If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

FedEx - 8 packages sent from 1 facility in 4 different delivery trucks

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited Mar 2010 in The Pub
I want to punch FedEx in the face. 8 packages sent from 1 facility in 4 different delivery trucks. They all ships from that facility within 8 minutes of each other & none of them are oversized. I have so far had 3 trucks deliver to my house today.

You got to wonder how that system works... FedEx is on the verge of going bankrupt and you see crap like this. Just makes you wonder.

Comments

• edited Mar 2010
    I have to admit ignorance in this case. Fedex is on the verge of bankruptcy? Could I get a link to some sort of article or financial report that supports this assertion? This apparently flew beneath my outdated cognitive radar.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited Mar 2010
    Not all doom and gloom but seems like there is something to it.

http://www.businessweek.com/executivesummary/archives/2009/03/fedex_will_deli.html
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    Overall FedEx raised their prices early this quarter to avoid losses. but their last report came in just above the red.. But investors know whats up.. stock is way down & UPS is going up :)

They may not be going bankrupt but they are going to be hurting.
  • edited Mar 2010
    UPS is going up :)

Interesting. I just took a quick at their income statements and admit I had no idea UPS was kicking the tar out FedEx to that degree. Think it might be the handsome brown trucks?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    Interesting. I just took a quick at their income statements and admit I had no idea UPS was kicking the tar out FedEx to that degree. Think it might be the handsome brown trucks?

And with the USPS loosing money all they really need to do is bring their prices into 2010. I would not mind paying twice what I do to mail a letter, or a buck more per flat rate box. Its would still be the best deal in shipping.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    fedex's stock is higher than it's been since late 2007...well actually right about where it was in late 2008. basically constant between 2007-2008
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    Where does DHL stand in all of this? I've only had things shipped by them a couple times in the past but they've always seemed to get it there quickly.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    I can't remember where I heard this, but I think DHL is rumored to be looking to shift its assets off onto another parcel carrier, or getting out of the small package game entirely.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    DHL is doing okay... They actually work with USPS a lot. They are a big company but are still trying to get to the size of UPS & FedEx
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    It must be noted that companies like UPS and FedEx don't just do simple parcel deliveries, they also do supply chain management for plenty of companies. UPS alone handles logistics for IBM, Cisco and Dell. Contracts that run in the millions.

IIRC DHL left the US market for small packages.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited Mar 2010
    UPS is fine for destinations within the same country, often cheaper then Fedex in most cases. However if you are going international UPS is horrible Fedex blows it out of the water any time. UPS's biggest sticking point is that they don't do their own brokerage so they rape the end customer with charges often equal to, if not more then the original price of the item. Fedex on the other hand does their own internal brokerage so they almost never have problems.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    DHL did tons of handoffs to the USPS when they were in that business in the US.

They're still pretty big over here - much more frequently seen than Fedex or UPS, for sure.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    USPS_Logo_Square.jpg

that is all you will ever need ;)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited Mar 2010
    Whenever I hear DHL, I think of DHL's co-founder, Larry Hillblom, and his death. It's an interesting story with all the trappings of a good conspiracy. Someone just needs to make the movie already.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    I think somebody needs to give the thread a link!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited Mar 2010
    Here is one. http://dna-view.com/hillblom.htm The crux of it is you had a mega millionaire running around Asian islands paying for 14 year old virgins. He was in a plane crash, yet his body was never found, but the other passengers and pilot were. Then there is the case of the missing DNA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Hillblom

Makes you wonder if D&L wanted to get rid of the H in DHL. His death happen right in the middle of Deutsche Post's slow take over of the company.