    edited March 2010
    I've had no problems with an xbox 360, but you don't consider that normal, either. ;)

I don't know if it's constant VPU crashes - one of my screens goes gray, the other goes a lovely shade of peach or salmon, everything freezes and sound loops for a couple of minutes - but then everything goes back to normal and I'm good to go. To me, it seems like a possible overheating issue, but case and GPU temps report fine, so... :shrug:.

When I had driver recoveries using a GTX2whateverthehellIwasrunning, Windows would always tell me nicely that my graphics driver had failed and come back - no such notifications here, which is why I'm not certain it's a VPU crash and recovery.
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I've had no problems with an xbox 360, but you don't consider that normal, either. ;)

Well played :respect:
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Double click exe, wait, reboot. If it's anything more complicated than that, the manufacturer has failed.

Soooooo true !
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Nothing for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. :( My load times are atrocious. I can't get into games until people have already capped a point. It's definitely not memory, CPU, or hard drive. Many sites have locked it down to how ATI handles shaders. /shrug. Maybe it will make a difference, but they didn't list it.
    edited March 2010
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Nothing for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. :( My load times are atrocious. I can't get into games until people have already capped a point. It's definitely not memory, CPU, or hard drive. Many sites have locked it down to how ATI handles shaders. /shrug. Maybe it will make a difference, but they didn't list it.

ATI driver lead Terry Makedon acknowledged today on Twitter that it's an outstanding issue and that the company is working on resolving it.
    edited March 2010
    Overall I have tested a few ATI cards. When they work they are awesome cards, but when they don't like I ran into.. its beyond annoying. Even with Nvidia's snafu with 196.75 their drivers I can still play my games and not have random driver crashes & gray screens.
    edited March 2010
    Just a dead video card, which I'm sure is much better. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    I've been getting 'grey screens of death' as other Windows 7 5000 series users call them - often. I hope the 10.3 drivers address the issue, or a hotfix is released soon.
  • Ian
    edited March 2010
    Hmm I might have lucked out on my new build cause I haven't had a single problem with my HD5850...along with my 4 year old xbox360 =D
    edited March 2010
    Cyclonite wrote:

ATI & Nvidia have had problems with the CPU & GPU accessing the same data files. Nvidia found away around this and it allows their product to stream the files on GPU & CPU at the same time. ATI has not resolved this issue. It is a work around that they will hot fix. This issue is occurring not only in BFBC2.
    Thrax wrote:
    Just a dead video card, which I'm sure is much better. ;)

It only affected a few cards from a small group of cards. A bunch of people blew it up trying to get new cards from Nvidia... pretty sad what people will do in a tight economy. But even if I did get a dead card all my products I buy retain a lifetime warranty.
  • edited March 2010
    Well played :respect:

Exemplary sportsmanship :rockon:
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    how come all the links take to you to the mobility drivers? Even the "Desktop" ones?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    ATI & Nvidia have had problems with the CPU & GPU accessing the same data files. Nvidia found away around this and it allows their product to stream the files on GPU & CPU at the same time. ATI has not resolved this issue. It is a work around that they will hot fix. This issue is occurring not only in BFBC2.

Thanks, Sledge. That's a much better explanation than I could find.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if 10.3 will fix the problem with NWN crashing at launch every time. I just had to roll back from 10.2 to 10.1 just so I could play my weekly campaign :(
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    Curious to hear about all these issues people are having - I've used every catalyst version except 10.2 (which I somehow managed to skip) on my dual HD5850 configuration, and whether running crossfired or stand-alone for more monitors, synchronous or asynchronous clock speeds, I have yet to see a gray-screen or VPU reset.

Knock on wood, I guess. Still got my GTX 285 if all else fails.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    10.3 fixed whatever issue caused Neverwinter Nights to crash. This makes me a very happy camper.